10GB of RAM out of 12GB sometimes shows up - ideas?

prasvt

Gawd
Hey guys... so having a weird ram issue - please see the system specs in my sig. I've got 12GB of the G. Skill Trident running @ about 1638Mhz (well below spec), CAS 9, 1.64V. My system is OC'd to 4.3ghz at the moment (was at 4.4 but backed off a little).

Sometimes between reboots, the system will boot and only show 10GB of RAM - the system will boot and work normally, but it's only 10. If I shut down and restart, it'll show 12 again. When the system is up it runs fine - most of the time now days I'm just encoding blu-ray rips.

My Asus board has some in-built memory diagnostics (that I need to read up on) - just wanted to know what's the least painful way of going about troubleshooting this issue.

Is one stick bad? Kind of tough to pin-point when there are 6 of 'em. Is it the board?

Any pointers on the best way to trouble shoot would be helpful.

Thanks.

I'd say go get memtest86+. Run that and see what happens.

this?

I would say that a stick is faulting. next time it happens, open up cpu-z or something similar and itll show u which dimm slot isnt being read.

Ahh good call on CPU-Z. Didn't think of that- word I'll check that and run memtest. Yeah I know 12gb is a bit of overkill :). Thanks!

Okay - very odd. I rebooted and it's showing 10GB of ram in Task Manager as well as the boot up screen when the machine is first powered on. However, CPU-Z shows 12288MBytes of RAM and all 6 slots show up in the SPD tab.

Okay - trying HWM BlackBox. As I cycle through the RAM slots it, it shows the Module Slot #.

Ram #1 = DIMM0
Ram #2 = DIMM1
Ram #3 = DIMM2
Ram #4 = DIMM3
Ram #5 = DIMM4
Ram #6 = DIMM4

Presumably it should be DIMM5. So maybe it's the last stick...

Back