10GB network and large files

TeleFragger

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok so I just got a procurve switch in and now I have 6x cx4 ports. If you followed my other long post on how to get these old hp nic setup in eth mode and working together..

so dilemma..
I have a win10 box and a server 2016...
copying files between SSD and SSD, I am getting 700MB/s+ which seems good.

I copy a 1.5gb file in seconds.. shweet!!!!!
3gb file goes as well...
BUT... a 7.5 iso starts flying until it hits 1.6gb left and slams into a wall... any help on what to look for?

so this is happened on the switch to which I did nothing but plug it in as I got it off ebay and was factory reset.

to then I also just went pier to pier to test and getting the same issue.... well has to be a setting?

how can I type a command in windows to get the config? I verified both systems settings in network configure were the same.

I threw together a quick video..
https://www.flickr.com/photos/144784186@N04/shares/D0kV9n

turns our ram drive shows no issues...thus my problem is with a drive... sending or receiving so now im onto that.. hah

10gb link

upload_2019-1-18_16-52-1.png

1gb link

upload_2019-1-18_16-52-18.png

so its definitely faster.. 10x... no.. but good enough for the $55 im into it!!!!!!!!!!

I had the almost same "problem". In a 1Gb network it didn't show up because the "wall" was at around 120-130 MB/s.
Worth of trying this.
For me it turned out to be the Windows caching. The normal SMB (network shares) copying uses caching on both source machine and destination. The destination's RAM is filled with the maximum network speed (8-900MB/s) and when it hits the ceiling (few hundred MB free) the speed plummets to around 120-125MB/s until the end of the copy. During this plummeting the cache is simultaneously written to the disk as well as the new data coming from the network. The destination is a HDD capable of 180-90MB/s if I copy through FTP for example.
What I found was that I needed to use unbuffered copy mode. Some programs allow that, not Explorer. I use an explorer alternative which has this tweak and it solved this problem for me. Now it copies from start to finish with constant speeds (~180MB/s) through the network, and higher if on the same machine.

Last edited:
so now the wall is hard drives...

I copied from win10 ramdrive to server 2016 SSD... albeit an old one..
120gb ssd and got 30MB/s transfer through the 10gb!!!!!
shared out a 500gb I got in the server as well and it did jump drastically... jumped too 200MB/s - ish….

so how does one get great throughput copying from machine to machine without the drives now being the issue?

my current rig im on that I have not put into the testing yet has NVMe drives... Samsung... PM961 and SM951...

ive got a crap load of hw to sell so gotta get a list of it all up and put on the f/s section.. everything from wd 2tb black drives to xeon cpu's to 4gb pc1333 dims... mobo, etc...

so I gotta figure out what I will need to buy in the end..... and figure out how to get rid of the bottlenecks.
looking at doing a freenas server with an iscsi share to my esxi server... but also have a win10 server as im comfortable with that running essentials role and stable bit drive pool... and my win10 gaming rig..

looking to do 5 10gb connections and be able to smile when I copy files... not frown... hah...

It's very likely the drives themselves- SSDs slow down with sustained writes, at least the cheaper ones, where this sort of workload is rather uncommon.

Look at MLC drives instead of TLC/3D NAND/QLC like Samsung's Pro drives.

I had the almost same "problem". In a 1Gb network it didn't show up because the "wall" was at around 120-130 MB/s.
Worth of trying this.
For me it turned out to be the Windows caching. The normal SMB (network shares) copying uses caching on both source machine and destination. The destination's RAM is filled with the maximum network speed (8-900MB/s) and when it hits the ceiling (few hundred MB free) the speed plummets to around 120-125MB/s until the end of the copy. During this plummeting the cache is simultaneously written to the disk as well as the new data coming from the network. The destination is a HDD capable of 180-90MB/s if I copy through FTP for example.
What I found was that I needed to use unbuffered copy mode. Some programs allow that, not Explorer. I use an explorer alternative which has this tweak and it solved this problem for me. Now it copies from start to finish with constant speeds (~180MB/s) through the network, and higher if on the same machine.

What is you're alternative software?

What is you're alternative software?
I personally use Xyplorer and just recently when I was fiddling around about copy speeds when I found it supports this. A tweak in the ini file activates unbuffered copy while using custom copy.
Also,I tried teracopy, it also copies unbuffered it seems.

Back