10980XE - equivalent to SoC Voltage? (Not stable with 128G)

1623209482465.png

Time spy run (10,9).

1623209531596.png

1623209576681.png

1623209633336.png

Where is the graphing?
But that doesn't rule out the possibility that the program is the issue and not pushing clockspeeds up the way it should. By increasing the minimum clockspeed to avoid downclocking you can remove this variable from the test.
Tempted to lock all cores to 3.8Ghz. It should hold that fine in windows. EZTune? Disable SpeedStep?

Attachments

• 1623209518851.png
    1623209518851.png
    29 KB · Views: 0
Well, I pushed the button in easytune and got an instant BSOD.
Don't use Windows software to overclock.

Go in your bios. Before you ask what to set, we need to see your bios. The only thing I would change is your core voltages to 1.2 and set your cores to 4.0. Most 10980xe should be able to get between 4.0-4.5 fairly easily. I would only be concerned about your temps if you start going past 4.4Ghz and don't have a good cooler.

Tempted to lock all cores to 3.8Ghz. It should hold that fine in windows. EZTune? Disable SpeedStep?
Just go into power management options and in the Advanced Power Management/Processor Power Management settings set the minimum processor state to 100%. No need to mess with overclocking or anything in the BIOS to keep it at max stock speed. At least that's what I can do with my Ryzen. I assume it should be the same for Intel.

PowerManagement.jpg

Figured it might be easier, since the system spends 95% of the time in Linux where this kind of stuff is a bit less important (so far).

Pulling up 18 core graphs is proving amusing.

Time spy run:

1623189701469.png

Just go into power management options and in the Advanced Power Management/Processor Power Management settings set the minimum processor state to 100%. No need to mess with overclocking or anything in the BIOS to keep it at max stock speed. At least that's what I can do with my Ryzen. I assume it should be the same for Intel.

View attachment 364072
1623189760624.png

WTF. Am I missing a driver?!?

Don't use Windows software to overclock.

Go in your bios. Before you ask what to set, we need to see your bios. The only thing I would change is your core voltages to 1.2 and set your cores to 4.0. Most 10980xe should be able to get between 4.0-4.5 fairly easily. I would only be concerned about your temps if you start going past 4.4Ghz and don't have a good cooler.
Ok. Tried that. It's still gleefully downclocking to 1.2ghz. Fucking power management.

BIOS config. I can’t get this to stop down clocking.

Attachments

• 37676740-440B-4176-AC26-20525D46E07E.jpeg
    37676740-440B-4176-AC26-20525D46E07E.jpeg
    312.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2B9107B7-5619-4E94-85B9-3CA3A0B5C75A.jpeg
    2B9107B7-5619-4E94-85B9-3CA3A0B5C75A.jpeg
    327.2 KB · Views: 0
  • CF86519C-3FE9-43FC-826C-FD40C49C048C.jpeg
    CF86519C-3FE9-43FC-826C-FD40C49C048C.jpeg
    481.5 KB · Views: 0
turbo boost has to be enabled for it to go over stock multiplier, you can try disabling c-states, speedstep and speedshift though to force max turbo

BIOS config. I can’t get this to stop down clocking.
I can't make out your pictures and I don't know your bios', so I will have to wait until I see better pictures, or someone else can help you with a tutorial.

From you HWINFO, it looks like your CPU is running at 1.2 Ghz and only goes up to 3k while working. So definitely, you need to get your settings right.

Look for a tutorial on overclocking for your computer. Since you have your power settings at High Performance, you should at least be good there.

I am not sure if this helps, its an Gigabyte AUROS, but I figure its as close a bios as you'll get, otherwise I could only find EVGA and ASUS x299

As D-EJ915 said, disable C-states (C1E, C6/C7), EIST and disable Energy Efficient Turbo. Disable Intel Speed Shift Technology.

Dammit, stupid phone camera and ultrawide screen. Let me switch it to PBP mode and try to get a shot. I'll hit those settings first and see where we end up.

Peak speed during time spy/etc is about 4.3 ghz, but only briefly (temps stay below 70).

Ok. Try two. Not a lot out there on this board, it’s extremely uncommon.

Attachments

• 60F8804E-4BC4-40F2-88CD-868138AC240B.jpeg
    60F8804E-4BC4-40F2-88CD-868138AC240B.jpeg
    439.9 KB · Views: 0
Ok. That made a huge difference.

1623200608083.png

We're still low overall.

So for certain, the Designare is overly aggressive downclocking. Now I'll track to see if we're actually ~boosting~ at all.

Ok. That made a huge difference.

View attachment 364153

We're still low overall.

So for certain, the Designare is overly aggressive downclocking. Now I'll track to see if we're actually ~boosting~ at all.
From your bios screen shot, it look like you got the key settings disabled. You are currently set at 3801.06 MHz and your CPU voltage appears to be at 1.031. Not bad in getting to 3.8Ghz. So, what HWBOT record are you referring to for your "normal" numbers? I want to take a look at their settings. I can tell you that most people with the highest settings are generally overclocked. This CPU will generally hit 4.5 with good cooling (240 or 280 radiator or Noctua Cooler, 4.7-4.8 with excellent cooling (360 or 420 radiator). For extreme overclocking, I can hit 4.9 all core or 4.9-5.2 per core while hitting thermal limits.

Are you happy with your current score? For the record, when you set your overclock to static settings, you no longer "boost". You have a static setting, so you should see 3.8 across the board with "downclocking" occurring whenever your are using high AVX work loads, throttling because of CPU core temperatures, VRM temperatures and power limits (your motherboard can't provide enough power to the CPU).

A 10980xe is VERY power hungry when overclocked. I have seen 400+ watts at the CPU. My total system power at the wall is 900W on my system and I only have a GTX 1080. You are dealing with some high end equipment with a lot of nuance. If you want the best scores, you'll need to learn how to set everything.

I think I am. Any gaming this thing will do will be at almost 4k resolution (5160x1440) - where it's all GPU limited ~anyway~. We now know that:

1. The X299 Designare 10G is WAY overly aggressive in power savings / down clocking the CPU, which results in poor performance on cpu-limited but not-dependent things like some games / 3dmark.
2. When really asked to fully boost (Cinebench, etc) - it pops right up to where it should be and you get scores like you need. This is its primary task, so we're fine.
3. If I need the CPU performance for something that doesn't kick it in the rear, do what we did here - turn off the power savings.

Next year this will go under full water (or so I'm planning, unless the Intel HEDT followup is absolutely groundbreaking), and then I'll crank the overclock up and let it run. Right now it has a 280MM AIO, which isn't enough cooling for a solid OC - ran out of funds due to another thing coming up, so I couldn't buy all the rads/etc I wanted to.

Honestly, just work on your OC settings. It will take a little while to dial it in, but I am sure you have plenty of headroom left. 3.8Ghz, you are leaving meat on the table.

Both that CPU and GPU can be OC'd, you just need to do it methodically. Today's processors with so many cores really requires that you clock each core individually to get the best performance. Your 280mm AIO could be better, but honestly, it can't be much worse than a Noctua DH15. You should be able to hit 4.5 pretty easily unless you were dealt a real piece of crap silicon. As a matter of fact, 10980xe max turbo limit is 4.6, so that tells you that at least some of your cores should hit that no problem. I am betting you can get it to 4.6 with a little tuning. That should help that monster GPU show its worth.

Honestly, just work on your OC settings. It will take a little while to dial it in, but I am sure you have plenty of headroom left. 3.8Ghz, you are leaving meat on the table.

Both that CPU and GPU can be OC'd, you just need to do it methodically. Today's processors with so many cores really requires that you clock each core individually to get the best performance. Your 280mm AIO could be better, but honestly, it can't be much worse than a Noctua DH15. You should be able to hit 4.5 pretty easily unless you were dealt a real piece of crap silicon. As a matter of fact, 10980xe max turbo limit is 4.6, so that tells you that at least some of your cores should hit that no problem. I am betting you can get it to 4.6 with a little tuning. That should help that monster GPU show its worth.
The issue is heat. I totally agree, but it’s summer- for the next two, maybe three months, that’s cooking time. :D. I also need to get more fans/etc.

I have a 9980XE and x299 based rig. I can assure you, the 9980XE/10980XE are absolute MONSTERS to try and cool. You could be suffering from throttling and not even know it. The clocks will report as being stable, but in actuality, internally, it is throttling. There was an article on [H] about it before it went down. I had very much the same types of problems. I also ended up watercooling the VRMs because they were going critical way too fast and causing the board to shut down.

My recommendation is to set the CPU vcore voltages to manual and then find the most stable clock. Leaving the voltage on Auto tends to swing the voltages way too much, even with the use of controlling the vDroop. Either you get way too high voltages at load, or way too low voltages at idle. These CPUs have almost ZERO headroom when it comes to temperature, so it makes it that much more difficult to find the sweet spot. I found mine: 4.4GHz all cores (turbo) at 1.185V (all cores, manually set to this static value). I do have an absolutely crazy watercooling system though. I have multiple threads about it, I'll have to dig it up.

Edit: here's the thread with all my system specs and watercooling setup.
https://hardforum.com/threads/my-first-watercooled-build-9980xe-rtx-2080ti-etc.1987324/

Edit 2: This should also help. It was my thread when I was trying to stabilize my OC.
https://hardforum.com/threads/x299-not-stable-using-manual-voltage.1988611/#post-1044477900

Last edited:
I have a 10980XE on an ASUS ROG Strix X-299-E Gaming II mobo and a watercooled EVGA 2080 GPU. I have the CPU cooled by a Corsair 110i cooler and cooling is not an issue. I can't even get the CPU to throttle with any of the AIDA64 stress test or even PRIME. I have the system set to use ASUS own overclocking through the BIOS. The system seems to be able to handle anything I throw at it. Time Spy is 11131 with 11043 Graphics and 11622 CPU scores. Also I have 3 NVMe drives installed (Intel 665) and 128 Gb of memory.

Back