10900k can't reach 5.3

andsk8

n00b
Hi, I just build my system with Intel 10900k. Coupled with Asus STRIX Z490 E and Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600. Cpu cooler is Corsair h150i 360 mm.
Ive installed everything, the system is working. I have a score of 6025 in Cinebench 20.
But I have a problem.
With Open Hardware Monitor and CPU-Z, I see the cpu goes up to 4900mhz in all cores, which is totally fine. I see some random cores go to up to 5.1, when my computer is started.
My temps are around 34C on idle and 72C in benchmarking.
I never see 5.3 as advised on Intel. No mater what option I change, I never reach 5.3. My temps are ok, so its not about that. I wonder if I'm missing some configuration on the BIOS. I have multi core enhancement to auto, pretty much everything in auto, like turbo boos, and avx.
I understand this feature should work by itself without messing around with bios settings.
Have anyone had the same problem?
Thanks

Thermal Velocity Boost is the technology Intel is using in the i9 10900k to achieve those speeds. Turbo Boost, the fallback boosting technology, will only get you to 5.1 Ghz.

TVB only ever works on one or two cores, and typically the cpu internal temps must be below 50C for it to "boost" up. It's not something that is meant to work all the time. The conditions have to be just right.

Intel has been marketing TVB at gamers or anyone using single threaded workloads. The irony is that only older games fall into that category. A newer or cutting edge game engine will never be single threaded. So TVB has limited use case.

Last edited:
Should've waited on the new Ryzen tbh. I see zero reason right now to get a consumer Intel CPU.

Hi, I just build my system with Intel 10900k. Coupled with Asus STRIX Z490 E and Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600. Cpu cooler is Corsair h150i 360 mm.
Ive installed everything, the system is working. I have a score of 6025 in Cinebench 20.
But I have a problem.
With Open Hardware Monitor and CPU-Z, I see the cpu goes up to 4900mhz in all cores, which is totally fine. I see some random cores go to up to 5.1, when my computer is started.
I never see 5.3 as advised on Intel. No mater what option I change, I never reach 5.3. My temps are ok, so its not about that. I wonder if I'm missing some configuration on the BIOS. I have multi core enhancement to auto, pretty much everything in auto, like turbo boos, and avx.
I understand this feature should work by itself without messing around with bios settings.
Thanks

To reach 5.3 you MUST have c-states enabled and you MUST be on windows 1903 or newer!
5.3 can only work if windows can put some cores to sleep so the other ones can boost on 2 core loads.

To reach 5.3 you MUST have c-states enabled and you MUST be on windows 1903 or newer!
5.3 can only work if windows can put some cores to sleep so the other ones can boost on 2 core loads.
Would that mean using the Balance Power Plan vice the High Performance power plan in Windows?

Im already on that configuration. Windows 2004 and C-STATES enabled. It would be very handy, if any of you that could reach Intel specs, acan post your bios screenshots, and if they are asus, much much better.

ty

Thermal Velocity Boost is the technology Intel is using in the i9 10900k to achieve those speeds. Turbo Boost, the fallback boosting technology, will only get you to 5.1 Ghz.

TVB only ever works on one or two cores, and typically the cpu internal temps must be below 50C for it to "boost" up. It's not something that is meant to work all the time. The conditions have to be just right.

Intel has been marketing TVB at gamers or anyone using single threaded workloads. The irony is that only older games fall into that category. A newer or cutting edge game engine will never be single threaded. So TVB has limited use case.
Yeah, I know that, and im ok with it. The thing is, I dont see a way of enabling TVB on my asus motherboard. I do see the option of Turbo Boost 3.0, which is enabled. And I also see that the BIOS shows me in yellow what the target frequency is, and I do see that its 5300mhz, but I just dont see that on windows, in stand by with 0% cpu usage. The max I see is 5.0 in 2 or 3 cores. Even with Multi Core Enhancment what I see is 4.9 on all cores, when I unterstand should be 5.1.

MAN! C-STATES where in Auto. I changed that to enabled, and PUM
I see 5.3 on random cores all the time.
That fixed my problem, I was about to change the motherboard for an MSI, brand I dont like at all.

Thanks! Heres a potato for you 🥔

After these changes, Cinebench jumped to 6125 points and max temp is still 75-77C. So Im quite ok with these settings.

That fixed my problem, I was about to change the motherboard for an MSI, brand I dont like at all.

After these changes, Cinebench jumped to 6125 points and max temp is still 75-77C. So Im quite ok with these settings.

Man that doesn't make much sense, c-states are almost always enabled by default when on auto. Might get fixed in later bios revisions.

Well, it says Up to 5.3ghz.
(Maybe on one core sometimes)
Oh... Lol so when AMD said up to everyone freaked out it was 50MHz; why, for Intel would they get a pass? Both need to be held accountable for what they say.

That said, it was a c state issue, but giving out free passes for one and not another is silly.

Glad it was an easy fix.

But I have a problem.
Thanks
UPDATE:

It wasn't the C-STATE. The was just a combination of factors that made me believe it was that.

The problem is Corsair iCUE software.

With everything on default, excepto for XMP Profile I was able to find the issue. When the Corsair software is running, it uses 5% of cpu, that make believe Windows that the cpu is not in lazy mode, as soon as you exit the soft, PUM, everything works.

I was reading on the net, it does the same on 9900k, but as far as I found, not on all motherboards.

Anyway, as for the momento i have Corisar enabled becuase i need to turn of the lights, but looks like theres something wrong with that soft.

Oh... Lol so when AMD said up to everyone freaked out it was 50MHz; why, for Intel would they get a pass? Both need to be held accountable for what they say.

That said, it was a c state issue, but giving out free passes for one and not another is silly.
Because it ws not the c state issue, and AMD is the one getting passes all the time ;)

Because it ws not the c state issue, and AMD is the one getting passes all the time ;)
I see it was some other software that looked like a c state issus. My point was AMD shouldn't have done what they did, and at the same time it wouldn't be right to give Intel a free pass either (because they said "up to"). So, not really sure what your argument is. Neither deserves a free pass, and the argument that some people gave AMD a free pass doesn't make it right. Taco at the time didn't know what the issue was, but jumped to the defense of "it says up to". I haven't heard this complaint before so I didn't think it was a widespread issue, just wanted to point out nobody should get a free pass. If you have issues with others giving AMD a free pass, then call them out. Don't pretend like everyone gave AMD a free pass, if they did AMD wouldn't have been forced to fix their screw up.

UPDATE:

It wasn't the C-STATE. The was just a combination of factors that made me believe it was that.

The problem is Corsair iCUE software.

With everything on default, excepto for XMP Profile I was able to find the issue. When the Corsair software is running, it uses 5% of cpu, that make believe Windows that the cpu is not in lazy mode, as soon as you exit the soft, PUM, everything works.

I was reading on the net, it does the same on 9900k, but as far as I found, not on all motherboards.

Anyway, as for the momento i have Corisar enabled becuase i need to turn of the lights, but looks like theres something wrong with that soft.
Thanks for the follow up so others know what to look for it they run into the same issue. Glad you were able to track it down!

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 0
Man that doesn't make much sense, c-states are almost always enabled by default when on auto. Might get fixed in later bios revisions.

some of the board manufactures intentionally have c-state set to disabled when set to auto. maybe they went conservative on the setting to keep people from using shit coolers to be able to have TVB running by default.. but there's some really screwy stuff going on with the board manufactures for z490.

Back