1080ti to a rx580? Am I crazy?

Dreamerbydesign

Supreme [H]ardness
system specs:
2700x
Gigabyte x470
Samsung 970 Pro nvme ssd
Prison E12 controlled 1Tb nvme (game drive)
32gb (4x8) ddr4 3200 CL15 ram
144hz 1440p 27” monitor

So I sold my 1070. Bought a 1080ti. Started back gaming playing Apex, Overwatch and a few other FPS titles.

I was impressed. And then I bought a rx580 from a forum member here to put in my sons build. He plays Apex on it and is very happy with it.

Then I decide hmm... I’m going to throw it in my system and see how big of a noticeable difference this is compared to my 1080ti...

Now I game with FPS titles at 1080p max refresh. Even if that means turning things down like shadows etc that do not matter when I’m in a high paced match.

And guess what? By only turning a few settings down on the games, I am getting well over 100 FPS at 1080p on the 580 with my setup. Holy crap.

I have been so afraid of touching “lower end” or mid tier cards. I’ve bought mostly 1070ti -1080ti variants of the last 5 or 6 nvidia generations! Mostly because AMD wasn’t very competitive.

And when I do want to play a 1440p single player title, I can crank the eye candy it’s with freesync it’s still very very playable.

I think I was a performance and number whore from reading benches on review sites....

In short, sometimes it’s ok to try something different. I am happy with this setup for now. I may sell the 1080ti, put that money in savings and see what happens next with AMD.

It wasn’t about raw performance. It was about value and what my eye sees. Money isn’t really an issue, I could spend until my e-peen exploded. But I want value for my $.

Am I nuts?

Last edited:
1080ti is probs one of best value cards from nvidia in recent times. and it still provides a hefty amount of ram aswell. i got mine at launch and i paid roughly same as the 980ti. the 2080ti got same amount of ram, but it's a better card, but put aside the gimmick features it have, it's a huge bump in price. for 1440p it still isnt worth it. for me 70-80 range in fps provide the most responsive and fluid experience to account for the lows that can occur. a 1080ti should hold value even longer incase u upgrade in the future, i wouldnt get rid of it. but thats me.

1080ti is probs one of best value cards from nvidia in recent times. and it still provides a hefty amount of ram aswell. i got mine at launch and i paid roughly same as the 980ti. the 2080ti got same amount of ram, but it's a better card, but put aside the gimmick features it have, it's a huge bump in price. for 1440p it still isnt worth it. for me 70-80 range in fps provide the most responsive and fluid experience to account for the lows that can occur. a 1080ti should hold value even longer incase u upgrade in the future, i wouldnt get rid of it. but thats me.
Yea I wonder how long it will hold its value. It did help the 20 series left much to be desired with pricing.

Im in the same boat, I went from a 1080 to a RX580 and performance is very good still, happy with it for now.

I've used just about everything from RX580s to Radeon VII and GTX1050 to GTX1080Ti (I refuse to pay RTX prices). The RX580 is a great price/performance card if you buy it right. Probably not worth full price, but used they run anywhere from $100 (4GB) and $115 (8GB). Really tough to beat at that price.

Here's hoping Navi finds that same mainstream niche with less power consumption (really my only gripe about the RX580).

Im in the same boat, I went from a 1080 to a RX580 and performance is very good still, happy with it for now.
It may not be a forever thing for me, I’d love to see a great competing card from AMD or better priced cards from Nvidia.

Ironically I would have been a 2080/2080ti customer and never even considered looking at anything else, had the prices not been astronomical.

I've used just about everything from RX580s to Radeon VII and GTX1050 to GTX1080Ti (I refuse to pay RTX prices). The RX580 is a great price/performance card if you buy it right. Probably not worth full price, but used they run anywhere from $100 (4GB) and $115 (8GB). Really tough to beat at that price.

Here's hoping Navi finds that same mainstream niche with less power consumption (really my only gripe about the RX580).
I absolutely agree.

I paid about 110 for my 8gb rx580.

Compare that to the nearly $500 I paid for the 1080ti, which was an amazing price at the time I bought it months ago right after 20xx card prices normalized and people were still hanging on to the 1080ti’s.

Is the 1080ti worth 5x as much at 1440p or 1080p 144 hz gaming? Or the 2080ti worth 10-14 times as much? At this resolution it’s a tough sell.

AMD may not be competitive on the high end, but I can see why people would buy them.

When I was first building computers 25 years ago I never had enough money to buy the high end. And then when I was able to it’s all I bought for a decade.

I’m not saying it’s for everyone. But in my case so far I’ve been happy with it.

100% truth though, I haven’t sold the 1080ti yet and I may not. That’s kind of why I wanted opinions here.

Most mainstream shooters are quite playable on an RX 580 1080p High/Ultra. That's what you would expect for a free-to-platy game with tens of millions of players.

But with the 1080 Ti, you're buying better performance in tomorrow's games, or Ultra at 1440p 144hz.

I will give credit that AMD's cards have a surprising performance advantage in Apex Legends, but it doesn't tend to hold in other games. I'd try out your entire game library before you declare it the winner over tour 1080 Ti.

You have discovered the folly of going by benchmarks. Yes the 1080ti is a "faster" card no doubt about it. But at 1080p a 580 is more then capable of running at 75hz with everything on ultra. The 570s aren't far off either. And for most people they can even hit a pretty nice 144hz in most games turning down a few of the most performance dragging features. Guess what most people can't tell the difference between things like high and low settings of ambient occlusion, and some folks even prefer turning somewhat annoying things like bloom down. Every game is a bit different of course... but still A B most people with a top of the line card and a mid range card at 1080p and they can't tell the difference.

It gets even more interesting when you take into account things like freesync. Yes NV has Gsync and they will even allow their stuff to run on SOME freesync hardware. My point take a 100-200 dollar AMD 570/580 hook it up to a 75hz freesync monitor and compare it to a 1080ti system even running at 1440 with out any adaptive sync running. Chances are 9 out of 10 people will prefer the AMD system even though it will be hundreds of dollars cheaper.

Its easy to read a bunch of reviews and see that a card gets 150 FPS instead of 100 and say its getting slaughtered. But the truth is most people can't tell the difference. (as long as the mins aren't insanely low at least)

I gifted my 750 ti out of my server to my father in law and put in a RX 570 4gb. I was amazed at playing at "high" settings at 1080p I could easily maintain 60fps. I was amazed at what a $130 card (with 2 $60 games) was getting me. Very happy with my purchase.

Imo the RX 570 is a much better value. I bought one from bhphoto for 118 shipped no tax with 2 free games and 8GB of GDDR5. Sold both free games and it runs all my steam titles on my 1080p60hz tv just fine with high even utlra high settings.

Most mainstream shooters are quite playable on an RX 580 1080p High/Ultra. That's what you would expect for a free-to-platy game with tens of millions of players.

But with the 1080 Ti, you're buying better performance in tomorrow's games, or Ultra at 1440p 144hz.

I will give credit that AMD's cards have a surprising performance advantage in Apex Legends, but it doesn't tend to hold in other games. I'd try out your entire game library before you declare it the winner over tour 1080 Ti.

Agreed. And you have a 1440p/144hz monitor the 1080ti drives that perfectly. The 580 not so much. I play Apex right now on a 1070 and I miss my 1080 ti because I'd like to use resolution scaling as AA because the edge shimmer is awful in the game.

Guess what most people can't tell the difference between things like high and low settings of ambient occlusion, and some folks even prefer turning somewhat annoying things like bloom down. Every game is a bit different of course... but still A B most people with a top of the line card and a mid range card at 1080p and they can't tell the difference.

I almost mentioned this in my post. When I lowered the settings I expected it to look awful, but it didn't.

some games make my 1080ti sweat on 1440p. but hey, i had the best time ever playing witcher 3 on a 280x from amd :p and it was medium settings.

I wouldn’t say it’s a winner.

I’d say I’m extremely happy with the value. For the $110 I paid compared to the 500+ for the 1080ti or again, 1200+ for the 2080ti.

I read something very interesting though. Us old school gamers who always pushed for top performance are a dying breed.

AMD and nvidia has shown sales numbers in the past few years, that show they’ve sold more mid tier cards than super high end.

I’m trying to find the article. It said something like 10% of dedicated gpu sales are for the top 2 model cards or so. Mid tier making up 70+ percent of the market.

And of course I can’t find the link. Maybe it wasn’t even right idk.

Overall though the 580 is going to spend another week or so in my main rig, and then I’ll decide on the fate of the 1080ti.

Because of AMD drops something remotely competitive to the 2080/1080ti for a lower price point, all of us 1080ti hold outs will lose resale value fast.

Last edited:
system specs:
2700x
Gigabyte x470
Samsung 970 Pro nvme ssd
144hz 1440p 27” monitor

So I sold my 1070. Bought a 1080ti. Started back gaming playing Apex, Overwatch and a few other FPS titles.

I was impressed. And then I bought a rx580 from a forum member here to put in my sons build. He plays Apex on it and is very happy with it.

Then I decide hmm... I’m going to throw it in my system and see how big of a noticeable difference this is compared to my 1080ti...

Now I game with FPS titles at 1080p max refresh. Even if that means turning things down like shadows etc that do not matter when I’m in a high paced match.

And guess what? By only turning a few settings down on the games, I am getting well over 100 FPS at 1080p on the 580 with my setup. Holy crap.

I have been so afraid of touching “lower end” or mid tier cards. I’ve bought mostly 1070ti -1080ti variants of the last 5 or 6 nvidia generations! Mostly because AMD wasn’t very competitive.

And when I do want to play a 1440p single player title, I can crank the eye candy it’s with freesync it’s still very very playable.

I think I was a performance and number whore from reading benches on review sites....

In short, sometimes it’s ok to try something different. I am happy with this setup for now. I may sell the 1080ti, put that money in savings and see what happens next with AMD.

It wasn’t about raw performance. It was about value and what my eye sees. Money isn’t really an issue, I could spend until my e-peen exploded. But I want value for my $.

Am I nuts?

If the RX580 is doing what you need, then no, you're not crazy.

I wish I could say that's the case for me. Unfortunately, 90% of my gaming is demanding VR games, and even a 1080 Ti is just barely enough for that.

Edit: That said, I would roll with the 1080 Ti in your position, and just not buy another Ti class card next time. I should probably also mention that the drivers are a thing to consider, and I find the AMD driver package to be even more irritating than GeForce Experience.

Last edited:
If the RX580 is doing what you need, then no, you're not crazy.

I wish I could say that's the case for me. Unfortunately, 90% of my gaming is demanding VR games, and even a 1080 Ti is just barely enough for that.
Yea I haven’t bought into VR yet. But completely understandable.

If whatever I was playing wasn’t making the cut, I’d easily find another card that cuts the mustard.

No, not crazy at all.

What are considered mid-range cards totday are actually very capable.

If you are at 1080p (or even 1440p on lower settings) a $200 video card can handle it.

I think a lot of people, including most review sites, only look at the max settings settings and then unfairly compare cards.

In many cases, you can tweak the settings around High (give or take) and get much better performance with little visual loss.

So, yeah, buy what you need. An RX 580 is not a bad card. I'm using one on my Linux box and even got to 4K with some older games.

As long as you are not dead set on max settings, or are willing to drop resolution, there are lots of options.

Yes. I would say your shithouse rat crazy, but that is because I have a 960 and would kill for a 1080Ti. :p
But seriously, if the 580 melts your butter and makes you happy, who are we to say otherwise?

some games make my 1080ti sweat on 1440p. but hey, i had the best time ever playing witcher 3 on a 280x from amd :p and it was medium settings.
I know exactly what you mean!

I mean I remember my first real card. It was a 7800gt. Paid $499 on Newegg. Still have the receipt!

Yes. I would say your shithouse rat crazy, but that is because I have a 960 and would kill for a 1080Ti. :p
But seriously, if the 580 melts your butter and makes you happy, who are we to say otherwise?
I used my 970 for at least 2 years after release. That was a nice card. The 960 isn’t a slouch either.

1. First thought is you are crazy for selling 1080ti. Then again I keep my hardware til it's dead.
  2. How much could you possibly get with keeping it in savings? Is that really worth it? You could still save (insert your personal spending ways) more, as we all could.
  3. Sounds like your values changed when benchmarks stopped being your goto for hardware choice. If you're happy more power to you!
  4. Value is in the eye of the beholder as we all know so heck... if money wasn't an issue for me I'd be buying all kinds of cool stuff to play with, epeen be damned!

1. First thought is you are crazy for selling 1080ti. Then again I keep my hardware til it's dead.
  2. How much could you possibly get with keeping it in savings? Is that really worth it? You could still save (insert your personal spending ways) more, as we all could.
  3. Sounds like your values changed when benchmarks stopped being your goto for hardware choice. If you're happy more power to you!
  4. Value is in the eye of the beholder as we all know so heck... if money wasn't an issue for me I'd be buying all kinds of cool stuff to play with, epeen be damned!

I agree. I think I wanna just so surprised at the difference from a value perspective.

Im starting to think I’m going to have this 1080ti though for a while. I know it’ll outlast the performance of the 580 if I hang on to it for years.

I just sold my launch 1070 last month for the 1080ti. I tend to hang on to my hardware for a long time also.

With the game keys everyone should own at least the RX 570 4Gb = back up card so when you got to RMA that $1000 Titan ..

but I own a 580 /8Gb and a 570/8Gb and two 570 4Gb cards as I plan to pass some along for there value as prices fall with 1st gen Ryzen make some nice base family builds .

As far as 1080p gaming just adding DX12 and Vulcan have robust that area to the point that the RX 570 8Gb is all you need to get your gaming on .

With the game keys everyone should own at least the RX 570 4Gb = back up card so when you got to RMA that $1000 Titan ..

but I own a 580 /8Gb and a 570/8Gb and two 570 4Gb cards as I plan to pass some along for there value as prices fall with 1st gen Ryzen make some nice base family builds .

As far as 1080p gaming just adding DX12 and Vulcan have robust that area to the point that the RX 570 8Gb is all you need to get your gaming on .
I still might pick up a 1600 combo some day for that same reason.

20190405_194041.jpg

The deals with games right now on the RX 580 cards is pretty crazy. It won't drive a screen like my 3440x1440 100hz but value to performance is off the charts compared to my gtx 1080 egpu.

I’ve bought mostly 1070ti -1080ti variants of the last 5 or 6 nvidia generations! Mostly because AMD wasn’t very competitive.
5-6 generations of AMD not competitive? (I think we are going back to ATi for that length of time!)
Yes AMD hasn't been market leading, but competitive? Fuck off mate! Other then Nvidia's top "ti" card they have always been "competitive".

5-6 generations of AMD not competitive? (I think we are going back to ATi for that length of time!)
Yes AMD hasn't been market leading, but competitive? Fuck off mate! Other then Nvidia's top "ti" card they have always been "competitive".
Competitive was not the correct word.

And it was just how I perceived it at the time.

The last AMD card I had (just by memory) that was competitive in the high end, was a 7970 ghz edition. At the time the 7970 hit shelves, it could compete for the top or right near. That just memory though no facts.

system specs:
2700x
Gigabyte x470
Samsung 970 Pro nvme ssd
144hz 1440p 27” monitor

Am I nuts?
No as I've often considered doing similar things myself.

Last edited:
It’s all about resolution.
My Fury X drove everything perfectly acceptable at max settings at 2560x1440, in Freesync range (<= 75Hz), and it’s just a hair faster than a RX580.

But it wouldn’t handle 3440x1440 happily.

My 1080ti drops to 60FPS range in a couple games at 3440x1440 (Hunt Showdown being the most difficult game I own with all settings maxed).

If you are willing to turn down a few settings you can get away with a lot lesser card. That’s always been the case, but what hasn’t always been the case is the minor visual difference between the quality settings on modern games. Remember in the old days when you turned details to low you got smeared detail walls/blurry textures, less/no physics, bodies disappeared when you killed them, weather effects were removed, lighting effects were removed, shadows were removed or turned blocky. These days you can barely tell the difference between ultra and medium, and low quality still looks good! I’ll use Doom as an example — it’s hard to even tell the difference between low and ultra — and most modern games are similar to a much larger degree than in the past.

That trend is continuing into RTX. Reviews I’ve read say you don’t even notice ray tracing in real world game play, you have to slow it down and look for it, yet it’s a huge hardware performance hit. We are definitely at a game development junction of diminishing returns for the best hardware vs. mainstream hardware.

Thinking back to my first GPU, the S3 Virge that made the game Descent look so amazing!!!, and later my Orchid Righteous 3dfx Vodoo card that made OpenGL quake out of this world, and my Savage S2000 with S3TC texture compression that made Unreal look like an entirely different game. Do you remember how insanely different and impressive a game looked with high end graphics card support over mainstream hardware back then? Wow!

Last edited:
It’s all about resolution.
My Fury X drove everything perfectly acceptable at max settings at 2560x1440, in Freesync range (<= 75Hz), and it’s just a hair faster than a RX580.

But it wouldn’t handle 3440x1440 happily.

My 1080ti drops to 60FPS range in a couple games at 3440x1440 (Hunt Showdown being the most difficult game I own with all settings maxed).

If you are willing to turn down a few settings you can get away with a lot lesser card. That’s always been the case, but what hasn’t always been the case is the minor visual difference between the quality settings on modern games. Remember in the old days when you turned details to low you got smeared detail walls/blurry textures, less/no physics, bodies disappeared when you killed them, weather effects were removed, lighting effects were removed, shadows were removed or turned blocky. These days you can barely tell the difference between ultra and medium, and low quality still looks good! I’ll use Doom as an example — it’s hard to even tell the difference between low and ultra — and most modern games are similar to a much larger degree than in the past.

That trend is continuing into RTX. Reviews I’ve read say you don’t even notice ray tracing in real world game play, you have to slow it down and look for it, yet it’s a huge hardware performance hit. We are definitely at a game development junction of diminishing returns for the best hardware vs. mainstream hardware.

Thinking back to my first GPU, the S3 Virge that made the game Descent look so amazing!!!, and later my Orchid Righteous 3dfx Vodoo card that made OpenGL quake out of this world, and my Savage S2000 with S3TC texture compression that made Unreal look like an entirely different game. Do you remember how insanely different and impressive a game looked with high end graphics card support over mainstream hardware back then? Wow!

I remember when I got opengl lighting working in quake on an ATI card way back in the 90s (97 or so I think so long ago now). That feeling of HOLY SHIT was strong. Of course not long after 3DFX dropped the Voodoo 2... and I remember hunting one down like a nut. Gaming hardware wasn't exactly super main stream in the computing world back then.

Your post is bang on. Medium to Ultra... of course ultra is "better" and it looks better in screen shots. But in fast paced twitch games.... most of us have a hard time really telling the difference. I admit now that I'm north of 40 if I was forced to pick the difference between medium and ultra on most games I would need to sit in front of them for a few min to pick the right one, and I might still get it wrong. Perhaps back in my 20s when I was hunting computer shops for Voodoo cards and Kenwood CD Roms I may have noticed the small details. I doubt it though.

Hey everyone, been here long time, i thought i would throw my little 2 cents in lol.

Ive been PC guy all my life, Ive had Amd, Intel, Nvidia.

Ive played with nvidia cards from nvidia geforce 2 to gtx 1080ti.

Ive played with Amd cards from Ati Radeon 9600 Pro to Radeon VII.

I had Intel i7 5820k 4.2 16gb 4x4gb ddr4 3000 Nvidia Gtx 1080ti.

I always thought G-Sync and Freesync were bunch bullshit.

I got settlement from wreck, I bought Samsung Nu8000 75" with freesync. Never had xbox, I wanted try it.

Yes xbox1x is pretty good system, after mods. Runs like Champ.

Freesync and G-sync are awesome, it makes games smoother, no tearing etc.

I picked up Asus Crosshair VII Hero (No-wifi) , Ryzen 5 2600, 16gb 2x8gb ddr4 3000, Amd Radeon VII.

Reasons for switching, Freesync and upgrade path on AM4. Reason for $$$ nice board and cheaper Cpu.

I felt giving Amd chance and helping out smaller company.

I've been impressed with Amd on Cpu and gpu side. Yes Radeon VII runs Fast, and hotter and more power pull.

Its amazing what you can do with Radeon VII on mods and tweaks.

Seems Amd Cpu is very tweak able? I cant say, I haven't owned Amd Cpu since back up had Amd Phantom II 945? I can recall, I Believe.

Im not fanboy of any kind. Trying get most life out of my pc parts.

Amd has good cards for price / performance, and some Amds is not good Price to performance. Same goes for Intel, Nvidia.

I love lastest and greatest Cpu's and Gpu's. But i wont sell my arm and leg for them lol.

Back