1080ti Roller coaster Pricing?

Mr. Baz

2[H]4U
gtx1080ti_price_history.png

So, in just looking at the historic pricing on an EVGA 1080Ti, can anyone explain why such the huge swings in price? I mean, come on $629 to over $800 back and forth?!
I obviously missed my window or I would have definitely purchased a 1080ti at $630 a few months ago. I just find it very strange. You would think we should all be seeing a steady drop in price since the release of RTX.

Attachments

• 166008_gtx1080ti_price_history.png
    166008_gtx1080ti_price_history.png
    181.8 KB · Views: 47
Trolling? The answer is obvious to anyone who has read any video card reviews for this release. The new cards are price way too high for the performance increase.

Personally I think Nvidia did this on purpose to liquidate their 10 series cards. About the time the first wave of "cutting edge" consumers have bought their cards, and all this pricing outrage catches up to Nvidia, the 10 series stock should be about gone.

Then drop the price of 20 series cards... Profit.

Last edited:
I'm not sure either the 2080 Ti or the 2080 will actually drop in price, at least not by much. Once the (new) 1080 Tis are gone nVidia only has to compete with used 1080 Tis and there are people, such as myself, who never purchase used.

Trolling? The answer is obvious to anyone who has read any video card reviews for this release. The new cards are price way too high for the performance increase.

Personally I think Nvidia did this on purpose to liquidate their 10 series cards. About the time the first wave of "cutting edge" consumers have bought their cards, and all this pricing outrage catches up to Nvidia, the 10 serious stick should be about gone.

Then drop the price of 20 series cards... Profit.

Not trolling at all. I just have an understanding of economics and can smell when someone is really just trying to milk a product when it really doesn't deserve it.

In August (before the 20180ti release, they dropped in price dramatically, and YES they knew what the pricing would be...ish)
Then the price jumps, falls, and jumps back up again during the 2080ti release.
On top of that, crypto currency is becoming less and less profitable, flooding the market with used 10 series cards.
This points to more supply than demand, yet their pricing isn't following.

I can agree with what I think nVidia was doing -- keeping the 10 series cards priced high so the sticker shock of the 20 series cards was slightly easier to swallow. Still, such shady business tactics.

I'm not sure either the 2080 Ti or the 2080 will actually drop in price, at least not by much. Once the (new) 1080 Tis are gone nVidia only has to compete with used 1080 Tis and there are people, such as myself, who never purchase used.
I wish I could still say the same for myself. I swore off used, but then I saw a good deal and had a good feel from the seller after seeing where they live (i.e. not a miner).

Prices can stay high since nVidia just priced the existing previous gen cards into the current lineup.

OP, its because Nvidia doesn't want people to buy the 20 series cards, instead they are trying to get rid of their vast quantities of overstock of their 10 series cards that they produced while banking on the cryptocurrency boom. Now that thats over with, they're stuck with them.

Multiple factors at play. Most of them involve the lack of competition in the market, numerous sellers who realize their 1080 TIs = 2080 in rasterized gaming, so those sellers are increasing prices. Also, with the tariffs going into effect in the USA, we'll see prices increase at up to 25%+ by Jan 1st. Supply shortage shouldn't be an issue since NVidia overproduced tens if not hundreds of thousands of 10 series chips, which they need to liquidate. The 20 series is probably released in a hurry so if AMD brings anything to the market in 2019, NVidia can release another 30 series.

This all leads to it being a sellers market for 10 series cards. Take advantage and sidegrade or upgrade - do it for DLSS.

Once the DLSS support come out for BFV and others there will be more ditching the 10 series.

Last edited:
This all leads to it being a sellers market for 10 series cards. Take advantage and sidegrade or upgrade - do it for DLSS.

Once the DLSS support come out for BFV and others there will be more ditching the 10 series.

Why though? You still got to pay a premium for the 2080 and if the DLSS game selection is very limited most won't care.

Why though? You still got to pay a premium for the 2080 and if the DLSS game selection is very limited most won't care.

Why not? It cost me $150 net to go 1080 Ti to 2080 - more performance, more features, more upside, newer card...

Everyone obviously can make their own decision based on their preferences but part of the fun of this hobby is playing with new hardware for me. It's a good trade-off right now. I was lucky enough to buy a 1080 used for $300 when the RTX series was announced (everyone was selling 10 series, pricing was way down - should have bought more) - used it for a month or so and sold it for $325 locally to a friend. Then my 1080 Ti (Lightning Z) sold for $850 on eBay. My whole goal there was to see if I could get around the 2080 price - then I would sidegrade for the potential.

Why not? It cost me $150 net to go 1080 Ti to 2080 - more performance, more features, more upside, newer card...

Everyone obviously can make their own decision based on their preferences but part of the fun of this hobby is playing with new hardware for me. It's a good trade-off right now. I was lucky enough to buy a 1080 used for $300 when the RTX series was announced (everyone was selling 10 series, pricing was way down - should have bought more) - used it for a month or so and sold it for $325 locally to a friend. Then my 1080 Ti (Lightning Z) sold for $850 on eBay. My whole goal there was to see if I could get around the 2080 price - then I would sidegrade for the potential.

That's fine that you want to do that but I imagine most people (myself included) don't want to pay $150 for a sidegrade. If DLSS does turn out to be really good and support a bunch of games then I'd consider it, but paying for promises is not in my wheelhouse.

That's fine that you want to do that but I imagine most people (myself included) don't want to pay $150 for a sidegrade. If DLSS does turn out to be really good and support a bunch of games then I'd consider it, but paying for promises is not in my wheelhouse.

Then pay $550 for an upgrade - to the Ti. :)

Man I really regret not buying a 1080 Ti a few months ago when they were in the mid $600's. This has been the shittiest stretch of time for GPU's in a long time. Bitcoin price gouging, $1000 GPU's, AMD's complete lack of competitive cards, overpriced 2000 cards and now overpriced 1000 cards. I've been waiting to upgrade my 290x for about a year now and it looks like I'll be waiting a little while longer.

Nvidia isn’t manufacturing new 1080Ti dies, manufacturing capacity shifted to Turing. No reason to maintain a low price now that most of the 1080Ti inventory is cleared and not coming back.

Also, with the tariffs going into effect in the USA, we'll see prices increase at up to 25%+ by Jan 1st.

Not necessarily. Since the tariffs are on China, they can and are in the process of moving manufacturing to other countries unaffected by the tariffs.

Not to mention the 2080 gtx has less RAM than a 1080ti. I was on the fence about side-grading to a 2080, but after playing COD:BO4 and watching my VRAM consumption peg 9.5GB constantly, I'm not s sure I want to anymore. I still have a little over a month in my 90 day window so we'll see.

Price always ultimately meets the market.

When the new series was announced, there was a flood of used 1080ti's... over supply (and fear of impending depreciation) caused them to be oversold and under priced.

That wave is over. The 20 series is overpriced. The 1080ti has re-emerged as the current best bang for the buck.

Therefore 1080ti demand has increased and soaked up the surplus inventory.... all leading to it's price to trend up again.

Not to mention the 2080 gtx has less RAM than a 1080ti. I was on the fence about side-grading to a 2080, but after playing COD:BO4 and watching my VRAM consumption peg 9.5GB constantly, I'm not s sure I want to anymore. I still have a little over a month in my 90 day window so we'll see.

Gotta watch because a lot of games will allocate the ram and not actually use it.

Are people looking at the prices and FPS so closely using g-sync monitors? If so why would it matter if it drops from 60 FPS to 50 as long as that's the minimum?

Back