1080Ti Pre-Order Tax - No free games

Bandalo

2[H]4U
So after a VERY painful back-and-forth with the Nvidia Store personnel over e-mail and phone, it appears the 1080Ti doesn't qualify for the free copy of For Honor or Ghost Recon: Wildlands, despite the webpage claiming "BUY GEFORCE® GTX 10 SERIES, GET FOR HONOR OR GHOST RECON: WILDLANDS, FREE"

It looks like ordering from some other stores (like B&H) does still include the free codes, but direct from Nvidia, you're SOL.

Honestly, the fact I don't get the game isn't frustrating. The fact I had to e-mail back and forth 5-6 times and finally end up calling to get an answer was far more frustrating.

UPDATE!

Just got off the phone with another rep, and he says YES, the promo does apply, and the game codes will start being mailed out early next week

UPDATE #2 - 17MAR - I just got my code via e-mail. So it may have taken an extra few days, but the codes are going out.

Last edited:
I would contact them again and show them these pictures from their own website. First level support doesn't always get the most up-to-date information timely.

upload_2017-3-10_14-1-20.png

upload_2017-3-10_14-3-31.png

The nvidia store personnel are just random employees at a call center. I had my guy answer using the wrong introduction and then had to correct himself to Nvidia store. Don't trust those guys, find a real nvidia representative.

Thanks for doing the leg work. I'm in the same boat. Interested in what you find out. I would, but I've already went round and round with them once today.

I cancelled my order earlier because I didn't think I could find worse customer support than ASUS, I was wrong. Aside from being more expensive for me, I have no idea if I am getting a free game and my order never shipped despite them putting more up for sale and others already receiving theirs.

The Nvidia 1080 Ti FE I just bought from the Nvidia store does include it. Five minutes after I placed my order I got the email with the redemption code.

I have it posted in the For Sale forum if anyone is interested.

I would contact them again and show them these pictures from their own website. First level support doesn't always get the most up-to-date information timely.

Just got off the phone with another rep, and he said they got a company-wide e-mail updating the promo today. The promo DOES apply to the 1080Ti, and they'll start mailing out the codes early next week.

Just got off the phone with another rep, and he said they got a company-wide e-mail updating the promo today. The promo DOES apply to the 1080Ti, and they'll start mailing out the codes early next week.

That's great to hear.

I need to install Nvidia Experience 3 to redeem?! I'm not sure I'm prepared to do that....

I need to install Nvidia Experience 3 to redeem?! I'm not sure I'm prepared to do that....

GeForce experience wasn't too bad when it first released, but it's gotten pretty burdensome. I about flipped shit when I had to create a damn account just to use the damn thing. This is a pretty crappy way to force people into using the stupid thing. I didn't get any codes with my pre-ordered(s), I better get a couple codes next week...

You don't need to keep GFE installed after you redeem your games. So you can just have it present for a very short time if you wish.

I don't use it but I have had it installed before it's not that big of a deal either way honestly. It can be uninstalled right after you redeem your code.

I jumped on the GFE when it first launched then uninstalled it a few months ago when I ran into some frame rate issues. But I had to come crawling back when I bought an Nvidia Shield a few days ago.

So far it's been working just fine but I ignore the recommended optimizations and just manually tune my settings in game.

Anyway I'm just twiddling my thumbs waiting for the aftermarket cards.

This is good news. I'll be watching for codes next week from the NV store.

Got my code with the order confirmation. It was within 15 mins of the order.

I ordered 2 cards from best buy should be here sometime this week. With the snow storm coming Tuesday who knows what day I'll actually get them. They are Evga cards soi I assume I have to wait until I get the serial numbers off the cards and register with Evga then I get the codes from them right? I got NO codes in my confirmation email from best buy.

Last edited:
Glad you guys are enjoying the cards although it sucks Nvidia is working you over for the damn game codes.
I cannot wait to see AIB ones come in soon and skip the Nvidia tax altogether.

Last edited:
I got my redemption codes with my shipment notification.

Yeah, I still don't have mine, despite the assurances of the guy I called at the Nvidia Store. I'm going to wait until the middle of the week, and start calling again if I haven't heard anything.

I haven't seen any codes either. Really strange that some people would receive them with shipment notice and others not.

I just called the Nvidia store. The representative said he had to open a ticket for me to set issued a game code. Allegedly I'll see an e-mail trail for that ticket soon.

Spend $700 on a card and have to fight to get the free promo.

Last edited:
Yeah I got over my phobia of Geforce Experience and went to go download. I didn't have a code anywhere. So wrote to EVGA, who refered me back to Fry's where I bought my card. Fry's told me they expected the codes later today, to please leave my contact info and they would email me the code by the end of today.

Was kinda funny as I explained to the customer service lady my issue and she said "Ohh you bought a video card and didn't get your promo code" then looked up my sales transaction, the look when she saw how much the thing cost was priceless... Got the white glove treatment after that. "If you have any others issues, here is my direct number", +1 to Fry's.

Last edited:
Geforce Experience is the primary interface for using an Nvidia Shield with your PC - a great experience when it's working (which was most of the time). I subscribed to the monthly plan that gave you access to a lot of the games and I really liked it but I heard the PC version might be time metered. The last thing any of us want is another account to worry about but so far I've had a mostly positive experience.

I kinda liked freeing myself from the GFE but Sheild TV requires it. I recently became addicted to 4k streaming from my main PC. I get the best of both worlds, 1440p@165 at the desk and 4k@60 on the couch.

Bonus that it also runs the Steam OS app and have officially retired my Steam Link for now.

Anyway I could use that 1080ti Strix right about now lol.

So after the Nvidia Store (Digital River) guy said he needed to open a case for me to get the free game, I never received an e-mail about any case being opened.

So did anyone receive these codes they were supposed to mail out? It's Friday and I still haven't heard jack shit.

So did anyone receive these codes they were supposed to mail out? It's Friday and I still haven't heard jack shit.

If you're talking about game codes. I did. If you ordered from newegg, you should use their chat. It's great. It didn't come down to it this time, but it did when I got the 980ti.

Side note: I think my 1080ti isn't working optimally. AC Unity sits around 55 maxed at 2560x1440 and Rise of the Tomb Raider is at like 30 FPS. I haven't looked into it too much due to work but out of the box I'm not thrilled. That being said, I'm sure it's something with my settings or just a defective card since other people are getting awesome results.

Son of a...

So, if you buy two cards, you get two codes. But you can only redeem one code per campaign, per GFE account. So I can't get both games...lame.

Ordered 2 cards from Nvidia, Have the cards, No codes so far. Called them and was told they are being sent out over the next week....so we shall see.

Son of a...

So, if you buy two cards, you get two codes. But you can only redeem one code per campaign, per GFE account. So I can't get both games...lame.
Wow, that's dumb. If you're shelling out the money for two cards...

Wow, that's dumb. If you're shelling out the money for two cards...

if you have two cards, you can still only run one game. It makes total sense. It's not as if they sell special SLI versions of cards that are ineligible for the offer. If they did, you would then be bitching about the additional version and how they're cheating a customer out of a promotion.

Just sell the second offer on eBay, keep your first one, done.

Eh? It's not about "running" one game. It's about having both rather than having to choose one or the other.

If you buy one card, you get one code to redeem for one game. Surely it makes sense if you buy two cards you can use both codes you receive so you can have both games. This is a daft oversight by Nvidia, nothing more, nothing less.

if you have two cards, you can still only run one game. It makes total sense. .

It kinda doesn't. The code is for one of two games. He should be allowed to use one of the codes for the first game(Ghost Recon) then the second code for a second game (For Honor). If I'm reading his message correctly he can only use one code per promotion, thus only get and use one code and one game.

Where did this information come from? I haven't redeemed my codes yet since I cant install my 2 cards until sunday but I've never heard of something like this before. I bought two cards I got two codes dropped 1400+ I (we who bought 2) should get 2 games. One for each. Anything less is bullshit.

Back