1080ti Pre-order, Retail, and AIB availability watch

I wanted to mention that my Nvidia (ie Digital River) card was packed like shit. The actual NV packaging is awesome, so it's ok though.

The shipping box was maybe 35% bigger than the product box. The product box was placed in the shipping container, and a stack of paper that no doubt was supposed to be wadded up (which still would be shit) around the product was simply placed over the product and the box was sealed. The paper served no purpose and was like a Christmas sweater gets covered with tissue paper.

From maxwell titans to 1080 Ti's is your biggest upgrade?

Biggest for me was from a GeForce 2 GTS 32MB to a 9700 Pro 128MB.

I can't go as far back as you, but going from GTX 480s to GTX 680s was a huge turning point.
Noise, heat and power usage went down considerably. It ended the era of power hungry PCs.

Last edited:
This will defiatly be my biggest upgrade, GTX 480 > Used GTX 680 > Borrowed GTX 770 > GTX 1080ti

Dumb question... free games with preordering from Nvidia directly? Did I miss something during my purchase process?

Anyone have ideas for how long the backorders tend to take to fill on new gen cards like this? last 2 times I've purchased a card on release (680, 980), I got lucky and got the first wave. Turns out... waiting sucks.

I went from a TI 4200 OC'd to TI4600 speeds to a 6800ultra. I thought that was a pretty bad ass upgrade. That was right as Doom3 and HL 2 came out if I remember correctly.

Anyone have ideas for how long the backorders tend to take to fill on new gen cards like this? last 2 times I've purchased a card on release (680, 980), I got lucky and got the first wave. Turns out... waiting sucks.

Can't speak from experience but I had an Asus on preorder and it said "usually ships in 3-5 days." Since I was waiting anyway I decided to cancel the preorder and go with EVGA since I might step up. That one says 5-7 days. Not sure if that's legit expectancy or what.

Nvidia shipped my card today the same day I bought it. I will get it this Thursday, much faster than the BB order I had placed on Sunday which would not have arrived until the 22nd.

Nvidia shipped my card today the same day I bought it. I will get it this Thursday, much faster than the BB order I had placed on Sunday which would not have arrived until the 22nd.

I bought mine on Friday at 10AM PST. They shipped out that day and arrived this morning.

My 1080 FE has started giving some weird artifacting on the desktop and will no longer game, anything 3D crashes when I try to launch it. No warranty since I put a different cooler on it :(

But instead of paying $500 for another one, I might as well go ahead and go up to a 1080ti. Gotta look at the bright side, right??? :D

My 1080 FE has started giving some weird artifacting on the desktop and will no longer game, anything 3D crashes when I try to launch it. No warranty since I put a different cooler on it :(

But instead of paying $500 for another one, I might as well go ahead and go up to a 1080ti. Gotta look at the bright side, right??? :D

Have you tried putting the original cooler back on it? It's possible something isn't being cooled properly and causing it to artifact.

Have you tried putting the original cooler back on it? It's possible something isn't being cooled properly and causing it to artifact.
If that were the case, it probably would have happened six months ago. The individual heatsinks on the VRMs and everything are still attached, that's the first thing I checked. They're attached with adhesive, so there is no going back unfortunately.

mine is set to arrive tomorrow morning by 10am, but i have a feeling the 12-18" of snow may interfere with that :(

If that were the case, it probably would have happened six months ago. The individual heatsinks on the VRMs and everything are still attached, that's the first thing I checked. They're attached with adhesive, so there is no going back unfortunately.

Fair enough. Just throwing out suggestions.

Pictures of the Asus 1080ti Strix have popped up on Videocardz.com! Dual 8 pin required and they say it's 40 percent larger.

Hopefully these are going to be stocked soon since someone had thier hands on a physical card.

My friday order from Newegg has finally shipped but.

I'm in eastern Canada, the warehouse it shipped from is in California U.S instead of Toronto like my usual orders. Even with expedited shipping, guess i'm not playing with it for a while :(

What's the issue?

I've bought loads of stuff from them in the past and never had a problem with them...
When Athlon 64 was released they sold me a second user motherboard that was dead.
A friend had the same board so we swapped BIOS, battery and used different kit with it to try and get some life, there was none.
And no warranty either.
You expect a product bought from a store to at least work!

Years later they sold me a brand new TV.
It came in another TVs box, all wrapped in bin liners to hold it together because it didnt fit properly.
It was also faulty.
While trying to get it returned they stopped responding numerous times.
I had to threaten court action to get it moving after a long drawn out unpleasant experience and they still didnt refund the postage.
That took some more ball aching to resolve.
It was clear they knowingly tried to defraud me.

When Sandybridge was released it was hard to find stock so I begrudgingly bought from Overclockers with fingers crossed.
The P67 motherboards socket suffered bent pins, they refused to return it to the mfr.
It wasnt up to them to refuse warranty but I got nowhere with them.
Even after the recall of the original P67 boards they didnt allow it to be sent for assessment.

They are weasels.

Last edited:
Interesting, seems like the type of company that is happy to take your money but drop you like a hot potato when things go South. I've been lucky!!!

I'll stick to Ebuyer and Amazon in that case.

Got my shipping confirmation for my eVGA one from BB...now just waiting on Amazon...

So my 2 cards ordered from bestbuy shipped and accoring to UPS's tracking info should be here by tomorrow. Apparently they sold them drop shipped directly from EVGA it looks like to me. The order orignated from Anaheim, CA and when I had called BB yesterday to ask why they hadnt shipped yet I was told they were waiting on EVGA to send them out. So there's so interesting infomration I guess. I would have thought BB would have shipped directly from one of their warehouses but I guess they didn't have physical stock of some/all the cards on launch day?

Edit: Just looked again and apparently they are being sent UPS second day air. Not bad.

I ordered one from Nvidia store, costing me much more with tax and shipping, but oh well. Unless Newegg sends out my PNY pre-order first, I guess I'll just order straight from Nvidia.

Cards sold directly from Nvidia have a 3 year warranty, right?

The Nvidia card has a 3 year warranty vs. the 1 year on the PNY card. Not to mention resell is higher on other cards. PNY tends to take a resell hit.

This is one of the reasons I buy EVGA. They sell pretty easily and it helps that the rma process is pretty painless if necessary.

Back