1080ti Pre-order, Retail, and AIB availability watch

Which model do you guys think is better, Aorus or Asus Strix ? Acually an honest question because I'm torn. Currently using a 970 strix and I love it... I almost never hear a thing under load and the fans don't even spin at all on desktop use.

They seem neck and neck in terms of quality...
The Aorus is sexier, in my opinion. Also the better option if you VR. The original owl design of the STRIX cooler on the 970 was awesome, but the DCUIII on the new STRIX is kind of meh.

Reactions: DPI
like this
I don't know that the Aorus can be fitted with an AiO cooler if you like that option. Unless the AiO cooler mount holes match and can open up on both the top and bottom of the Aorus' copper plates. Would be interested to find out. Otherwise I think I'll go with FTW or other model with the mid/front plate with standard holes for mounting the nzxt AiO brackets.

I don't know that the Aorus can be fitted with an AiO cooler if you like that option. Unless the AiO cooler mount holes match and can open up on both the top and bottom of the Aorus' copper plates. Would be interested to find out. Otherwise I think I'll go with FTW or other model with the mid/front plate with standard holes for mounting the nzxt AiO brackets.

Trying to figure this out still. In some pictures it looks like the front/mid copper plate is integrated into the hsf radiator and pipes. I'd prefer a FTW or SC ICX which keeps a front/mid plate covering the card when the main radiator and fans are removed in that case. If I could keep the front/mid and rear copper plates on and add my AiO cooler over it the same as a FTW or SC I'd consider Aorus cards. It might be as simple as 4 extra screws holding the front copper plate onto the radiator but I'm not sure of it.

It seems like the front plate can be separate from the radiator from the way they show it in this representation:
KuwifpU.png

Not so sure in this real world picture and other representation:
5KOi5ab.png

6JsOaxD.png

Back plate screws and the holes from the previous picture look good to go alignment wise for mounting AiO with M2.5 screws.
eu5i6vj.png

VVJwRc4.png

Worth noting, on further investigation of the copper design.. from a gtx 1080 version review.

http://techreport.com/review/31428/aorus-geforce-gtx-1080-xtreme-edition-8g-graphics-card-reviewed/6

The Aorus name couldn't have made a splashier entrance into the world of graphics cards than to ride in on a GTX 1080, and the Xtreme Edition 8G card uses the DNA of a well-proven steed to get there. What's more, Gigabyte promised even better cooling performance than its previous effort thanks to the Aorus card's copper-covered backside—an impressive claim, given the GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming's excellent cooler.

Despite those claims, we actually observed higher GPU temperatures from our card than we did with its GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming stablemate. In fact, the XE 8G's load temps were on par with those of the more compact Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080. Those higher temps didn't seem to impact the XE 8G's ability to hit sky-high boost clocks, but hey—we were promised lower temperatures, and we didn't get 'em. Given that the extra heat has no impact on the card's delivered performance, we're neutral about the value of the extra copper. At least it looks cool.

Since it uses the same cooler as its stablemate, the Aorus GTX 1080 is delightfully quiet under full load, and its performance is beyond reproach. Gigabyte even found a way to kill most of the coil whine that was my only point of concern with the GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming in its Aorus refresh. As a victory lap, the Aorus hit the highest overclocked speed we've seen so far from a GTX 1080, although Pascal's GPU Boost 3.0 and Aorus' OC mode profile got us most of the way there without touching a single slider.

So it should be a good card with high boost clocks and good fans (and a few extra outputs) but the copper front plate and stuffed with thermal pads rear copper plate seem to be more for show rather than better functionality.

I don't understand why if you are going to be replacing the cooler with an AIO or waterblock why you just wouldn't go with the FE. The extra power phases and whatnot on custom AIB cards are not going to make much of a difference in the end with how far you can overclock.

A "guaranteed" higher stock boost and better power could make a difference as a foundation for stable manual OC boost clocks in sli, and at the very least should guarantee higher stable default boost clocks out of the box working in sli. That and the fact that I prefer a front/mid plate on the cards I use for my AiO cooling solution rather than bare pcb once the entire radiator and shroud is removed.

I was also curious about the Aorus design and the effect if any of the copper plates in general so did some investigating.

OC Boost clocks (default)_____Power ________Outputs
gigabyte Aorus....1746 ........ 8pin + 8pin .........1 DVI, 3 HDMI, 3xDisplayport
asus STRIX.........1683..........8pin + 8pin .........1 DVI, 1 HDMI, 3xDisplayPort
evga FTW ICX......1680 ........ 8pin + 8pin .........1 DVI, 1 HDMI, 3xDisplayPort
evga SC ICX ........1670 ........8pin + 6pin..........1 DVI, 1 HDMI, 3xDisplayPort
evga FoundersEd..1582.........8pin + 6pin..........1 DVI, 1 HDMI, 3xDisplayPort

Last edited:
A "guaranteed" higher stock boost and better power could make a difference as a foundation for stable manual OC boost clocks in sli, and at the very least should guarantee higher stable default boost clocks out of the box working in sli. That and the fact that I prefer a front/mid plate on the cards I use for my AiO cooling solution rather than bare pcb once the entire radiator and shroud is removed.

I was also curious about the Aorus design and the effect if any of the copper plates in general so did some investigating.

gigabyte Aorus....1746 ........ 8pin + 8pin .........1 DVI, 3 HDMI, 3xDisplayport
asus STRIX.........1683..........8pin + 8pin .........1 DVI, 1 HDMI, 3xDisplayPort
evga FTW ICX......1680 ........ 8pin + 8pin .........1 DVI, 1 HDMI, 3xDisplayPort
evga SC ICX ........1670 ........8pin + 6pin..........1 DVI, 1 HDMI, 3xDisplayPort

Except we already know the FE cards run higher boost clocks than their manufacturer stated listing anyway. Like what was just discussed 20 posts ago in this same thread, it doesn't matter if the FE card's stated boost clock is 1582, 1682, or even 1782, when they're hitting 1900+ anyway and the only apparent limiting factor is cooling... which the AIB should be able to do better without ramping up the fan speed like the FE cards. So if you're going to toss the AIB cooler anyway, there's no point. If anything based off of what was seen with the 1080 AIB cards, as I recall the gigabyte waterforce had a higher GPU temp than the MSI and EVGA variants likely due to sharing the same contact plate with the RAM(I think it was gamers nexus that noted this).

Don't get me wrong, if that's the setup you want to go with, go right on ahead since it's your money and not mine. It's just that you're posting something as evidence, that is already well known to be meaningless(simply the boost clock portion).

Last edited:
The (120mm fan) msi and evga hybrids had different results with different fans on them as well per one review that swapped out parts between them.

Some cards don't seem to be error free under stressful gaming with higher manual overclocks in sli from what I've heard on this forum, so having a slightly higher stock boost clocks and more power couldn't hurt as a baseline for an sli setup. Like I said I also prefer having a mid/front plate on the card since I'm not using the original shroud of the card at all with my nzxt bracket + H90 140mm cooler, so there are only a few models with a mid/front plate which I am looking at.

Considering all of this, I think the FTW or SC versions would be closer to what I'm looking for. The copper on the auros seems more for show and I haven't bought into VR yet so the additional hdmi outputs on the aorus wouldn't benefit me either.
EV9oKGR.jpg

Qiv6vhX.jpg

Last edited:
The (120mm fan) msi and evga hybrids had different results with different fans on them as well per one review that swapped out parts between them.

Some 1080ti cards don't seem to be error free under stressful gaming with higher manual overclocks in sli from what I've heard on this forum, so having a slightly higher stock boost clocks and more power couldn't hurt as a baseline for an sli setup. Like I said I also prefer having a mid/front plate on the card since I'm not using the original shroud of the card at all with my nzxt bracket + H90 cooler, so there are only a few models with a mid/front plate which I am looking at.

Considering all of this, I think the FTW or SC versions would be closer to what I'm looking for.
Yet there is nothing to show that the the higher specced boost clock on the box makes any difference for EITHER car when both will go beyond it on their stock coolers just as a normal function of how the boost clock works anyway. Now if the AIB vendors were binning GPUs to do that, then maybe... but there's no evidence of that being the case either and quite the opposite since we already know that even the FE cards will go well above the listed spec for their boost clocks and even above the listed specs for the boost clocks of the AIB cards with custom coolers.

Even the two instances we've seen of extremely high overclocks(2.5ghz, and then 3ghz) both took liquid nitrogen, with the 3ghz requiring a bunch of custom modifications to the board for power delivery.

There is clearly a wall being hit, and the factory spec boost clocks mean pretty much nothing at this point since everything already goes well beyond them, and no one has shown otherwise.

Aside from the fact that I prefer having a front/mid plate so will be buying a higher spec'd card to start with regardless,
I'd like to know how well (stable) higher manual overclock boost clocks work with adequately cooled/AiO sli 1080ti's since I've read some posts saying sli paired cards don't always overclock manually as well together (not as high or unstable/crash during gaming sessions). I'm not arguing manual single card overclock-ability based on single card stock boost clocks vs single card with a higher stock boost clock, I'm saying a higher stock boost clock and power rating could suggest a higher stable baseline/foundation for sli setups.

Last edited:

Dunno about the EVGA cards but from photos the STRIX in fact has 2 x HDMI. This is significant for Rift/Vive owners with a 4K TV-monitor.

In any case, the AORUS is looking like my new card.

Last edited:
Dunno about the EVGA cards (EVGA is overrated, IMO) but you're incorrect on the STRIX only having a single HDMI. It's got 2. This is significant for Rift/Vive owners with a 4K TV-monitor.

Same, I'm just trying to decide if the Extreme is worth the extra money over the base Aorus.

Same, I'm just trying to decide if the Extreme is worth the extra money over the base Aorus.

If the HSF is identical then I'd say no, since they're not binning either card and you're subject to silicon lottery either way.

Dunno about the EVGA cards (EVGA is overrated, IMO) but you're incorrect on the STRIX only having a single HDMI. It's got 2. This is significant for Rift/Vive owners with a 4K TV-monitor.

you are right as per evga site and this quote at techpowerup.com
Display connectivity options include a DVI port, two HDMI ports, and two DisplayPorts. Note that one DisplayPort has been switched to HDMI. ASUS says this is to cater to users who are looking to either run two VR headsets or a VR headset and TV off their graphics card. Also, the DVI port has been brought back, which was missing on the GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition.

Unlike previous-generation NVIDIA cards, the DVI port no longer includes the analog signal, so you'll have to use an active adapter. NVIDIA also updated DisplayPort to be 1.2 certified and 1.3/1.4 ready, which enables support for 4K at 120 Hz and 5K @ 60 Hz, or 8K @ 60 Hz with two cables.

The GPU also comes with an HDMI sound device. It is HDMI 2.0b compatible, which supports HD audio and Blu-ray 3D movies. The GPU's video-encoding unit has been updated to support HEVC at 10-bit and 12-bit.
Maximum overclock of our sample is 1510 MHz on the memory (10% overclock) and +106 MHz to the GPU's base clock, which increases maximum Boost from 1949 MHz to 2055 MHz (5% overclock).
I must have mixed it in from the ftw chart or something.. The other's I grabbed right from the mfg's pages. evga's FE , SC's, FTW's charted on their site here .. gigabyte aorus site here spec'd aorus 1080ti techpowerup here

Last edited:
If the HSF is identical then I'd say no, since they're not binning either card and you're subject to silicon lottery either way.

Actually, it looks like the xtreme comes with a 4yr warranty while the base is only 3. Outside of that, it seems like the xtreme has a higher factory clock and some extra LEDs.

The MSI Gaming X card looks pretty damn nice IMO.

That red and black though, it's played out like a flattop fade with rat tail.

Jk it does look awesome. It would look great with my MSI Mobo that is, shocker...red and black. :D

I just have my heart on the Asus Stix. We have a good thing going. But I'll take a peek at MSI and EVGA when she ain't looking.

Actually, it looks like the xtreme comes with a 4yr warranty while the base is only 3. Outside of that, it seems like the xtreme has a higher factory clock and some extra LEDs.

4 vs 3yr warranty... Heh. What are the chances any of us are going to keep this card more than about 12-18 months? :) Obviously the higher factory clock on the Xtreme goes without saying, but it's still silicon lottery since the Xtreme isn't binned. Meaning you have no better of a dice roll with the Xtreme to get a higher OC'er than the base model.

As for the extra LED's..

v3204kR.jpg

4 vs 3yr warranty... Heh. What are the chances any of us are going to keep this card more than about 12-18 months? :) Obviously the higher factory clock on the Xtreme goes without saying, but it's still silicon lottery since the Xtreme isn't binned. Meaning you have no better of a dice roll with the Xtreme to get a higher OC'er than the base model.

As for the extra LED's..

v3204kR.jpg

Ha yeah. The LEDs are whatever, and you're right, I definitely won't keep a card that long. Hell, my almost 2y/o 980ti is ancient by my usual upgrade standard.

I was able to Pre order the eVga 1080ti FTW3 from their site the other day. Free shipping no tax.
what was the price? I don't see a price listed on the site, just a Notify Me button now that they are sold out.
EDIT: I see it now, $749.

Looks like Amazon has the EVGA Founder's edition ready to order for an April 1st release. Waiting continues for AIB.

I pre-ordered the Aorus 1080i xtreme edition. I wish I knew which card had worse coil whine, the strix or the aorus, because I have heard reports of coil whine on the aorus but zero on the strix. Thats actually enough to shift me in purchase decisions.

Or is coil whine more of a lottery thing too with the power capacitors ? some do and some don't ?

Audio engineering and music is my main hobby so those high freq sounds reaaaaaaly grind my gears..

Asus rog strix on amazon now

*edit* or not.... I dont see one however got a now in stock alert for it

I see they just added a part number to the system for it.

Asus rog strix on amazon now

*edit* or not.... I dont see one however got a now in stock alert for it

I see they just added a part number to the system for it.

I'm waiting for newegg to get to avoid paying tax on it.

First impressions on my 1080ti strix OC which I received two days ago. Really impressed with it compared to my 980ti its about 8-10 degrees cooler in my 750d case. I haven't delved in Overclocking it yet but stock it never goes over 65 degrees and boost clock doesn't drop below 1949 even after a long gaming session.

First impressions on my 1080ti strix OC which I received two days ago. Really impressed with it compared to my 980ti its about 8-10 degrees cooler in my 750d case. I haven't delved in Overclocking it yet but stock it never goes over 65 degrees and boost clock doesn't drop below 1949 even after a long gaming session.

Where did you get it. Don't see them listed anywhere

Been F5'ing like crazy all week to get that strix, but then Asus said another couple weeks... of course it gets posted tonight on my drive home from work with no notice or any indication that it was going on sale.

Cant stand that shit after skipping the FE to wait for it.

So I bought a MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti. Going to sell my founders edition 1080 Ti here on [H] once it comes in. Will be selling below MSRP. The founders edition is a solid card but I really want a 2Ghz core clock. Not something you can achieve on the Founders Edition unless you like 90% fan speeds.

When did the Strix sell out on newegg? Also isn't the Aorus supposed to have good stock? I need a card fast because my 980Ti is literally dying.

When did the Strix sell out on newegg? Also isn't the Aorus supposed to have good stock? I need a card fast because my 980Ti is literally dying.
about 2:45 am phoenix time it was oss when I got done ordering mine

I pre-ordered the Aorus 1080i xtreme edition. I wish I knew which card had worse coil whine, the strix or the aorus, because I have heard reports of coil whine on the aorus but zero on the strix. Thats actually enough to shift me in purchase decisions.

Or is coil whine more of a lottery thing too with the power capacitors ? some do and some don't ?

Audio engineering and music is my main hobby so those high freq sounds reaaaaaaly grind my gears..
The propensity for coil whine is highly dependent on your PC configuration, not just the video card. Coil whine reports found on the web are usually due to the power supply. I personally have not experienced any coil whine with any video card, ever.
That price is ludicrous. :android:
Overclockers was the only site I could find it listed on at the time. Still $937.49 USD without the VAT... A FE + Corsair bracket + Corsair H50 works out to $808.98.

Back