1080ti Pre-order, Retail, and AIB availability watch

I'm waiting for the classified, lightning, or other custom 1080 Ti's to slap a water block on. Not wasting my time water cooling a reference design. My overclock was no better than air cooling. Learned my lesson.

Man this is not good timing... about to move into a new house on Tuesday and so busy. I'll probably have to wait until the move is over and try then.. Just no time to hawk over a 1080ti now. But I want one. :)

I just got shipping confirmation groom NVIDIA. I ordered my cards right at 10AM PST.

My Nvidia order shipped. Didn't expect it to go out till Monday, at the earliest, since I got the free shipping.

Got a EVGA and a Gigabyte from newegg. Hate that they limit it to 1 so you can't SLI the same brand of cards, yet a scalper could buy like 6 cards if they are all different brands.

Haven't decided what to do--they were in stock and I knew it might be my only chance to order for a while so I pulled the trigger. I put my ROG Strix 1080 pair on eBay, but it they don't sell and the 1080 TI's keep going for a good premium, I might just sell the TI's. I hate eBay fees.

They charged $48 for next business day with garaunteed AM delivery for two cards. That's really not bad.

Yeah, I just took the 3-5 day shipping. Supposed to arrive Wednesday. I'm still waiting on some watercooling parts, so I wasn't in a huge rush.

WTF..ppl are like fuking super human buyers...Took 1 minute and all sold out...Im on Gigabit ethernet....Jeesus christ.....F'in WHORES!!!!!

I had my girlfriend sit in the living room on a laptop with my credit card. She started hitting F5 about five minutes before they went on sale. She managed got it done super quick. In fact, the E-Mail I got is time stamped 9:59 PST. It must have let her order right before the 10AM release.

WTF..ppl are like fuking super human buyers...Took 1 minute and all sold out...Im on Gigabit ethernet....Jeesus christ.....F'in WHORES!!!!!

Heh, I got lucky I guess. Was gonna hold off until the MSI Twin Frozr came out, but decided I didn't wanna wait that long. I can always get it later and sell this one if it really matters that much...

Anyway, they appear to be restocking in waves, so there will probably be more soon.

on to the backordered asus @ newegg

you all are pretty vicious. I bet the whole forum here got most of the 12 cards they shipped at launch.

insert wait here...

at least I was able to get 350 for my 980ti, and another 130 for the hybrid cooler. hurts less, but now I gotta wait.

anybody got any idea why the asus is the only backorder card on the egg?

Last edited:
Kind of sucks, I got caught up in a call at 1PM and haven't been able to snag a couple yet. Not in a rush but this is really the part I hate about GPU launches.

Don't worry, they get taxed in the US too. But it's not shown in the retail price and it varies from state to state. And they also get taxed on other things or in different ways.
Tbh the fact that we only pay 10-20€ extra on top of the MSRP is actually amazing and we should be thankful :)
Some states have zero tax.. and pretty much every place I order online it is zero tax. Even then, if there is a tax buying locally, it is only 6% in my state.

Does anyone think the custom PCB versions like lightning, classified, etc will yield a higher overclock under water and are they worth waiting for?

I was able to grab an EVGA on newegg when they made the last wave available. keep f5ing, boys.

Does anyone think the custom PCB versions like lightning, classified, etc will yield a higher overclock under water and are they worth waiting for?
They're likely not going to offer a huge gain in overclock if it is anything like we've seen from the current Pascal line, but maybe more overclock stability/sustainability in terms of temperature and throttling. The advantages will likely be in the areas of VRM improvements, sensors, different power connectors (i.e. dual 8-pin), and heatsink solutions.

The potential is there if the AIB cards have considerably different or better VRM implementations. That said, it won't matter if the silicon hits the wall before any of that is needed. In my experience, I've always been able to get my reference cards to clock as high as any AIB card could and then some. I could potentially get AIB cards to clock higher but I'd have to wait on them. They usually come out weeks after the reference boards do. I'm rarely that patient. When I have waited and invested the extra coin in them I've rarely felt it was worth it over the reference designs. I usually pass on them.

Anytime I've felt the factory cooling didn't cut it, there have always been aftermarket alternatives to choose from.

Constantly refreshing was not enough. You had to be refreshing the right page. The first wave of Newegg cards was sold out before a single one showed up in a search for "1080 ti". There was around a page of discussion about the appearance and disappearance of cards on Newegg before half the thread could find the product page. Amazon still gives you several 1080 products as the first results when you search for "1080 Ti", with the sold out 1080 Tis a scroll or two down the page. I got cartjacked on nVidia's site because I derped around confusing store accounts with site accounts, and with the shipping speed. The only reason I was able to snag a pair was because someone posted a direct link in this thread to a Best Buy product page.

Moral of the story: watch store pages AND this thread like a hawk, and once your order is in post product URLs to help those who haven't found them yet. And for good measure, log into your desired merchant beforehand, and log into Paypal and/or save your payment method on your target merchant beforehand.

Lost another one... Zotac came up and got cartjacked. In other news, PNY is now available to place backorder.

It was so hard. internet was down. had to tether my phone. Missed the nvidia and all the cards, could have grabbed a pny at one point but hesitated, never had any of their products. I dont know about the asus backorder i did. I feel like i kinda just quit after missing the nvidia order the way i did, was in the cart just too slow with the slow connection. Sold my card a few weeks ago. held off a planned 1080 purchase. Its been a rough week.

It was so hard. internet was down. had to tether my phone. Missed the nvidia and all the cards, could have grabbed a pny at one point but hesitated, never had any of their products. I dont know about the asus backorder i did. I feel like i kinda just quit after missing the nvidia order the way i did, was in the cart just too slow with the slow connection. Sold my card a few weeks ago. held off a planned 1080 purchase. Its been a rough week.

PNY is gonna be just like any other reference card. All PNY is doing is slapping there sticker on it and calling it a day. I've had PNY cards before. No issues

PNY is gonna be just like any other reference card. All PNY is doing is slapping there sticker on it and calling it a day. I've had PNY cards before. No issues

I've had a couple of PNY GeForce cards in the past and no problems as well. I just avoid them now because of the rep and implications of that on reselling.

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AMP Extreme

Looks pretty damn bad ass....

ZOTAC-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-AMP-Extreme_1-840x630.jpg

My boss was sad, he though he'd gotten an ASUS from Newegg but it suddenly changed to "back ordered" after the order had already gone through. He may check our local computer shop as often nVidia does ship a couple cards to even small retailers. I got a 5870 back in the day when those were all out everywhere.

I got lucky in that I got a preorder from nVidia but unlucky in that overnight shipping proved to be a waste of money. Fedex got delayed today on account of weather but rather than the intelligent thing of "we'll deliver it tomorrow" they are pulling the "oh well this kind of shipping is for weekdays so you get it Monday." Not that I need it right away or anything it just annoys me how unwilling shippers are to attempt to make up for delays.

Back