1080ti Pre-order, Retail, and AIB availability watch

You and me both. I got 2 in the preorder, but I was going to grab one more for my brother. Been refreshing every retailer page all morning, that was a freaking waste of time. Seems like they never have enough stock for these new card launches. You'd think they would be better at gauging and meeting demand by now.

I'm pretty pissed my preorder hasn't shipped from NV yet, I got my order in within thirty seconds of them going live and I still don't have a ship date.

This is also a more-sought after card than most other TIs. Heck, most of the I ignore "TI"s as they tend to be refreshes not worth the time. But this card proves to be on the same level, or better than a Titan X at a fraction of the cost.

If it wasn't for Mass Effect and it's higher requirements... I wouldn't be jumping on the new hardware horse so quick. Mostly because I loved all previous ME games, and I really would like to play Fallout4 and XCOM2 in higher-quality than "Minimal" and "Low".

Last edited:
Just curious, I've literally never had a FE or stock cooler card. My 970 and 980ti weren't the stock coolers. Just how different generally on past releases were the temps between the stock and custom coolers anyway?? I have pretty good airflow and wire maintenance in my case, a lot of fans, and never have a problem with temps... but wondering how that stock fan really is, since I've never had a card with it before.

I got one from Amazon, MSI. I got one from Best Buy, eVGA. The Best Buy one says it Preparing so I take that as they actually have them, and I'll get it next week. The eVGA AIO is going on one and I get to decide if I need SLI or not...

That was a insane launch. Can tell there wasnt a lot of stock around. I got lucky and grabbed from from newegg.

This is also a more-sought after card than most other TIs. Heck, most of the I ignore "TI"s as they tend to be refreshes not worth the time. But this card proves to be on the same level, or better than a Titan X at a fraction of the cost.
I’m the exact opposite. Don’t buy a card unless it has a Ti at the end of its name.

780, 980, and 1080 have all been this way.

I got a backorder at Newegg. I was doing the F5 game on B&H, Newegg, Nvidia, and Amazon right at 10 am PST with no luck. Kept having them pulled out of my cart or otherwise vaporizing when trying to complete the purchase.

If it wasn't for Mass Effect and it's higher requirements... I wouldn't be jumping on the new hardware horse so quick. Mostly because I loved all previous ME games, and I really would like to play Fallout4 and XCOM2 in higher-quality than "Minimal" and "Low".

I disagree. The GTX 780Ti was faster than the original Titan in games at about half the cost. The 980Ti was again, just as fast as the Titan X (Maxwell) but overclocked like a beast, pulling ahead in games. This time is no different. If you ask me the Ti's are the cards to wait for if you aren't going to buy a Titan.

Reactions: Nenu
like this
Gonna wait awhile 1120 bucks (after taxes) in Canada at NCIX. Getting ripped off in Canada. same price when 1080 was released.

I like how Newegg disables shoprunner 2 day shipping on hard to get items :shifty:

Gonna wait awhile 1120 bucks (after taxes) in Canada at NCIX. Getting ripped off in Canada. same price when 1080 was released.

Ouch, that is quite the mark up. Wonder if that's import tax or something until they get more local stock on them?

Finally got my card home and did a bit of testing. So far so good. Card runs a little hot (80C) waiting for my waterblock before any kind of overclocking.

Finally got my card home and did a bit of testing. So far so good. Card runs a little hot (80C) waiting for my waterblock before any kind of overclocking.

How active are the fans by default? I would hope that they are fairly passive giving that high of a temp.

How active are the fans by default? I would hope that they are fairly passive giving that high of a temp.
Right now i still have my old fan curve from 980 ti hybrid which was really aggressive and it runs loud. Not sure whats the best software to use right now for OC'ing and getting the default fan curve for these cards.

"Paper launch" is an exaggeration because it seems quite a few got cards, but still disappointed it is so constrained. Already the price gouging has started by vendors on Amazon. Obviously a lot more demand for a $700 card than the $1000+ titan but this is still a niche market you wouldn't think it would be too hard to forward stock enough to satisfy... especially since a good percentage of people interested want an AIB card instead of an FE anyway.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
These are the times I don't like living overseas. I set my alarm for 2am, nothing. Then 3 am, received an email from Nvidia that I can purchase the card, however, page just keeps saying notify. Napped till 4am and... everything is sold out.

At 0450 Tokyo time Asus backorder popped back up on Newegg...

Also already see the scalpers popping up on Amazon...

Either way, enjoy your cards peeps, I'll be in wave 2 or so.

That does seem warm, but it's in line with the review. I'm definitely not going to regret waiting for better cooling solutions, imo. While I know that temp is fine, it's definitely a bit warm for my liking.

That is about the same mark-up we are seeing in the US at some places. Some sites have a +$50 USD mark-up over MSRP. $750 + tax at today's USD/CAD exchange rates puts you in the $1,100-1,150 CAD territory. Hate the fact that this always happens due to a lack of supply. Re-sellers on Amazon already have these listed at $999 USD.

Managed to get one around 1:10 for a friend doing a build (xp owner here) still says packaging but they charged my card which so far has always been a success for me at newegg. I like how even a pair of long standing online retailers still can't add new inventory in the middle of the day at a predetermined time without screwups.

The microcenters around here were all reportedly a shitshow of "pre-sold-out" of a half dozen cards: aka probably straight to ebay via employee's relatives and roommates.

LOL, gotta love Newegg. Just got an email advertising the 1080 Ti with a link to buy it now and every link is sold out.

Glad I didn't wait on notification from them to order one!

LOL, gotta love Newegg. Just got an email advertising the 1080 Ti with a link to buy it now and every link is sold out.

Glad I didn't wait on notification from them to order one!

Ha! I was thinking the same thing when I received that same email.

The microcenters around here were all reportedly a shitshow of "pre-sold-out" of a half dozen cards: aka probably straight to ebay via employee's relatives and roommates.

Its 100% true that Microcenter lets their employees do this. I spoke to one of them and confirmed.

I agree an employee should get first dibs for all the hard work they put in at the store (assuming they want to use it and not eBay it), but I also think that store should publicly announce they will not have the product available on release day.
The issue here is Microcenter doesn't want to let the public know their employees can purchase items before they are put out on the shelf, and thats shady.

Someone also mentioned it before, every Microcenter store is different. Who knows why corporate doesnt keep them all on the same page. One manager might forbid this practice while others allow it.

When I bought my Vive the free games code was already redeemed. I couldnt figure it out and HTC was nice enough to generate me a new code.
I later remember the cashier screwing with my receipt for a good minute behind the counter where I couldnt see it (possibly taking a picture with a phone) while shooting such random VR related BS with me that I was dying for him to end the conversation.

Last edited:
Its 100% true that Microcenter lets their employees do this. I spoke to one of them and confirmed.

I agree an employee should get first dibs for all the hard work they put in at the store, but I also think that store should publicly announce they will not have the product available on release day.
The issue here is Microcenter doesnt want to let the public know their employees can purchase items before they are put out on the shelf, and thats shady.

Most if not all the retailers allow this. When I worked at Best Buy and Comp USA back in the day, both places let me do that. I never put anything up on Ebay though. I always used the stuff for myself. It was all stuff that I wanted to use anyway. It was nice that I could buy things for less than the public generally could. It helped make my dollars stretch further back when I had a lot less of them.

Managed to get one around 1:10 for a friend doing a build (xp owner here) still says packaging but they charged my card which so far has always been a success for me at newegg. I like how even a pair of long standing online retailers still can't add new inventory in the middle of the day at a predetermined time without screwups.

I picked my card up from MC today, apparently none of the employees where allowed to purchase them, granted they could be lying through their teeth.

Just curious, I've literally never had a FE or stock cooler card. My 970 and 980ti weren't the stock coolers. Just how different generally on past releases were the temps between the stock and custom coolers anyway?? I have pretty good airflow and wire maintenance in my case, a lot of fans, and never have a problem with temps... but wondering how that stock fan really is, since I've never had a card with it before.

Personally I would wait for a custom cooler card unless you're gonna put the card on water, the stock blower is kind of loud if you're running it at max OC.

Back