1080ti Next Week $699.00

where are the price cuts on the 1080 and 1070?...I thought Nvidia stated it would take effect 'immediately'?...Amazon and Newegg are still showing the same old prices

Normally I'd upgrade for the hell of it but my single 1080 still seems fine on my Acer X34... maybe I'm playing the wrong games.

What games these days really push the boundaries? Not being coy, I'm really looking for ones to try.

I have SLI OC'd 980ti's and a X34. Witcher 3 completely maxed out with several graphic mods installed pushes the system mightily. I average between 55-75 FPS.

Rise of the Tomb Raider completely maxed out is also a brutal resource hog. Beautiful game though.

where are the price cuts on the 1080 and 1070?...I thought Nvidia stated it would take effect 'immediately'?...Amazon and Newegg are still showing the same old prices

I would say they will probably show up within a few days

1070 and 1080 is already down in price in Europe. Began the same day. 1080 can be had for ~450$ and up now.

A 354bit bus is very strange. Involves a 2 prime base of 177 bits. In theory should have just slightly over 11GB of RAM. The card probably has some ROPs clipped too.

320bit and 10GB would've made much more sense.

A 354bit bus is very strange. Involves a 2 prime base of 177 bits. In theory should have just slightly over 11GB of RAM. The card probably has some ROPs clipped too.

320bit and 10GB would've made much more sense.

FYI its 352bit. Its not strange at all and there is nothing weird to it. Its just a single 32bit controller disabled including its 8 ROPs. And you are left with 11GB and 88 ROPs.

320bit and 10GB would mean lower yields than they are. 352bit and 88 ROPs means yields are great for Nvidia.

I'm building an ITX gaming box for my nephew. Was going to install a 1070, but now I'm thinking about giving him my 1080 and giving me a 1080Ti... assuming any are in stock over the next month or two.

The ~performance over 1080.

upload_2017-3-5_10-20-38.png

The ~performance over 1080.

View attachment 18538
That looks to be very substantial. Plus the price at $699. Without Vega even launched, this is feeling like the 980Ti and FuryX launch last time - Which Nvidia released just prior to AMD :ROFLMAO:. You gotta love Nvidia in that respect - they are hard players and deserve all the credit if they win again. I am hoping Vega will stand a little bit better this round.

Since Vega 10 is HBM2, I am expecting a SFF card that can replace the Nano but it will need to perform well to make it worth it.

I keep telling myself I am good with 2 1070s, now with a looming RyZen upgrade . . . this 1080Ti may get me to nudge there. Still will wait to see what Vega has to offer. Plus reason of, hey what game can I not play maxed out may hold up well with any temptations.

The CFO at Nvidia hinted Vega would also only compete with 1080. Leaving the 1080ti quite ahead.

I have SLI OC'd 980ti's and a X34. Witcher 3 completely maxed out with several graphic mods installed pushes the system mightily. I average between 55-75 FPS.

Rise of the Tomb Raider completely maxed out is also a brutal resource hog. Beautiful game though.

Witcher 3 has terrible SLI scaling, particularly with AA, Water Tesselation, or Gameworks. Many multiplats had this issue under DX11. The perf hit for those those features is double or triple the hit versus a single card. Both the 1080 and Titan X have way smoother performance in Witcher 3 than 980Ti SLI.

The CFO at Nvidia hinted Vega would also only compete with 1080. Leaving the 1080ti quite ahead.

Really? Who in their right mind would give any weight to the opinion of a bean counter at Nvidia on Vega performance?

Look, I am going to be picking up a 1080 ti next week, but even I don't believe that BS

How the heck would the CFO know?

And of course an Nvidia rep would say that... they don't want you buying their competitor's products. :whistle:

What I find interesting when Nvidia puts up numbers people in general accept them which really I think Nvidia is relatively accurate. Now when AMD puts up numbers - lol - everyone just believe they are BS - which unfortunately is proven true time and time again. So if these performance numbers represent actual hardware ability out of the box - that just helps Nvidia as well in the long run for people to have confidence in what they say is true = way more sells than off the wall testing that AMD did in the past. The good news is AMD has been rather quiet with Vega other than showcasing against a 1080T with favorable games (better job by RTG so far but still a little bit of fluff and no real meat).

If for some reason Vega matches the 1080Ti, with less memory - I still think it will have to sell for less as in $649 if truely competitive. If it does not match and in between the 1080Ti and 1080 - $549. Nvidia laid down their cards extremely well in this hand. Of course by some miracle Vega top model in general beats the 1080Ti which many of us hope for will make this a much more interesting year overall.

How the heck would the CFO know?

And of course an Nvidia rep would say that... they don't want you buying their competitor's products. :whistle:

You can begin with AMD showing the product against a 1080.

But really do you think competitors dont know performance 6 months or more in advance? I am sure AMD already know where Volta sits. Just as Intel knew where Ryzen and Naples would land and AMD where SKLEP/X and CNL lands.

At the end of the Pascal cycle while Volta will be released Q3/Q4. If I had a 980Ti, I wouldn't unless I had cash to burn...(I usually do, LOL)
Following the time between GTX releases and Ti-to-GTX releases both place the Volta release sometime between Jan 2018 (CES 2018) - April 2018.

So much for 1080 Ti being faster than Titan X. We're typically pulling 7600-7900 graphics score in Fire Strike Ultra when overclocked.

All [H] users:
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9641675
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/14658071?
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/10145752

Yeah, I know: canned benchmarks blah blah blah.

So much for 1080 Ti being faster than Titan X. We're typically pulling 7600-7900 graphics score in Fire Strike Ultra when overclocked.

All [H] users:

It's not about the benchmark being canned so much as you are quoting 3D Mark Fire Strike specifically. That piece of shit doesn't use an actual game engine and the variables that impact your score aren't necessarily what impacts actual gaming performance.

All [H] users:

I'm pretty sure the "faster than the Titan X" is just referring to the fact that it has a higher base clock than the Titan X, if you overclock both cards I expect performance to be identical.

I'm pretty sure the "faster than the Titan X" is just referring to the fact that it has a higher base clock than the Titan X, if you overclock both cards I expect performance to be identical.

Assuming the Titan X overclocked the same as the 1080Ti, it should be faster. I don't know how well Pascal based Titan X's overclock but the Maxwell Titan's don't overclock for shit.

11GB 352-bit is no more 'strange' than the 896MB 448-bit'ness the GTX260 used.

Makes one wonder if Nvidia has been stockpiling all the leftover GP102s that failed to go into the Titan XP bins?

A 448 bit bus is a 7prime base bus. Theres a few GPUs that have had such busses. GtX 970 comes to mind, though it was falsley sold as 256bit.

If its even 5% slower than Titan X, I'll take it. I have $760 reserved for this card including expedited shipping :) :)

I would too. I think the AIB cards with 11GB of memory and fewer CUDA cores is roughly 95% everything that the Titan X (Pascal) cards are, clock speeds not withstanding. Given the price difference I think the GTX 1080Ti is a no brainer.

Reactions: drklu
like this
A 448 bit bus is a 7prime base bus. Theres a few GPUs that have had such busses. GtX 970 comes to mind, though it was falsley sold as 256bit.

They are both divisible by 32, and that pretty much clicks 'ok' with me. If you needed to design a mux (from the ground up) to handle 352 and 448 outputs respectively, you would just start with a standard 2^5=32 output mux and join multiple units together to get the desired width you need. Alternatively, if you already have one with a width that exceeds your needs, then you can easily scale it back by grounding wires or never toggling certain mux inputs. It's not just about powers of two, it's about building from existing blocks.

I always buy the Titan-X's because I don't really care about the cost and they typically come out LONG before the Ti's, in this case I've had mine since day 1 now and have been enjoying it. But you can't help but wish Nvidia would stop doing things this way, though. Although the money doesn't bother me knowing that people are spending hundreds less a few months later on a Ti that performs identically, MEH. Kind of makes you want to give Nvidia the finger.

I always buy the Titan-X's because I don't really care about the cost and they typically come out LONG before the Ti's, in this case I've had mine since day 1 now and have been enjoying it. But you can't help but wish Nvidia would stop doing things this way, though. Although the money doesn't bother me knowing that people are spending hundreds less a few months later on a Ti that performs identically, MEH. Kind of makes you want to give Nvidia the finger.

That was my attitude about the Maxwell TITAN X's. I've had my cards since launch week or soon after and have enjoyed them all that time. The previous Titan's I didn't purchase. I had 3x GeForce 780's and didn't want to upgrade at the time. I skipped that generation and went for the 780Ti's instead. I only skipped the Pascal Titan's because I knew the 1080Ti's were coming and the Pascal Titans were so much more than my Maxwell ones were. I paid like $1050 or $1100 for each of them. I can't find Pascal Titan's for less than $1450 or so today. When I looked at them initially they were all closer to $1,600. I wasn't willing to go in for $3200 on cards I knew would be supplanted or matched for half that price. $2200 vs. $1,600 I'll do. I'm not doing $3200 vs. $1400. I'm not normally patient but given I've got other expensive hobbies I actually decided to wait.

So it doesn't bother you, but it bothers you? ;)

So other than the Nvidia site, (that is now sold out) where else could I get one(and when?)? I bought my 1080 at microcenter on day 1, haven't seen any mention yet on when there going on sale there or anywhere else....

Hahaha. Titan X is a foolish GPU to buy. You know that going in so why complain later when that foolishness is proven. I cannot wait for the 1080ti!

Titan isn't really "foolish", it's just not cost effective or budget friendly. If you have the money to spend, go for it. Should you buy it if you're barely paying your bills? No way.

It's like calling exotic sports cars "foolish", or taking a week-long cruise, or whatever. A Titan card is a luxury item to be sure, but it's not foolish by itself.

Titan isn't really "foolish", it's just not cost effective or budget friendly. If you have the money to spend, go for it. Should you buy it if you're barely paying your bills? No way.

It's like calling exotic sports cars "foolish", or taking a week-long cruise, or whatever. A Titan card is a luxury item to be sure, but it's not foolish by itself.
To each their own buddy.

So it doesn't bother you, but it bothers you? ;)

Basically it doesn't bother me when I make my purchase. But 6 months down the road when the Ti comes out for half the cost at the same performance, now it bothers me. Because the premium I paid for was literally paying for "early access".

Not to mention Titan cards don't even get game bundles on top of it all. Honestly Nvidia SHOULD throw us a fuckin bone and give us a couple freebies for opening our wallets for what we knew EXACTLY was going to happen down the road with a Ti. But it's Nvidia.

Back