1080ti FTW3 fan going crazy

lightsout

[H]ard|Gawd
Just bought a used 1080ti ftw3. The fan keeps ramping up to 100% when the temp is sitting at 37c. Doesn't matter if I use precision or AB when it does this I can't adjust it. Previously had a 1070 and 1080ti in this system without issue.

I uninstalled precision (never liked it and the OSD won't work in BFV), uninstalled and reinstalled AB but the issue persists. Sometimes it won't do it for a while, sometimes its every couple minutes.

I read a similar post on the evga forum about checking in the fan headers are securely plugged in and that fixed the issue, but not really wanting to take the card apart if I don't have to.

I had a 970 that had the same problem. Upon closer inspection I found a small nick in the wiring from the sharp edge of the metal fan shroud. Look for pinched or damaged wiring between the header to the fans. You might be able to see the trouble spot without having to disassemble the card.

I had a 970 that had the same problem. Upon closer inspection I found a small nick in the wiring from the sharp edge of the metal fan shroud. Look for pinched or damaged wiring between the header to the fans. You might be able to see the trouble spot without having to disassemble the card.
What did you do when you found it?

My not-so-elegant solution involved a small piece of electrical tape over the damaged spot, and moving the wires away from the shroud. I was able to do this without taking the card apart.

If the wire is fine, and since it's used, you may want to flash a stock EVGA BIOS in case the one on there now is modified. Also, have you flipped the dual BIOS switch on the card to see if the issue is with both?

Back