1080p TN > 1440p IPS *PICS*

SHiZNiLTi

Gawd
Been testing out some new displays the last few weeks.

Acer XB271HU - 1440p - IPS
Asus MG279Q - 1440p - IPS
Benq XL2730Z - 1440p - TN
Benq XL2720Z - 1080p - TN
Benq XL2430T - 1080p - TN

The 24" XL2430T is the winner for me! (money isn't a factor in this decision)

I'm not a casual gamer, but I do play at a "pro" level in BF4 if that makes sense.

I have to say after playing around with these monitors for the last few days IPS is overrated and 1440p isn't all that it's hyped out to be.

With the correct ICC profile and proper tuning the 2430T is almost equal to the image quality I get from IPS.

I find that with the small 24" screen it's easier to acquire target location and just feels faster overall.

Keep in mind I'm not one for 100% accurate color and a "dull image", I like vibrance in game.

What makes the monitor a winner to me is the one that looks the best in game and gives me the biggest advantage so obviously don't want to run the black equalizer cranked up washing out colors.

With my Benq 2430T I can see difference from 0-95...

jwcolourtestcard1024.jpg

Here's my setup.

If you have any questions about the above monitors I've tested, please ask.

I've got the monitor perfectly aligned centered up with my eyes, no viewing angle issues here...

EcMMMbi.jpg

eXfKWQ6.jpg

VfEhUcg.jpg

mOFx5yK.jpg

gEiI6rQ.jpg

IPS is garbage, its the "10% real juice" of juice beverages.

If you want to blow your mind OP, pick up a S2417DG or throw three FG2421s in portrait

IPS is garbage, its the "10% real juice" of juice beverages.

If you want to blow your mind OP, pick up a S2417DG or throw three FG2421s in portrait
I was honestly just looking at that monitor and debating if it's worth purchasing.

Very impressive specs 24" 8bit TN @ 1440p and 144hz.

this topic is the kind of same reason why I still have and I use my BenQ XL2420TE for gaming since day one I tested it.

I was honestly just looking at that monitor and debating if it's worth purchasing.

Its worth it. Best gaming monitor I have ever tried... and I have owned them all. Blows the 27" versions out of the water, just remember to calibrate the colors correctly...I posted the colors in my post history.

It's definitely worth it to me. I bought one as an upgrade to my VG248QE on my 2nd computer and ended up using it on my main PC replacing my Acer XB270HU and I like it way more than the Acer.

this is maybe a stupid question but why exactly is the 24" better than the 27" ? if your gaming at the native res it seems like would be hard to see enemies?

this is maybe a stupid question but why exactly is the 24" better than the 27" ? if your gaming at the native res it seems like would be hard to see enemies?
Same reason why you almost never see any pro players running ultrawides, less screen real estate to have to scan with your eyes, many take it way to far and run lower rez w/ "black bars". . .

Greater pixel density on the 24"s also makes things much sharper than their 27" cousins

l88bastard said:

I suspect you have already done this: I would be interested in getting more feedback from you directly comparing those two monitors. If you have already posted that please point me in the right direction.

All told, I probably favor the Dell especially for the G-sync so far, the resolution, the pixel density...

Last edited:
The problem with the BenQ XL2411Z which is no longer being made I have boxed up were color presets and the color was washed out it didn't matter what I did.
I even have people message me like two weeks ago on what settings I used to make it look good. I said Photo Mode was the best setting everything else looked bad.
Part of the problem it's a `144hz monitor Blur reduction was too dark and higher refresh rates washed out the color for some reason.
You really need to try a 24" 1440P

if ASUS ever makes a 24" Gsync version one I'll be all over it. The need to make a fully adjustable stand though like the Dell monitor has.

I suspect you have already done this: I would be interested in getting more feedback from you directly comparing those two monitors. If you have already posted that please point me in the right direction.

All told, I probably favor the Dell especially for the G-sync so far, the resolution, the pixel density...

I got three FG2421s in portrait. They have top of the line VA panels so color, black level, contrast, viewing angles are excellent...what sets this display apart is its 240hz strobing mode which give them motion clarity rivaling CRTs. Three in portrait is like having a giant FW900
eizo3.jpg

and the three Dells work better in landscape mode with Gsync.....I'm not a fan of landscape surround, however, they absolutely rock in BF4....and soon to be BF1 :)

Triple_IT.jpg

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
So what are you doing? Using all four monitors depending on games/useage?

Last edited:
So what are you doing? Using all four monitors depending on games/useage?

I founded an entertainment company and am producing a video game and internet tv show based on original characters....I also like to play games, and when I get bored with one setup or prefer another I just switch things around.... so my office looks like some sort of NASA control room :)

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Greater pixel density on the 24"s also makes things much sharper than their 27" cousins
1080p at 24" is 92 PPI
1440p at 27" is 108 PPI
2160p at 32" is 138 PPI

I got three FG2421s in portrait. They have top of the line VA panels so color, black level, contrast, viewing angles are excellent...what sets this display apart is its 240hz strobing mode which give them motion clarity rivaling CRTs. Three in portrait is like having a giant FW900
Viewing angle and response time are problematic for VA panels.
The FG2421 are definitely not like CRTs. Eizo's Turbo 240 double-strobes the image.
Here are a couple of test images you can try:The FG2421 has the same hot-spotting and gamma shift problems as any other VA display.

1080p at 24" is 92 PPI
1440p at 27" is 108 PPI
2160p at 32" is 138 PPI

Viewing angle and response time are problematic for VA panels.
The FG2421 are definitely not like CRTs. Eizo's Turbo 240 double-strobes the image.
Here are a couple of test images you can try:
The FG2421 has the same hot-spotting and gamma shift problems as any other VA display.

Please don't put words in my mouth, that is not what I said. I still have a Sony FW900 CRT and I SAID the FG2421 has MOTION CLARITY rivaling crt....its not as good as CRT motion, however, its image is much sharper than CRT so its tit for tat.

And 27" 108PPI is inferior to 24" 120PPI, thus the 24" 1440ps have superior clarity vs their 27" cousins...yes that 12ppi difference was noticeable enough for me to pack my X34 up and put it on the bay.

Also, I can give a shit about minor hot spots and gamma shift. I got these FG2421s for $240 each, which is an unbeatable value. IPS, VA & TN tech is obsolete and all have drawbacks, to try and find perfection in that tech is asinine. I have a 55" LG OLED in my bedroom and next to that displays image quality everything else is crap....so really we get by on this stuff until OLED hits 2017-2019

Last edited:
Back