1080P LCD TV for PC gaming

Sky15

2[H]4U
Does anyone use a TV for PC gaming monitor. I know resolution won't be as high, but it seems tempting.

Thanks. BTW, you can lock my other thread in Displays forum if ya want.

Check out HTPC forum here

Check out AVSForums HTPC section: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26

and HTPC Gaming Section; http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=145

I plan on using my new HTPC build for gaming on my new Samsung LN52A750 LCD.

I gamed on my Olevia 42 inch 720p set and it looked great and I would think that the 1080p sets will look great too.

The only thing I would think is how big the TV and how far or close you want to be from the TV to game where it looks good to you.

I use a 37" 1080p westinghouse, as I'm sure many others do seeing as there was a crazy long post about it on the display forums for a looong time.

I think 1920x1080 is pretty great, though I've only played oblivion, CS;S, cs1.6, tf2, hl2's, wow on it, but it looks great.

i have been gaming on my westinghouse lvm-37w3 since shortly after christmas, 2006. I play only at native res. I love my screen!

(sorry, I am sick...there's usually way more useful info in my posts)

From what I've read so far the A550 is probably the best buy but those with more money consider the toshiba XF550, Samsung A650/A750 (same panel just different speakers/firmware features) and Sony xbr4. Other than perhaps sound it has been unclear to me if the pricers tv have much to offer (they are 120MHZ and have predictive logic that attempts to smooth the image but the verdicts seems mixed).

Personally I am leaning towards either the A550 or XF550 (samsung or toshiba). At the low end you have the ever popular westinghouse and to a lesser degree olevia.

The Westinghouse 37" is pretty popular around here. It's affordable and looks great at native resolution. The Toshiba and Samsung will look a lot better at anything but native res due to superior deinterlacing and upscaling hardware.

Remember that although a display may be 120Hz, that doesn't mean you can actually output 120Hz to it. The screen just refreshes twice as often. As far as I know, this is still the case of all 120Hz LCD displays. I honestly can't tell the difference between an HDTV that outputs 120Hz and one that does not, but that doesn't change the fact that the Samsung and Toshiba displays are superior aside from that.

First TV I bought for PC gaming was a westing house 47" 1080p. It was awsome! I now have a 32" sharp aquas 1080p and it is even better! I would never go back to <30" screen for gaming. Response times are great, colors are great, everything is just awsome and highly recomended.

I have a samsung 46" a550, and its great at 1080p(HDMI-DVI) to my PC. Extremely sharp. Tried Titan Quest on it the other day and it was great.

just realize that you'll probably want to calibrate the color. sitting next to my silicon graphics trinitron CRT, the colors were a bit off, and it needed tweaking to compare to my CRT.

You don't want a screen that goes higher than 1920x1080 anyway. Even 1680x1050 like a 22" widescreen LCD monitor has is pushing your luck for good frame rates in some games so 1920x1080 is about as high as I would even want to go.

I'm doing my gaming on a Sharp Aquos 46" LC-46D64U 1080p tv and it looks great.

most games are playable at 1920x1080 with my BFG 8800GT OC and E8200 2.66 core2

I'll bump Age of Conan up to 1920x1080 once they add UI scaling and I can read everything.

Looks good at 1360x768 too, though.

I use a Samsung LN-T4065F. It works nicely and has really lessened my desire to upgrade my "main" 19" LCD computer monitor.

Cool, sounds awesome. I was thinking a Dell 27" LCD or a 1080P XBR6 or A550.

I run a 26" Polaroid as a TV/monitor, and a 19 CRT as a monitor in a dual configuration. I set it to CRT only if I want to watch TV while I am on the computer.

Anyone using a Samsung LN32A650? I think I might pick that one up instead of the A550 or the XBR6

I'm doing my gaming on a Sharp Aquos 46" LC-46D64U 1080p tv and it looks great.

most games are playable at 1920x1080 with my BFG 8800GT OC and E8200 2.66 core2

I'll bump Age of Conan up to 1920x1080 once they add UI scaling and I can read everything.

Looks good at 1360x768 too, though.

Can you post pics of AoC on your TV?

Thanks

Well, I juts placed an Order with Amazon for a Sammy LN32A650. If worse comes to worst and don't like it, I'll just sue it as a second TV. But I'm sure it will be nice.

its a great set, you'll be happy with the performance. hopefully you'll like the red highlights, i like the look of them, but some people don't.

its a great set, you'll be happy with the performance. hopefully you'll like the red highlights, i like the look of them, but some people don't.

That's a reason I bought it, the red highlight, looks clean.

I bought a 1080p LN32A650, and I still want to keep my 24" Dell LCD close by. How woul;d I go about having my Dell on stand by when I want to play 360 or PS3 on the 1080p, which will be ,y main monitor, and switch my PC to my stand by Dell so I have my internet and Itunes and browsing right by., while gaming on my 1080P monitor?

I hope that's clear.

Here's how I do it:

- Cable box goes into component input 1 (or HDMI 3) of TV
- Xbox 360 goes into HDMI input 1 on TV
- LCD computer monitor hooks into DVI output 1 of the video card
- DVI out 2 of the video card goes into HDMI input 2 of the TV via DVI->HDMI cable

TV remote switches between cable box, Xbox 360, and video card. NVIDIA desktop manager on the PC taskbar switches between single display on either DVI port, or separate, simultaneous displays (DualView). [At the moment, though, I use SLI, so I can't use separate displays unless I disable SLI.]

I use a Samsung LN-T4065F. It works nicely and has really lessened my desire to upgrade my "main" 19" LCD computer monitor.

Same here except I picked up the 46" variety. Games look very nice and it's a step up for me from my 1280x1024 19" LCD.

Well, I juts placed an Order with Amazon for a Sammy LN32A650. If worse comes to worst and don't like it, I'll just sue it as a second TV. But I'm sure it will be nice.

Hey Sky15 I was wondering how the tv is coming along?

Hows the PQ? I'm planning on getting this tv very soon as a main tv/monitor but would like to have your opinion since you have it already. How is the text for like web browsing.

I hope it hasn't been disappointing.

Also one thing I have been wondering, do you have to play your pc games at 1920x1080 the tvs native resolution or can you lower the resolution in-game to lets say 1680x1050?

Thanks and hope to here from you soon.

Back