1080p @ 144hz or 1440p @ 60z

MuscleNerd

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone,

I'm looking at getting a monitor. Currently using a 32" vizio TV 1080p @ 60hz. My setup is to powerful for this and it's taking a lot of load off of my gpu and leaving me cpu bound.

-Ryzen 1700 @ 3.7
-EVGA 1070 SC
-16 GB DDR4 PNY ANARCHY 2666

Would I benefit more from a 1080p 144hz monitor or a 1440p 60hz monitor? Could it even keep up with a 1440p 144hz monitor?

Thanks.

Honestly, having a 1440p 60hz Dell Ultrasharp IPS panel that I love, I still wished I had 144hz pretty bad. My buddy has 144hz gsync 1080p monitor and it's lovely to play Rocket League and BF1 on, really really nice. On the other hand, would I go back to 1080p? Never! Even if you are gaming below 144hz @ 1440p, the refresh rate on a 120+hz monitor will make everything feel smoother.

My vote, 1440p @ 144hz if you don't need IPS.

Edit: Also, playing BF and other types of games, the extra pixels really help with seeing enemies from far away. I would go on my buddy's 25" 1080p monitor and have a much harder time pinpointing enemies from a distance.

If you play a lot of games where high frame rates and responsiveness matter a lot, I'd suggest that a high refresh rate be your first priority.

However 1440p, even at 60hz, is an upgrade for all purposes and therefore makes more sense than 1080p@144hz from a cost-effectiveness standpoint.

Really the best option, if you can afford it, is 1440p @ 144hz.

Or you could try 4K @ 60hz, but that is probably the most expensive upgrade and you may struggle to maintain 60 FPS in a lot of games if you don't reduce other graphics settings.

Would I benefit more from a 1080p 144hz monitor or a 1440p 60hz monitor? Could it even keep up with a 1440p 144hz monitor?

Keep up? If you can afford it, no reason not to go QHD 144hz. You don't have to V-Sync 144hz. Especially since you will get a G Sync monitor.

I actually cannot see tearing in first person shooters when they are rendering above 144hz on my monitor, regardless of gsync mode. Given the choice to get g-sync as a $100 addon option, I would skip it. Too bad that isn't an option.

how badly do you want to upgrade? lots of new stuff on the horizon.

if you play games at all, i highly recommend prioritizing refresh rate over all else. high refresh rate is currently the single greatest upgrade you can give yourself in a monitor.

if you're more competitive-minded, i would not buy a monitor larger than 24". i went to 27" from 24" and it's impossible to focus on such a large area. my awareness has suffered because of it; currently experimenting with black bars. there's a reason that less than 5% of CS:GO professionals, for example, use screens larger than 24" (and the ones that do, most of them play at 1080p or lower non-stretched) and 0% of them use resolutions >1080p.

i would recommend the S2417DG in case of the latter, and one of the newer SVA Samsungs if you're not super competitive. hell, even if you're super competitive but the Dell is too expensive, the C24FG70 would still be a great buy. better IQ than everything else without the traditionally terrible VA response times. even has a brand-agnostic strobe feature.

your CPU will bottleneck you in some games, specifically ones that use less than 4 threads. this includes lots of UE3 games. strongly suggest you overclock it as much as you're comfortable with.

Last edited:
There are also 240hz 1080p monitors out there (all like 24.5 inch diagonal), however the cheapest I know of is $500.

Back