1080 to 1080ti, worth it??

v6maro

[H]ard|Gawd
Since prices have come down a bit, I always wanted to step up to the 1080ti, just not sure it's worth it? I have a friend willing to buy my 1080 for about $450 and I was looking at the evga 1080ti hybrid which is about 900 on amazon now. I'm just not sure how worth it it'd be? Are new cards coming out this fall too?

It's about 20% increase in performance and will probably be within 10% of the performance of the nextgen stuff until the new Ti series is released which is generally 9-12 months after the inital x80 release. I made the jump when my 1080 started acting up on me and it was a nice little upgrade. I will forever wait for the Ti of each version now ;)

I plan to wait for the new cards, then see how they perform and then probably buy a used 1080 Ti when enthusiasts start dumping them for the new cards. Then buy the next gen Ti when it comes out.

Since prices have come down a bit, I always wanted to step up to the 1080ti, just not sure it's worth it? I have a friend willing to buy my 1080 for about $450 and I was looking at the evga 1080ti hybrid which is about 900 on amazon now. I'm just not sure how worth it it'd be? Are new cards coming out this fall too?
Assuming you intend to use the card for games, it depends on the display you intend to use.

if you have a really nice monitor, whether that means 4K, or a particularly high refresh rate, it may be worth it, especially if you play relatively new games. Otherwise, and I speak as someone who actually did upgrade to a 1080Ti from a 1080, you likely won't notice the difference.

The reason I did the upgrade, though, is VR. If the monitor you intend to use is a VR headset, and you're regularly playing the higher end VR games, then the upgrade would definitely be worth it. In my case, the game I was playing that struggled with "only" a 1080 was Elite Dangerous. With a 1080, whenever I'd be near a large, complex object like a space station or field of asteroids, it would struggle to maintain the required 90 FPS, and go into reprojection, which is super obvious in that game, and quite distracting. The 1080 Ti is powerful enough to stay above 90 pretty much all the time.

I upgraded from a 1080 to 1080 Ti for about 140 bucks earlier this year by timing the sale/purchase right during the mining madness. For less than 200 it is probably worth it, esp if you play at UWQHD or 4K, otherwise not so much.

Definitely not worth it, but if you have to, I'd suggest going for used one with box and receipt (for warranty purposes).

It was not long ago this year YouTube circus freaks reported the GTX 2080 that will hit the shelfs soon with 16gb of HBM 2 memory than it moved to this forum, in fact they got it all wrong why would Nvidia release a 16GB GPU when their most powerful Titian V had only 12GB! now the story unfolds it now 1180 no one for sure knows when Nvidia will release the new cards, there still allots of fake news online, if you want to wait to the end of this year or next that's your choice just 20% faster over the 1080 ti and compare to the new price you would willing to pay for, or just buy a 1080 TI now it's not worth spending all that extra cash on a top end graphic card that will be replaced over a year just for 20% faster!

Last edited:
I only upgrade when something I want to play is no longer able to run on current hardware. I just finally upgrade my 980 to a 1080ti, as no amount of changing enb settings and ini files could overcome the memory limit. If you have an urgent need then it's a great upgrade. If you can wait hopefully the prices will continue to decline.

I did a move from the 1080 to a 1080ti about a year ago before the prices inflated due to crypto and it was 100% worth it for my 1440p 144hz panel. It allowed me to play a number of titles well above the 60FPS mark and keep things smooth.

It’s more than a 20% upgrade. More like a 30-35% upgrade

That said I think I’d hold off for the 1180 if I were you for another potential 20%. Making it 50-55%. It might only be a couple more months.

Usually ti users should upgrade to the next ti card and 80 users should upgrade to the next 80 card. The half steps are not as big a leap.

If you're running 4K res, it's worth it. I had a Ti briefly, and used a Titan X Pascal for a while, and the performance in 4K was nice, but just making it to 60fps in modern games. With a vanilla 1080 it would have been a bigger struggle.

But if you are at a lower resolution (especially at 60Hz) then there probably isn't a great value there other than to be [H]ard.

Last edited:
I would honestly hold off. I game at 4k60 and 60hz is very easy to achieve with lowered settings. I really want to move to 4k144hz which will need a much faster GPU. Many games are brutal at 60hz so I often swap back to a low res high refresh panel.

I find my GPU struggles a lot more at 1440p144 than 4k60.

OP, if you want max settings at 4k60 or have a 1440p144hz monitor, I would find a 1080 ti. that $900 price is a rip off.

it also really depends on the games you play and monitor res and refresh rate.

As stated before several times for 4K yes for sure. I did the same and where my 1080 struggled at 4K in spots the 1080ti made a very noticeable difference.

I would definitely wait. At this point, nVidia is just trying to clear out their channel glut before the new cards drop. I wouldn't play that game.

It's absurd. The cards are a year and a half old (almost) and are still selling for MSRP.

Just wait for the next gen to drop. The performance is bound to be better than the current 10890Ti. If the pricing is insane (it was rumored), then there is still a window to pick up the 1080Ti. You would also get a better deal on used cards, if that's your thing.

If you don't get jealous or buyer's remorse when the 'next best thing' comes over the horizon and is potentially cheaper, and you can take advantage of the extra horsepower (i.e. as other posters have stated if your current games run too slow at too low of a resolution), then sure. Otherwise, hold off until the new cards are out.

As a general rule, it's much better to buy in at the beginning of a product cycle as you can enjoy it for the entire lifetime.

I did this change myself, but my decision was spurred by my previous upgrade from a 1080 resolution to a 1440 resolution.

In my use case, I feel it was worth it. Both my panels were 144hz, and while the GTX 1080 drove the 1080 resolution just fine at the framerates I aim for, it couldn't quite cut it at 1440p.

So I'll answer your question with a question: what resolution and refresh rate are you targeting?

I have a brand new 1080ti in the box never used for sale in the for sale section, make me an offer.

It’s more than a 20% upgrade. More like a 30-35% upgrade

That said I think I’d hold off for the 1180 if I were you for another potential 20%. Making it 50-55%. It might only be a couple more months.

Usually ti users should upgrade to the next ti card and 80 users should upgrade to the next 80 card. The half steps are not as big a leap.

I would say wait for the Ti card regardless. History tells us it will come out several months later for the same price as the 80 card.

There's no way it's going to be 2020. First half of 2019 at the latest. The 1080s are ancient already.

There's no way it's going to be 2020. First half of 2019 at the latest. The 1080s are ancient already.

There is still no confirmation on the 1180 will come out this year or not from NVidia, that's unless you read too much fake news online or fake YouTube.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parja
like this
There is still no confirmation the 1180 will come out this year or not from NVidia, that's unless you read too much fake news online or fake YouTube.

Right, and the x80 Ti variant has been 9 and 10 months behind the initial x80 release for the last two generations, so we're probably looking at mid-2019 at the earliest.

Last year, I went from a 1080 to 1080Ti for 4K, as others have stated. I'm very pleased with the performance and will stick with my Ti for another year or two, at least.

You should be able to find a Ti card for $600 pretty easily. If you can really get 450 for yours then for $150 bucks I'd say yes, it's most definitely worth it if you have anything better than a 1080p monitor.

Right, and the x80 Ti variant has been 9 and 10 months behind the initial x80 release for the last two generations, so we're probably looking at mid-2019 at the earliest.

And maybe 2020 for the 'TI' who knows when! I am just guessing. I am sticking to my 1080 TI for another five years no point upgrade to the 1180/1180 TI for just 15- 20% faster then after one/two years time it will all change again. then we will have the same debate again for the 1280/1280 TI, IMO

Last edited:
Yes the graphic card is 4K but the Monitors/TV's are just UHD level can't change that. but at lease it's 4 times the graphic of a 1080p

Yes the graphic card is 4K but the Monitors/TV's are just UHD level can't change that. but at lease it's 4 times the graphic of a 1080p
I gotta tell ya man, I've read this 5 times and still don't understand what you are trying to say.

4K = UHD = 4x 1080P

I gotta tell ya man, I've read this 5 times and still don't understand what you are trying to say.

4K = UHD = 4x 1080P

About all I can get out of it is that he's possibly being nitpicky about 4K vs UHD. 4K is "techincally" 4096x2160, while UHD is 3840x2160.

4K = UHD = 4x 1080P

It's very easy to understand 4k is not UHD but 2160p is 4x the resolution of a full HD = 1080p go to the AVS forum this as always been a debate

About all I can get out of it is that he's possibly being nitpicky about 4K vs UHD. 4K is "techincally" 4096x2160, while UHD is 3840x2160.
4K vs UHD = 256 pixels less in a UHD and true 4k is not 4096x2160 it's 4096x2034

Last edited:
I have been trying to decide on whether to upgrade my 1080 to a 1080ti as well. After seeing some rumors that the 1180 may come out end of this year though, I think I want to wait.

Back