1080 Ti with Display Port and HDMI

guytanatz

n00b
I have display port connected to my monitor and about 10 feet away is my UHD TV. I'd like to run an HDMI cable from PC to the TV, is this possible? Am I just missing a setting in the control panel?

yes, should be, I don't have a 1080, but I got a 1070, has dp, hdmi, dvi ...run dp to dvi, dvi to dvi, and hdmi to tv

actually it has a few more ports then that, like...3 hdmi... dp, dvi... but ya

Last edited:
yes, should be, I don't have a 1080, but I got a 1070, has dp, hdmi, dvi ...run dp to dvi, dvi to dvi, and hdmi to tv

actually it has a few more ports then that, like...3 hdmi... dp, dvi... but ya

And it's just plug and play? I tried yesterday and my monitor kept flickering and crackling and nothing went to the HDMI.

bad cable maybe?
I use DP and HDMI on my GTX960, DP to my monitor and HDMI to my plasma TV.
you should hear windows make a tone when you plug in the HDMI cable, then look in Windows Display settings to set the resolution(if it didn't auto detect) and orientation of the TV.

yes, it should be able to detect it, and just work, I guess only reasons I could think it wouldn't, is if you are running a non standard resolution / forcing non standard resolution / framerate.... the TV's hdmi port not working properly, maybe tv isn't hdcp compatible (though I imagine that would just prevent videos and such from playing properly) or hdmi cable is bad.... maybe someone else cant shed some more enlightening information on this...

other then that I would say perhaps leave all the cables pluged in, tv on correct input, and then just uninstall, reinstall your graphics drivers (and personally I always recommend doing a custom install, and checking the box that says "perform clean install")

I've got a 1080TI with 3 DP and 1 HDMI. I've had no problems running both an HDMI and DP monitors. Actually, right now my HDMI port is being used by a VR headset without any issues.

Make sure the correct source is selected.
Reboot PC and see if the POST is displayed.

I bought a new cable, so apparently the first one was bad. DP connected to a G-sync monitor, all is fine. HDMI connected to a UHD TV mirrors the monitor and its resolution which is 1440p. Is there a way to have the monitor at 1440p and the TV connected through HDMI at 4k?

uhm, I'm not sure, might be some differences between the hdmi port spec, but assuming everything is correct, you should be able to just goto windows display settings, select the monitor you want at 1440, ensure its set at 1440, perhaps set that to make this main display, as its likely your computer monitor.... and then select the other monitor that shows up there, and set that to whatever res it supports...

I bought a new cable, so apparently the first one was bad. DP connected to a G-sync monitor, all is fine. HDMI connected to a UHD TV mirrors the monitor and its resolution which is 1440p. Is there a way to have the monitor at 1440p and the TV connected through HDMI at 4k?
If you mirror the displays, it will use the lowest res on both, you want to use extended desktop if you want individual resolutions.

If you mirror the displays, it will use the lowest res on both, you want to use extended desktop if you want individual resolutions.

Ok, but it is technically possible. I'm ashamed, I should have been able to figure it out myself but the faulty HDMI cable threw me off at first.

Back