1080 TI or 5700 XT?

Frostbite was one of the early supporters of AMD Mantle (which morphed into Vulkan and DX12). I'd be surprised if that engine were NOT well optimized for AMD uarch.
Sure but thats some serious optimization when a card jumps up a spot or two from where it usually sits.

For my 1080, it's a nice card. I have a 1050, and it's a very cool video card. So I think the 1080 will be a cool option for you

Can you clarify this? You say "my 1080" then follow up with "I have a 1050." So which is it? OP is looking at the 1080 Ti anyway. o_O

Reactions: Nenu
like this
OP made up his mind and bought a card several weeks ago. It doesn't really matter what Bob was trying to say anyways lol.

Congrats on the 5700 XT. I picked up a reference XFX 5700 when it was $288. Going to see how far I can get with flashing XT BIOS and undervolting. I was hoping the next AMD high end card would get announced/released in a few months and I could upgrade to that. If nothing happens in Oct, I might sell this and get a Red Devil 5700 XT if it goes on sale.

I so wanted a 5700 xt but sadly got a bad card so instead of trying another one I just returned it after trying everything I knew to get it to work. It would not allow me to install the drivers, just kept rebooting trying to figure out what card was there. Even windows did not read it as anything, just a standard windows driver would install. Ended up just getting a 2060 instead. I really wanted to give AMD a try even after reading about driver issues and heat and noise issues.

I went for the 1080Ti camp because I got a $400 deal on one (Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme, still got warranty), and it is faster than the 5700XT. I find the drivers working out better on my system at that.

Long term - 1080 ti. Short term card to tide you over for a few months it shouldn’t matter much.
Plus I assume the 1080ti is used a mostly through the depreciation cycle, a new 5700xt may depreciate more.

A friend of mine sold to me his 1 year MSI gtx 1080 ti gaming x for 415$. The card still has almost 2 years warranty and it wasn't abused at all. Very pleased. The card runs at almost 2000Mhz for the core on stock and with manual temp line never goes beyond 67 degrees C.

Thought to replace my old gigabyte gtx 980ti g1 after replacing my whole system, but couldn't resist. :)

Will go for 1080 ti everytime. AMD cards must be bought only after polishing their drivers cause brand new models always have software issues. Just my 5 cents.

Regards.

Last edited:
A friend of mine sold to me his 1 year MSI gtx 1080 ti gaming x for 415$. The card still has almost 2 years warranty and it wasn't abused at all. Very pleased. The card runs at 2000Mhz for the core on stock and with manual temp line never goes beyond 67 degrees C.

Thought to replace my old gigabyte gtx 980ti g1 after replacing my whole system, but couldn't resist. :)

Will go for 1080 ti everytime. AMD cards must be bought only after polishing their drivers cause brand new models always have software issues. Just my 5 cents.

Regards.
Great buy and glad that is working out for you. Between 1080Ti and 5700XT if it came right down I can keep one or the other -> 1080Ti would win out. Luckily I can keep both at this time. The 5700XT does really well with more DX12 coded games like RDR2, Vulkan titles but is memory bandwidth limited once you start increasing the GPU clocks or go to like 4K. The 1080Ti has more memory, more effective bandwidth and does much better at 4K where the 5700XT starts to choke. I have not seen too many 3440x1600 test results for the 5700XT. I may sell one my 1080Ti's because the next generation will be coming out and at 1440p the 5700XT does really well supporting my current Samsung monitor. Anyone doing Linux, the RTX features is factor right out of it, since so far Linus does not support, making the 1080Ti rather golden for that OS at this time, just another consideration.

Last edited:
1080ti is better in everyway expect for dx12 but it have more raw compute to fight the 2080 series. It is a halo card that shouldn't exist.

I would go 1080ti, too much going wrong with the amd drivers right now for my taste

Been kinda struggling with this myself. I wouldn't mind picking up a 5700XT to replace my Radeon VII. Minor step down in speed but better thermals with the aftermarket 5700 cards.

Lack of HDMI 2.1 is a bummer since VRR is supported in some of the latest TVs and so far only Nvidia has any compatibility with that. RE: Gsync and LG OLED displays

Would kinda prefer to stick with ATI if I can.
I’m assuming by”any compatibility” you mean the gsync support? I have the lg c9 and a 2080ti and hdmi 2.1 still isn’t NVIDIA supported and probably won’t be fully on the 2000 cards if it’s any kind of hardware change. ALSO the 1000 series Nvidia cards are not supported on the lg oled so no gsync there. BUT there are some DisplayPprt to HDMI 2.1 cables in development that hopefully will be all gum drops and ice cream.

Back