1080 or 1080TI

I have come to the decision i want to get a new GPU a 1080 or 1080TI an i want to get it from newegg please give me some idea of what im waiting to get? Money is not an issue but im not the kind of person that wants to buy fluff "as in the latest rgb latests greats fan blade angle ect" Thank you for all the logical input!

if money isnt a issue, the 1080ti is better, A fair amount better. I have the 1080 and love it but what resolution do you play? at 2560x1080 the 1080 is really nice. If you use more I would get the 1080ti

And since money is not an issue then I can assume you have a modern i7, 16 gb of ram and plan on playing at 1440p or better...

Yes screen an setup as a whole is up to date. Any brand over the other you recommend TI variant. Ive always used asus but track record isnt perfect an im willing to try anything if its an iprovment.

Considering 1080 Ti is ~ 35% faster than the 1080, more memory for longevity -> 1080 Ti. Really, the 1080 Ti is in a class of it's own.

Anyone have any brand input?

They are all pretty much benching the same so get what you can find at a good price, I sometimes wish I would have spent a little more on my 1080ti and went with an evga with the icx temp sensors... but my aorus is still bad ass with its ek waterblock I don't regret the purchase at all

Whither you want to now or not I would get a card that a waterblock is made for like a founders card, aorus, or strix so if you ever consider watercooling you can also get a block for your card.

Last edited:
I have come to the decision i want to get a new GPU a 1080 or 1080TI an i want to get it from newegg please give me some idea of what im waiting to get? Money is not an issue but im not the kind of person that wants to buy fluff "as in the latest rgb latests greats fan blade angle ect" Thank you for all the logical input!
Logic suggests you should supply enough info to get a useful response.
Not possible unless you state your requirements with specifics.
Its impossible to help without knowing what you want and how you intend to use it unless we provide info for a range of scenarios.
No effort in = no effort out.
help us to help you.

Logic suggests you should supply enough info to get a useful response.
Not possible unless you state your requirements with specifics.
Its impossible to help without knowing what you want and how you intend to use it unless we provide info for a range of scenarios.
No effort in = no effort out.
help us to help you.

The only info i have is (i want a 1080 or 1080TI. Is the price diff worth getting the TI over reg. Other then that i know nothing about the card or brands) What else do you need to know? I already know i dont "need" even a regular 1080 but its what i want.

The only info i have is (i want a 1080 or 1080TI. Is the price diff worth getting the TI over reg. Other then that i know nothing about the card or brands) What else do you need to know? I already know i dont "need" even a regular 1080 but its what i want.

If you just WANT a 1080 or 1080Ti, then get a 1080Ti. It's significantly faster, but not ridiculously expensive.

eVGA, MSI, ASUS and Gigabyte all make great cards at 1080Ti. They have good coolers that will be quieter and cooler than the standard edition (FE) 1080Ti. They're all good quality cards, and you'll likely see very little difference in performance or warranty service between any of them.

Go look at the cards, find one from those brands you like the look of, that fits in your price range, and buy it.

Unless you have very specific requirements that you can provide, there's not much else anyone will be able to recommend. There's really just not that much REAL difference between the aftermarket 1080Ti's.

For the 1080Ti, the brand doesn't really matter all that much. It's a high end card and they'll all perform pretty much the same. Go for whatever is cheapest and available.

For yall to tell me is the TI worth the price difference an the brand?!?

We can't tell you that without knowing your target resolution and refresh rate... the Ti is not worth it for 1080p nor standard 1440p @60fps IMO, but if you're targeting higher refresh rates, one could make a case for the Ti. 4k, buy a Ti.

If you want a generic fluff answer not based on facts or your specific setup, get an EVGA 1080Ti for the great warranty/customer support and call it a day.

If you stick to the major brands you are not really going to go wrong. I would simply buy the cheapest one you can find since they all perform the same basically as far as speed performance goes. The only difference is in their cooling abilities. Some do cool better than others. Generally speaking the models with 3 fans will provide better cooling than a single or two fan setup.. The problem with the 1080Tis IMO is that the damn things are rising in price every time I look at them. Pisses me off since I been wanting to get one myself. lol

For yall to tell me is the TI worth the price difference an the brand?!?

This is a bad time to upgrade.

Wait for Volta.

You're going to pay full price that's probably going to cost $300 less in 8 months time.

Save your money and get back on the "tick" track.

We can't help you if all you ask is "which card is more powerful for the money", it all depends on your rig.

Which for some strange reason, you refuse to answer....

This is a bad time to upgrade.

Wait for Volta.

You're going to pay full price that's probably going to cost $300 less in 8 months time.

Save your money and get back on the "tick" track.

300$ is a bit of a stretch, even if it isn't 8 months is a long time in this world.

Sorry for the offtopic question : i have the GTX 1080 and i'd like to upgrade to GTX 1080 Ti
What do you think, guys ? Better wait for the Volta ?
Thank you

Sorry for the offtopic question : i have the GTX 1080 and i'd like to upgrade to GTX 1080 Ti
What do you think, guys ? Better wait for the Volta ?
Thank you
Well, I guess it depends on what you are trying to do. What does a 1080 TI do for you that a GTX 1080 does not? Is it for 4k gaming? Depends on the game.. you may still be dipping under 60 FPS in many games. I would personally wait it out for Volta.

That being said the 1080 TI is a great series of cards with impressive performance over the 1080.

If money is not an issue and you don't want fluff then just get any high end 1080ti from one of the big names. You also might take a look at B&H photo instead of newegg.

Money is not an issue, i just want a better performance
I do play a lot of combat flight sim, and sometime PCars 2 and Assetto Corsa
Is the GTX 1080 Ti really 35 % better than 1080?
Or just marketing?
I could wait for Volta, but I guess they will be pretty expensive, twice the price of the GTX 1080 Ti
Thank you

I use the EVGA FTW3 1080 Ti and I love it. I did a ton of research before, and it was exactly what I wanted.

Money is not an issue, i just want a better performance
I do play a lot of combat flight sim, and sometime PCars 2 and Assetto Corsa
Or just marketing?
I could wait for Volta, but I guess they will be pretty expensive, twice the price of the GTX 1080 Ti
Thank you

only the titan that they come out with will be that much and it wont be double.

That is a rip anyways.

Or just marketing?

Yes, on average, the percentage will be more like 37% or better for most AAA grade games, the balance favoring the GTX 1080 Ti more as the resolution gets better (think 3440x1440 or 4K).
A small overclock on the GTX 1080 Ti should see you into close to the 50% range in a few cases.
Below are two example comparison links:

1. https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1940?vs=1939 (compares 1080 Founder's Edition to 1080 Ti Founder's Edition)
  2. https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_1080_Ti_SC2/31.html (compares a stock GTX 1080, and other cards, to a custom GTX 1080 Ti)
Just as the GTX 980 Ti was a massive jump in performance over the GTX 980, the GTX 1080 Ti is also a massive jump over the GTX 1080.

I went ahead and bought a 1080Ti. Got the Gigabyte Auros model. Not the extreme version though. Something will eventually come along and out perform it. It always happens. For 1440p gaming though it should last a long time. I usually skip a generation or two when it comes to GPUs so worrying about what comes next is something I don't typically do. Unless maybe its coming in 90 days or less. Then I pause and wait. I waited for AMD recently but they fell short so I went with the green team this time around.

All 1080Ti GPU cards basically perform the same. The differences in the various cards is cooling performance and noise. Some cool better and maybe a bit more quiet. If you are the type that wants really cooling performance and really low noise get the fancy 3 fan set ups that do that. Enthusiasts who want to wring every possible ounce of performance out of their 1080Ti will usually fall into this category as well. These cards tend to be more expensive however. If you dont care about all that then just get the cheapest 1080Ti you can find and save some money. That's generally how to look at the 1080Ti cards IMHO.

Edit: Some people are concerned about warranties and they will factor that into their buying decision as well. If you stick to the major brands I don't think you will need to worry about such things too much though.

Some GPUs do come overclocked from the factory but if you buy a basic card you can personally overclock it yourself. Some people dont like meddling in that so they buy a factory overclocked card. Also some already overclocked cards come with better cooling than the standard cards. Always compare the core clocks and the memory clocks of the various cards. This will tell you which is the basic clock speed and which are overclocked.

So, what would be the difference ( FPS / performance ) between a default and this OC model ?
4-5 % ? More ?
Thank you

Less.
Winning the silicon lottery gives the biggest benefit and thats around 5 to 7% total overclock difference.

Back