Raendor

Gawd
Hey guys, hoping to get some assessment or advice, especially from anybody with similar setup.

Here's the pic of my setup: http://imgur.com/a/BKT3a

uw7zrag.jpg

I've recently moved my system to non-windowed Define C (from R5) and got an EVGA 1080 FTW2 (instead of my triple-fan 2.5 slot Xtreme Gaming). However I'm starting to regret my decision (either of it) as I'm getting high gpu temps under high gaming load.

I have a Cryorig A80 280 aio installed at the front (cause it's the only spot to fit it) with PWM-fans working as an intake and one stock DC 120 fan as exhaust at 100% speed.

Pretty standard setup looking at other builds, for example at pcpartpicker, especially for this case.

However, under gaming load, with witcher 3 being the most taxing (hence the numbers for it), when OCed (Afterburner 100% voltage, 130 power, +60 on core and +300 mem) it can go as high as 84 C and at stock settings around 78-80 C.
My room temp at this time of the year is set to 78 F (26 C). At these temps fan is around 75% speed and it's already quite loud.

So I tried ramping up intake fans and it didn't seem to help much, neither did really putting the fans in pull configuration, shaving a degree or two at best.

I'm not sure why I'm getting such temps as the radiator should have much impact on temps and airflow based on latest youtube videos addressing myths about front-mounted rads. Also, my 6700k is delidded and stays pretty cool with 1.34 voltage.

My whole focus was on silence with this case, that's why top is closed. But ramping up fans kills the whole purpose of it and seems like doesn't help much either (will try full speed just out of interest, but it's gonna be loud as hell). And without the side panel it's much cooler obviously. Also, the part of the case above gpu backplate is quite cool even when the gpu gets toasty.

I would've liked to test the setup with air-cooled heatsink, but doesn't have one to see if it could improve the temps if I just put two fans as intake.

So, anything you can tell me in my situation? Wonder if that's the case airflow, or gpu is not great in terms of cooling either.

Last edited:
Well, considering your EVGA 1080 FTW2 is trying to cool with pre-heated air from your CPU CLC I'm not surprised it's running hot. You could try removing the unused PCIe slot covers and see if that helps. Doing this usually gives better front to back airflow .. and add a bottom intake to flow cool air to GPU. Set case up on some blocks so you have more space between case bottom and what it's setting on to improve airflow to bottom vent.

You need a case with more exhaust fans. All the air going into the case it already heated from the rad, then heat just builds up faster than it can be exhausted.

For silence you want more fans spinning at lower RPM on the exhaust side of things. You picked a bad case for the hardware you have. Either live with the hot temps or get a different case.

Well, considering your EVGA 1080 FTW2 is trying to cool with pre-heated air from your CPU CLC I'm not surprised it's running hot. You could try removing the unused PCIe slot covers and see if that helps. Doing this usually gives better front to back airflow .. and add a bottom intake to flow cool air to GPU. Set case up on some blocks so you have more space between case bottom and what it's setting on to improve airflow to bottom vent.

Bottom is a full shroud, so I can't really do anything about that. I've also read that the front radiator is not supposed to affect significantly the air within the case, but I might be wrong. It's just that I had a similar configuration in R5 (same rad at the front and one exhaust), but had quite lower temps.

If case has good intake fans exhaust fans become superfluous. Same as a good cooler fan does not need one on the back or radiator with good fans does not need push / pull.

Like I said, GPU needs cool air and more exhaust vent area way more than case needs more exhaust fans.

Bottom is a full shroud, so I can't really do anything about that. I've also read that the front radiator is not supposed to affect significantly the air within the case, but I might be wrong. It's just that I had a similar configuration in R5 (same rad at the front and one exhaust), but had quite lower temps.
I think there is a vent bigger than PSU approximately over PSU / under GPU. If this is true then a bottom intake would move air up through it to GPU.

I think there is a vent bigger than PSU approximately over PSU / under GPU. If this is true then a bottom intake would move air up through it to GPU.
Nope, the shroud covers PSU and then the drive cage. I'm starting to think whether I should drop the ball on aio and get a cpu air cooler and put two 140mm intake fans at the front. Regretting I sold my spare H5 Ultimate last year.

Last edited:
Nope, the shroud covers PSU and then the drive cage. I'm starting to think whether I should drop the ball on aio and get a cpu air cooler and put two 140mm intake fans at the front. Regretting I sold my spare H5 Ultimate last year.
The 280 CLC you have isn't much better at full speed than top tier air coolers are. H5 is good, but not as good as R1 or others. Thermalright Macho 140mm fan coolers, TRUE Spirit 140, NH-U14S, etc are all good air coolers and with a couple of good front intake fans you would be fine.

Last edited:
IThe 280 CLC you have isn't much better at full speed than top tier air coolers are. H5 is good, but not as good as R1 or others. Thermalright Macho 140mm fan coolers, TRUE Spirit 140, NH-U14S, etc are all good air coolers and with a couple of good front intake fans you would be fine.
I'm not using full speed though. It was usually on a standard pwm curve in UEFI. I was looking at Fractal Deesign Celcius S24 240mm AIO (to put at the top) and Venturi PWM fans (one 120 for exhaust and two 140 for intake). I like matching stuff and these seem to have nice reviews for reviewers and customers. Would that be an optimal setup?

Though on the other hand air is cheaper and I won't have to worry about pump giving out and won't have to take the moduvent off.

Hey guys, hoping to get some assessment or advice, especially from anybody with similar setup.

Here's the pic of my setup: http://imgur.com/a/BKT3a

uw7zrag.jpg

Reverse the direction on the lower fan. It'll be a compromise on the cpu cooling but in return will allow the gpu to feed on fresh air. I'd be curious to see the variation in cpu temp.

Reverse the direction on the lower fan. It'll be a compromise on the cpu cooling but in return will allow the gpu to feed on fresh air. I'd be curious to see the variation in cpu temp.
I already tried both fans as the exhaust through the front and that didn't help much to be honest :/

Then you need to get fresh air to the gpu. Might be time to cut an intake right there and run the rad in push exhaust mode, ie. move fans to otherside.

Then you need to get fresh air to the gpu. Might be time to cut an intake right there and run the rad in push exhaust mode, ie. move fans to otherside.
Too much hassle man :D I've decided to chane my cooling and get better fans. Not sure yet though if I want 240 aio to put on top or go with air cooler. In both cases it will be two 140 fans as intake.

So in terms f case fans, I'm looking at fractal's Venturi series. Will HP-14 serve as good front intake fans in that case?

View attachment 34167 The HP-14 PWM have 1.94mm H2O @ 1600rpm and are good, but HP-14 is only 0.95mm H2O @ 1200rpm. At same rpm as HP14 the HP-14 PWM has almost twice the static pressure rating, higher free airflow rating and is quieter as too.. This all means it will move a lot more air at same speed than HP14 will.
Here is chart comparing them. You can see how much better HP-14 PWM performs at same rpm as HP-14.

upload_2017-8-22_10-36-45.png

CoolingTechnique reveiw
http://www.coolingtechnique.com/rec...ne-fractal-venturi-serie-hf-e-hp.html?start=5

View attachment 34167 The HP-14 PWM have 1.94mm H2O @ 1600rpm and are good, but HP-14 is only 0.95mm H2O @ 1200rpm. At same rpm as HP14 the HP-14 PWM has almost twice the static pressure rating, higher free airflow rating and is quieter as too.. This all means it will move a lot more air at same speed than HP14 will.
Here is chart comparing them. You can see how much better HP-14 PWM performs at same rpm as HP-14.

View attachment 34168

CoolingTechnique reveiw
http://www.coolingtechnique.com/rec...ne-fractal-venturi-serie-hf-e-hp.html?start=5

Ok, I've ordered two HP-14 PWM for the intake and one HF-12 for the arflow as an exhaust fan. Also, ordered Thermalright True Spirit 140 Direct for a cpu cooling. Will see how the temps will be on a gpu after that.

So, I've replaced my cooler and fans, set up curves, but that didn't improve my gpu temps by much :/

New setup:

ltY08Wn.jpg

So, I've replaced my cooler and fans, set up curves, but that didn't improve my gpu temps by much :/

New setup:

ltY08Wn.jpg

Your issue is moving hot air out of your case. Add exhaust fans to the top.

Your issue is moving hot air out of your case. Add exhaust fans to the top.
That totally defeats the purpose of using this case and keeping the top moduvent in place then. And as I said, the temps above backplate are quite cool, so I'm not quite sure this would help much. Maybe will try a bit later just to see the impact.

That totally defeats the purpose of using this case and keeping the top moduvent in place then. And as I said, the temps above backplate are quite cool, so I'm not quite sure this would help much. Maybe will try a bit later just to see the impact.

What is the purpose of using that case if not to keep your components nice and cool? You can get some ultra quiet low RPM fans for the top and move a lot more air through the case which will help prevent stagnant hot air around the GPU.

What is the purpose of using that case if not to keep your components nice and cool? You can get some ultra quiet low RPM fans for the top and move a lot more air through the case which will help prevent stagnant hot air around the GPU.
Could it be somehow related to the thermal paste on a gpu?

What happened to that windowed R5 side panel :p
In all seriousness, an easy test would be removing the PCI slot covers. If your temps improve, then yes, exhaust is an issue.

However, that's really still treating the symptom - your card simply needs direct access to cool air. When Fractal jumped on the PSU shroud bandwagon, it removed one of its biggest advantages over most mainstream cases these days.

What happened to that windowed R5 side panel :p
In all seriousness, an easy test would be removing the PCI slot covers. If your temps improve, then yes, exhaust is an issue.

However, that's really still treating the symptom - your card simply needs direct access to cool air. When Fractal jumped on the PSU shroud bandwagon, it removed one of its biggest advantages over most mainstream cases these days.

Removing the slot cover may not change much. Just keep the side panel off, point a house fan into the case (if you have one) and check the GPU temps. If they are much better, the case needs more airflow.

Uh... Those temperatures look pretty normal to me for an overclocked graphics card on air cooling. o_O

Removing the slot cover may not change much. Just keep the side panel off, point a house fan into the case (if you have one) and check the GPU temps. If they are much better, the case needs more airflow.

I've played with the fan curve on the gpu to make it more aggressive and I have a bit better temps now, but yeah, when I take the side panel off, i get a decrease of something like 5-6 C at least. The conclusion is, just like Gamersnexus review pointed out, is that this case has higher temps when it especially comes to the gpu. Open top doesn't help at all, neither do those slot covers. At +60 gpu, + 300 mem and +25% voltage I get 2025 boost at 76-78 C and fans at 70% rpm. In all honesty, I still love this case though and witcher 3 is the worst in terms of temps from all the games and tests I did.

Thanks for the update.
That does rule out exhaust (which is why slot covers/open top weren't a benefit), but also reaffirms the lack of direct, cool air for the GPU.

Doesn't sound like you're at all interested in a mod, so sounds like you're just gonna cope then :p

Thanks for the update.
That does rule out exhaust (which is why slot covers/open top weren't a benefit), but also reaffirms the lack of direct, cool air for the GPU.

Doesn't sound like you're at all interested in a mod, so sounds like you're just gonna cope then :p

Yeah, I liked that case in terms of footprint and looks and sound dampening, so I wanted to keep the top closed and can't put anything on the bottom as I'm using the drive cage. It's just what it is I guess, not the best case when it comes to temps.

When i was using define C Mini (the MATX) it was only with a 1060 and an OC ryzen, but i had a 240 corsair h100i at the top because it was 240mm exhasting out the top with 2 140s in the front as cool intake and the rear 120 as exhast it was working pretty well, but granted it was the 1080, to be honest though 84 is not the end of the world when it comes to those GPUs. I would also agree with others and use the top as some low RPM exhast at least. I think you just need to cut back on the OC if you are worried about the temps, Either open the top add some fans to sacrifice some noise. Or just cut back on how much heat is in the case anyway. also shouldnt the fan on your CPU be blowing out the back over the VRMs?

When i was using define C Mini (the MATX) it was only with a 1060 and an OC ryzen, but i had a 240 corsair h100i at the top because it was 240mm exhasting out the top with 2 140s in the front as cool intake and the rear 120 as exhast it was working pretty well, but granted it was the 1080, to be honest though 84 is not the end of the world when it comes to those GPUs. I would also agree with others and use the top as some low RPM exhast at least. I think you just need to cut back on the OC if you are worried about the temps, Either open the top add some fans to sacrifice some noise. Or just cut back on how much heat is in the case anyway. also shouldnt the fan on your CPU be blowing out the back over the VRMs?
Well, now it's more around 78 at 70% rpm.

The cpu fan is blowing in the direction of the exhaust fan, yes, if that's what you're asking (I didn't quite get it, sorry :D)

I have a very similar setup. I have the Define R5 with a 1080FTW2, a 4770K. My CPU is under a Cryorig R1 Universal. I also see temps on the GPU under load around 80C all the time. Thats with (2) 140MM intake front , 1 Bottom 140MM Intake , 1 Side panel Exhaust 140MM, and 1 rear exhaut 140MM. I swapped thermal paste from stock to Arctic MX4, temps dropped 1 degree C, maybe coincedental , tried out some Cryonaut Grizzly paste, temps dropped 3-4C. I get a 3-5C drop by pulling the side panel off, but im in the same boat, I bought the case, card, and CPU cooler because I was tired of a noisy case. I came away from a system with a full loop in it because I was irritated with pump drone, and vibrations. My next move will be to find a card with 3 fans I think.

if you are not using the hard drive mounts in the "rack" could always remove the front portion of it and install fans into the floor so gives more incoming intake air. IMO fractal should have had the option to remove the entire shroud or sections of it moduvent style, this way here for "lean builds" could leave shroud in, and for higher end builds could remove portions of or completely.

for my build, it has raised harddrive/ssd temps by ~7c, cpu about same 2-3c at worse, gpu temps ~4c compared to many of the other cases I have owned BUT is much quieter and far less dust, so I suppose is a give and take situation.

I would have got the Phanteks Enthoo M one (competing same price bracket) BUT having to go out and buy more hard drive mounts or dealing with dust filtering that is not the greatest, am happy with this case for my build.
================================
===========
===

Phenom II 955 running 3.77Ghz 1.34-1.367v 2666 cpu-nb 1.23v MSI Radeon 7870 OC (usually running down clocked/volted compared to stock) 8gb 1866 running not at "full speed"
3x120mm front (2 Cougar FDB 9cfm models) the 1 stock fan in floor of front the other as exhaust and hyper 212+ p/p stock fans, my cpu and gpu are both using MX4 paste (better IMO than AS5 2-5c as I had tried both quite awhile back while still had a tube of AS5)

The only thing I really am not fond of this case, should have been a bit wider to accommodate wiring a bit easier and give more of a blanket of air for SSD reverse mobo side, more front to back dimensions cause trying to plug in sata cables is a major pain in the arse with this case, and the top modo vent should have been some kind of slide into channel design rather than clip on/push in style...when I got mine that top panel was warped a bit and made it not seat firmly so I run a chunk of black tape to seal it off..

Quite like the case, dust filtering is very very good, sound suppressing works well enough, and decent amount of room overall, though FD should have made a bit bigger all dimensions would have made a truly stellar case without being massively larger, taller as well because IMO the top of mobo to top of case is too tight and the bottom of case to top of shroud is again somewhat too tight (drive cage might have been better served to be more airflow freindly) would help to support airflow behind mobo tray keep SSD temps happy (though supposedly most are fine to the 70s anyways)
==============================
===========
===
Least it is built VERY well compared to many I have had over the years which were kind of flimsy or dust filtering that was crap let dust in anyways or something like Raven 3 which plastic was stupid hard but easy to snap as well.

Good thing your Nv card use fancy software/hardware tricks to throttle volts/heat or that same card likely would be running in the high 90+ instead of 80s...myself I have always sought to ensure never hit 70s or I turn fans up/look for a new case :D

Back