1080 a bad model name?

Rustynuts

[H]F Junkie
Yes, follows all their naming conventions, but I bet there will be noobs out there thinking they NEED this card just to get 1080p running! Just a thought. However it could be genius marketing to get people to overbuy when they don't need a 1080 card at all. Could have been called a 1440? 2160? GTX 4K?

I bet there will be noobs out there thinking they NEED this card just to get 1080p running! Just a thought. However it could be genius marketing to get people to overbuy when they don't need a 1080 card at all. Could have been called a 1440? 2160? GTX 4K?

Yes, I'm sure this was there plan all along....they only had to wait 10 years for it to come to fruition.

On this topic, I don't like the names this year. A 1080p flagship from Nvidia and the nightmarish heat monster 480 returning from the dead on AMD's side.

Eh, I guess it's kinda funny.

Those 1080p jokes are getting seriously old :D nvidias decision is simply that people know their GTX x80 naming scheme and if they came up with a new name like GTX 4K that would not be recognized as what it is for those who don't roam [H] all day or know anything about technical aspects or benchmarks of the GPU (i guess thats 90% of the market)

I vote GTX X1080XTX Platinum Edition HyperMemory Pro, or the GTXX1080XTXPEHMP for short.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
In all seriousness, it might be the first and only card that can truly max out damn near anything at 1080p, though. While it makes for a killer 1440 (and even 4K) card, it's the full-on master of 1080p.

I see your point but I don't think it's much of an issue of confusion for the people that buy this type of stuff.

It's a downright awful name. They should have gone with X80, or P80, or really anything else.

I'm glad they stuck with the xyz0 naming scheme. Makes discussing hardware much easier with my not as inclined friends. It shows good progression and keeps true to a moniker that's been in use for the life of most of these products. People still rocking with a 680, for example, will see quite a multi generational increase going to the 1080.

Not at all upset with the naming.

agreed that it's an awful name but noobs don't buy high end GPU's...the people that do know all the details before they buy

Well it's got you talking about the name hasn't it? Creating forum discussions, increasing exposure. Think about it properly instead of like an infant.

People still rocking with a 680, for example, will see quite a multi generational increase going to the 1080.

I can personally attest to this. Still gathering the parts for may new build and replace 3 680s with a single 1080 in my 6 year old x58 i7-980x system. Just an incredible leap even using such a dated CPU/MB platform. New top tier titles went from being barely playable at medium to lower settings on a single 1080P to crushing 3x 1080P Surround at maximum settings. Night and day. I feel I don't even need a new PC to game at the high end now just with this 1080 though I know the x58/i7-980 is holding back the 1080.

...I know the x58/i7-980 is holding back the 1080.

I'm still rocking an i7-980x as well (with my GTX 970 at 1920 x 1200) and don't feel held back at all...most games nowadays are GPU limited and I think a 6 core CPU is more then fine...I have zero interest in upgrading my CPU but am always looking to upgrade my GPU (thinking about a GTX 1070)

It's a downright awful name. They should have gone with X80, or P80, or really anything else.

Could be worse, could be like prescription drug names these days. All fluffy and impossible to remember.

Most named brands start off silly and fluffy. Radeon is a meaningless word. Geforce was terrible too, everybody pronounced it "gayforce". Heck, I still do, when I say it in my head.

Most named brands start off silly and fluffy. Radeon is a meaningless word. Geforce was terrible too, everybody pronounced it "gayforce". Heck, I still do, when I say it in my head.
What has become evident is that you have problems in your head rather than in reality.

some repressed feelings there schizo lol.

But yeah most brand names aren't that great.

I think it's only an issue if you're an idiot. Numbers are just numbers. Video card branding is so obtuse these days that they could name their new linup (in increasing performace) Geforce 929328389, Geforce Watermelon and Geforce 1 and it wouldn't make a difference to me.

P.S. Radeon still sounds like Radiator to me.

P.P.S. My cousin pronounced Geforce guh-force for years. He was at least 40 at the time.

Geforce was fine. Flight Sims were all the rage back when they first came out.

G-Force reminds me of "Battle... of... the... Planets!"
Cool cartoon when there wasnt much else on.

NB4 neckbeard elitist comes in and spouts off about how the 1080 is not enough for 1080p, as the ONLY way to experience any game is 144FPS locked DSR 4x absolute no-excuse maximum in-game settings except motion blur on Windows 7.

Yes. Because great products trump terrible names. But that doesn't make the names not terrible.

"1080" is a shitty term to search for for obvious reasons. A unique model name would be preferred.

It wrecks with people's brains which is why people don't like it I think 1,100 would of been better.

who gives a shit what it is called? nV could name it Blastmaster 5000 eXtreme Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Edition - Reloaded.

it literally would not matter (ok, maybe it would. i'd buy two if it was called that).

what matters is price/performance.

Vhj8x3G.jpg I like Bitchin fast 3D 2000 myself has a good ring to it :)

Back