1080@60 to 1440@144. (GPU and Display)

Westwood

[H]F Junkie
Looking to make the move forward. Might be a bit premature on this due to availability.

What recommendations for GPU and Display for 1440@144? Keeping it under $1000. Pretty set on a 6800/6800XT. I don't know the first thing about monitors. I run some eight year old Acers I bought for like $120.

Also, I run three monitors. A "main" one dead center, and one on each side. There's no reason I can just keep the two on the sides at 1080 and the center at 1440, is there?

No rush on this. If I have to wait until Spring, that's totally fine.

Thanks.

I've heard only good things about the LG 27GL850. I do not have one myself though. I'm fine with 1080/144hz.

No problem with 2 1080s@ 60 and a 1440@144, except for the difference in size and the asymmetry ;D

Go for it. No problem at all.

Mismatched monitors don't bother me unless I'm trying to run games in surround/Eyefinity mode. It's been a while, but I did that for a while a couple times. Skyrim on 3x 27" 1440p screens running off a pair of GTX 680 4GB cards in SLI was pretty glorious. Then my vid cards got old, one of my cheap Auria monitors died, and I was back to 2 screens.

For work I actually like them mismatched. I run a 43" 4k screen in the middle and a 24" 1920x1200 in portrait mode as a side screen. I'd set up 2 side screens but that would involve desk setup changes and getting work to buy me a new laptop to make it work properly. When I had the 3x 27" setup the outer part of the side screens required turning my head a little too far and didn't see a lot of use. I don't think I'd recommend a 43" 4k for gaming over an ultrawide, but my setup is mixed use and the big 4k is awesome for work.

As for specific screens I don't know what to tell you. I'm not into fast paced games (a first person RPG like Skyrim or a solo adventure game like Tomb Raider is generally about as twitchy as I get) so I don't pay up for high refresh screens. My 43" 4k screen is a Dell that runs at 60Hz. It cost ~$700 when I got it a year ago.

The one suggestion I'd make is get the video card first unless you're looking for more screen space for non-gaming purposes or already have a vid card to drive a high refresh 1440p screen. You have a surround/eyefinity capable screen setup. If you're using this setup for a work from home job and want a bigger center for work just do it. On the other hand if gaming is driving this entire upgrade I'd get the card first and see how you like the surround/eyefinity setup. I know I said an ultrawide would be good, but 2 of your existing screens plus a 144Hz 1080p in the middle would be much cheaper. Keep the third one in case one of them croaks. Then you can drop to 1 screen for the fast paced, competitive stuff and span across 3 for slower paced titles. I don't know if you'll like that setup but unless you have a reason to buy a new screen before a new vid card I'd get the vid card first, try the surround/eyefinity thing, and then decide.

Go for it. No problem at all.

Mismatched monitors don't bother me unless I'm trying to run games in surround/Eyefinity mode. It's been a while, but I did that for a while a couple times. Skyrim on 3x 27" 1440p screens running off a pair of GTX 680 4GB cards in SLI was pretty glorious. Then my vid cards got old, one of my cheap Auria monitors died, and I was back to 2 screens.

For work I actually like them mismatched. I run a 43" 4k screen in the middle and a 24" 1920x1200 in portrait mode as a side screen. I'd set up 2 side screens but that would involve desk setup changes and getting work to buy me a new laptop to make it work properly. When I had the 3x 27" setup the outer part of the side screens required turning my head a little too far and didn't see a lot of use. I don't think I'd recommend a 43" 4k for gaming over an ultrawide, but my setup is mixed use and the big 4k is awesome for work.

As for specific screens I don't know what to tell you. I'm not into fast paced games (a first person RPG like Skyrim or a solo adventure game like Tomb Raider is generally about as twitchy as I get) so I don't pay up for high refresh screens. My 43" 4k screen is a Dell that runs at 60Hz. It cost ~$700 when I got it a year ago.

The one suggestion I'd make is get the video card first unless you're looking for more screen space for non-gaming purposes or already have a vid card to drive a high refresh 1440p screen. You have a surround/eyefinity capable screen setup. If you're using this setup for a work from home job and want a bigger center for work just do it. On the other hand if gaming is driving this entire upgrade I'd get the card first and see how you like the surround/eyefinity setup. I know I said an ultrawide would be good, but 2 of your existing screens plus a 144Hz 1080p in the middle would be much cheaper. Keep the third one in case one of them croaks. Then you can drop to 1 screen for the fast paced, competitive stuff and span across 3 for slower paced titles. I don't know if you'll like that setup but unless you have a reason to buy a new screen before a new vid card I'd get the vid card first, try the surround/eyefinity thing, and then decide.
Good help.

I game on one monitor and the other two are just utility. Browser and a movie maybe. In Path of Exile I'll have POB up, a trade screen, and the game in the center.

Don't want anything gigantic either. I tried a TV screen for a few days, and I had to keep rotating my head left and right to see everything. It was too much.

I got sucked back into World of Warcraft, but I tend to phase out of that and pick up Path of Exile for a partial league. I like MP-FPS games, but I suck so bad at them its not good for my health. XD

And yes, I'm not making any monitor purchases until I get a GPU.

First thing would be mapping the types of games you play to panel specs.
I was on TN panels 180hz+ 1080p for competitive mp, but a Dell 2716dgr totally changed my mind.
I’d look at whatever their current 27” 1440p gaming offerings are when you’re ready.
Dell tends to be fast, accurate, and color is good for a TN panel.

My Asus 180hz ROG panel was fine, colors sucked, 1440p is better for viewable play area.

I’ve been on an Acer 271hu for a while, at the time LG wasn’t pushing gaming spec ips panels.
I’d look at either vendor, and keep an ear open on Gigabyte feedback bc they’re pushing into the gaming panel market.
CS is everything if knock on wood you should have a problem.

If graphical quality is your thing HDR10 performance is a metric I’d focus on.

Back