Votes: 4 1.8%
  • 980/970/960 etc. -> 1080 Ti

Votes: 32 14.3%
  • Other nVidia -> 1080 Ti

Votes: 19 8.5%
  • Waiting on vega

Votes: 56 25.1%

• Total voters
For 4K I am going to do a step-up from a 1080 to the 1080 Ti (Thanks EVGA and their iCX program resetting the step-up window!!!!).

If I didn't have the step-up option the 15 or 20% (yes, a guess) increase in performance would not entice me to upgrade.

Where did the waiting on Volta option go? :) If the 1080ti is merely a cut down Titan X I likely won't bother tbh. It comes out too late IMO, rather wait for next gen at this point. Unless Mass Effect can make my 980 ti scream but I doubt it...

Well there's also that 4k 144hz g-sync HDR monitor coming out that will certainly push me to upgrade but it's not here yet :D

Sticking to 1440p with g-sync for years to go (4k gaming monitors will be way too expensive for a long time), so not planning till something great arrives and my 1080 won't deliver. To be honest games are more lame and lame in recent years. I might just give up on high-end hardware in the future and just get the mainstream stuff only. Which actually provides about the same quality for significantly less in 99% cases, (e.g. some unlocked i5 + 1070 vs unlocked i7 + 1080).

Sticking to 1440p with g-sync for years to go (4k gaming monitors will be way too expensive for a long time), so not planning till something great arrives and my 1080 won't deliver. To be honest games are more lame and lame in recent years. I might just give up on high-end hardware in the future and just get the mainstream stuff only. Which actually provides about the same quality for significantly less in 99% cases, (e.g. some unlocked i5 + 1070 vs unlocked i7 + 1080).

I totally agree with you. I've been having a really hard time getting into gaming recently.

I picked up a 1080 at launch. I upgraded from a 970. I'll wait for Volta or whatever AMD's doing at the time.

I'm more interested in better monitor tech at the moment.

I'll probably go from a 1080 to a Ti but just because I still have a few days left in my step-up window. I'm more than satisfied with the 1080@1440p but why not, if the difference in $ for me isn't high.

I've got a 980 Ti and I'm on the fence. It runs everything really nicely at 1440p at the moment and less graphic intensive games ok in 4K. With 4K 144 Hz displays only coming late this year and more likely properly next year, I am considering skipping the Ti and waiting for Volta. If more games start supporting checkerboard rendering and variable resolution or different resolutions for center of screen and sides then getting what will most likely be a hideously expensive card doesn't seem to be that good an idea.

Nah. I'm staying in the x70 range. Keeping power/heat/noise/cost under control.

Though what we've got right now in that range is still pushing it for VR, so I'll probably get the x70 card some time after Volta launches (waiting for a half-decent game bundle and better aftermarket coolers, as I did with the 1070)

I have a Maxwell Titan X under water running well at 1450 MHz. Seems like a 1080 Ti would be a step up. I'm considering replacing my 1440p, 144Hz monitor with a 4k TV. (I just have no interest in sub 40" 4k.) It's unclear to me how much of a step up that would be and if I'd hate my life moving from 1440p@144 to 4k@60. Thoughts?

I have a Maxwell Titan X under water running well at 1450 MHz. Seems like a 1080 Ti would be a step up. I'm considering replacing my 1440p, 144Hz monitor with a 4k TV. (I just have no interest in sub 40" 4k.) It's unclear to me how much of a step up that would be and if I'd hate my life moving from 1440p@144 to 4k@60. Thoughts?

I'd certainly not trade 1440p 144Hz (especially with gsync if that's your case) for 4k@60.

I'm fine with my 1080. I'll wait and see what 2018 has to offer before considering a GPU upgrade.

Simple question.
Could be simpler :p
Many options to answer the thread title are missing, couldnt vote.

Most likely not upgrading.
I would have if it came out 1/2 a year earlier but now its a lot closer to next gen NVidia release and I've had the time to see that my 980ti is still no slouch.
They missed a trick imo.

was originally planning on upgrading my 970 to a 1080 or 1070 once the 1080ti is released but after seeing the system requirements for Mass Effect Andromeda (GTX 1060 recommended) I might just stick with my 970 until Volta...no other GPU intensive games look to be coming out anytime soon

If I can get my hands on one probably for better single card 4k performance. Normally I would just SLI up but seems like more issues lately with non compatible games and such. I was always an SLI fan too... for the longest time.

was originally planning on upgrading my 970 to a 1080 or 1070 once the 1080ti is released but after seeing the system requirements for Mass Effect Andromeda (GTX 1060 recommended) I might just stick with my 970 until Volta...no other GPU intensive games look to be coming out anytime soon

This is where I am at, maybe Vega will be good or drive the prices down. Really the only thing that bothers me about the 970 is the 3.5GBs of ram becoming more of a limit.

Waiting for
matador_ninjalover_by_matador_ninjalover.gif

im on the 980 TI now and looking for a single card solution that runs everything on ultra 4k@60. If the Ti doesn't deliver i might go back to SLI, but really dont wanna deal with it. If Nvidia doesn't bring it with this card, im considering just ditching and see what AMD has to offer. Im tired of paltry updates.... Then again most games are total fucking trash anyways and i play more old school games.

im on the 980 TI now and looking for a single card solution that runs everything on ultra 4k@60. If the Ti doesn't deliver i might go back to SLI, but really dont wanna deal with it. If Nvidia doesn't bring it with this card, im considering just ditching and see what AMD has to offer. Im tired of paltry updates.... Then again most games are total fucking trash anyways and i play more old school games.

Just check out the Titan X Pascal. 1080ti will be in a few % of that no doubt. I imagine it could do most games at ultra and drop to high for a few.

If that's not satisfactory AMD definitely won't be.

Last edited:
Just check out the Titan X Pascal. 1080ti will be in a few % of that no doubt. I imagine it could do most games at ultra and drop to high for a few.

If that's not satisfactory AMD definitely won't be.
not for nearly 1600 bucks.

Lots of results waiting on Vega and I have to wonder why? Do they really think AMD will pull off something special? For 1080 users, moving to 1080 Ti would be completely pointless as you'd probably see 10-15% performance gains at best.

Lots of results waiting on Vega and I have to wonder why? Do they really think AMD will pull off something special? For 1080 users, moving to 1080 Ti would be completely pointless as you'd probably see 10-15% performance gains at best.
If the 1080 Ti seems overpriced then it either means Nvidia is waiting for Vega to issue a price cut, or they know Vega is a flop (GTX 1080 territory) and aren't worried about it.
I'll make my decision once I see the specs and price. Also depends what AMD shows off next week.

If the 1080 Ti seems overpriced then it either means Nvidia is waiting for Vega to issue a price cut, or they know Vega is a flop (GTX 1080 territory) and aren't worried about it.
I'll make my decision once I see the specs and price. Also depends what AMD shows off next week.

I suppose waiting for a price drop is something but I really doubt 1080 Ti will be 1000 dollars like some people think. Titan X early tax was worth it this time around, it got plenty of time at the top so a 799 1080 Ti seems realistic to me.

Waiting for
matador_ninjalover_by_matador_ninjalover.gif

I didn't know there was a video card coming out named Balrog?

My personal plan was to sell the 1070 while I could still get money for it and move to a 1080Ti. Although its looking more and more like I'm just going to be picking up a Ryzen 5 CPU this year.

Back