10700KF on B460?

M76

[H]F Junkie
Can I do that? Or will it bottleneck the CPU in any way?

I need the maximal clock frequency for CAD work, but I don't want to pay the extra for the Z490 board.
Obviously I do not want to OC.

Everyone either gets 10700 non-K or goes Z490 so there is not much experience with this that I could find.

It will not realy bottleneck the CPU but you lose the ability to overclock which is in part why you buy an unlocked CPU, you are also stuck in regards to memory speeds if that should matter for your usecase.

If you are ok with the more limited IO and the above it should work just fine

You can but won't be able to run RAM faster than 2933.

If you run memory intensive work, you'll want some fast RAM too.

Not sure if CAD can take good advantage of this.

Do note that if you get a board with a crappy VRM (be it a Z490 or a B460), it will throttle your CPU when doing sustained workloads.

You can but won't be able to run RAM faster than 2933.

If you run memory intensive work, you'll want some fast RAM too.

Not sure if CAD can take good advantage of this.

Do note that if you get a board with a crappy VRM (be it a Z490 or a B460), it will throttle your CPU when doing sustained workloads.

I think the board will self throttle the CPU based on the stock boost algorithm before the VRM throttles the CPU.

Can I do that? Or will it bottleneck the CPU in any way?

I need the maximal clock frequency for CAD work, but I don't want to pay the extra for the Z490 board.
Obviously I do not want to OC.

Everyone either gets 10700 non-K or goes Z490 so there is not much experience with this that I could find.

If you don't want to pay extra for the Z490 board, then why pay extra for the KF? Honestly, I think you'd be better off performance wise with the Z490/10700 combo over a B460/10700KF combo as you could tweak the boost to give you longer sustained boosts (you can do that on some B460 board also, but it is hit and miss and the limits aren't as high). I'm not sure what the stock all-core turbo is on the 10700KF, but it will rarely see the stated 5.1Ghz. I would guess 4.8. My stock 10700 would be 4.6Ghz all core boost but I could also adjust the turbo limits to allow for essentially an indefinite boost at 4.6. I think you'd only get 4.8Ghz on a B460 for whatever the stock "tau" value is.

If you don't want to pay extra for the Z490 board, then why pay extra for the KF? Honestly, I think you'd be better off performance wise with the Z490/10700 combo over a B460/10700KF combo as you could tweak the boost to give you longer sustained boosts (you can do that on some B460 board also, but it is hit and miss and the limits aren't as high). I'm not sure what the stock all-core turbo is on the 10700KF, but it will rarely see the stated 5.1Ghz. I would guess 4.8. My stock 10700 would be 4.6Ghz all core boost but I could also adjust the turbo limits to allow for essentially an indefinite boost at 4.6. I think you'd only get 4.8Ghz on a B460 for whatever the stock "tau" value is.
I don't really care about all core boost, I care about one max two threaded performance.

I don't really care about all core boost, I care about one max two threaded performance.

The "bottleneck" of the B460 is the inability to adjust boost parameters (boost duration and power) on most boards and the memory speed limits.

If you don't adjust any boost parameters, the B460 and Z490 boards should perform identically.

The "bottleneck" of the B460 is the inability to adjust boost parameters (boost duration and power) on most boards and the memory speed limits.

If you don't adjust any boost parameters, the B460 and Z490 boards should perform identically.
OK, thanks.
I only included it as an absolute overkill option in my workstation upgrade recommendation at work, my first choice is the I3-10320 for the task. I didn't expect the money men to even look at the 10700KF configuration due to the extra cost, but the dumb bastards are actually considering it. So I'm just covering my bases that it will actually work correctly in a lower end B460 board.

OK, thanks.
I only included it as an absolute overkill option in my workstation upgrade recommendation at work, my first choice is the I3-10320 for the task. I didn't expect the money men to even look at the 10700KF configuration due to the extra cost, but the dumb bastards are actually considering it. So I'm just covering my bases that it will actually work correctly in a lower end B460 board.

This is what I've dealt with ad nauseum architecting virtualization clusters.
They ways buy the resources up 1 tier more than we need, and always started the resources to balance the existing loads.

If the workload called for 2 thread high frequencies, I'd have shot the moon at 10600k.
Then spread the storage to 1 larger/faster nvme drive + added a large ssd for local warmish storage.
I probably would have 2x ram.
I might have bumped gpu.

I dislike people that want to hobble resources bc they've got personality defects, so the whole sheet is +1 so I can realize "less" but achieve more.

Back