10700k to 11900k?

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a 10700k cpu. I also have a gigabyte vision g board that is wired with PCIe 4 lanes. I was thinking of getting a 11900k cpu so I can use PCIe 4. My board even has a reserved pcie4 m2 slot.

Would you guys do this? Or should I just hang onto the 10700k? I'd really like to take advantage of PCIe4 and nvme drive with MS direct storage api coming soon.

Thoughts?

Gains will be pretty minimal I think... Same core/thread count, similar clocks. Regarding PCIe 4 for SSD, a good PCIe 3 disk is going to perform very similarly to a good PCIe 4 disk in most situations.

Reactions: Nenu
like this
Do you need the storage bandwidth that Gen4 provides over Gen3? Not really meaningful for a typical gaming/workstation environment. Editing large video files is usually the only use case that benfits from a Gen4 drive ATM.

PCIe 4 gives you faster max transfer rate but only if what you are copying from and to are both capable of that speed.
If one of them isnt fast enough, you will remain at that speed (ie no benefit)
Game load times will hardly benefit compared to PCIe 3 SSDs.
What we really need are SSDs with faster 4K transfers, any mobo/cpu will benefit from that.

I have a 10700K and have no intention of changing it, its overkill for most things anyway.
I'm waiting for DDR5 to become the norm before I change anything.

Gains will be pretty minimal I think... Same core/thread count, similar clocks. Regarding PCIe 4 for SSD, a good PCIe 3 disk is going to perform very similarly to a good PCIe 4 disk in most situations.
Isn't this supposed to be a new arch from intel intended for 10nm , that got backported to 14nm? The early leak looked promising for gaming (though it was just an ashes leak), it may be worth the upgrade if there is a good enough ipc uptick, plus gaining the ability to use pci-e 4.0 nvme drives.

Yeah I am going to get the new cpu. If you work hard at something, you deserve what that produces. In every sense.

Isn't this supposed to be a new arch from intel intended for 10nm , that got backported to 14nm? The early leak looked promising for gaming (though it was just an ashes leak), it may be worth the upgrade if there is a good enough ipc uptick, plus gaining the ability to use pci-e 4.0 nvme drives.
yep, new arch ("Sunny Cove" I think?), 10-15% IPC uplift is what I'm hearing. Doesn't seem like much to me comparing to 10th-gen, but looks like OP wants to go for it and it's his money!

Well I might not. I don't know what I'm going to do I just thought it would be nice to have pcie4. As long as I could sell my 10700k CPU for decent and make some money back I don't mind upgrading.

I'll be upgrading my 10400 in my back up PC at some point, and I have the Vision G board as well so I plan on getting a new generation cpu when they come out.

If there's a need, upgrade it. When you do upgrade it, do it towards the end of 2021 so you can get some decent discount and a good run with your 10700k. Unless everything you are doing right now are being capped, I don't see the need to rush.

Back