10700k running at 3.2-4ghz in task manager. CPU-Z reports correct mhz though. Why?

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys. I just noticed that in windows task manager. On the cpu screen. My speed is going anywhere from 3.2 to 4k mhz. It is not staying pegged at 4700mhz that CPUZ is reporting.

Is there a reason why? Shouldn't my processor stay at a minimum 4.7k mhz in task manager? Why is the cpu speed bouncing up and down there but pegged pretty solid in cpuz?

My power profile is high performance. I am not sure what's going on.

Thanks.

Is that with apps running in the background to make it boost up to that speed? Does CPUZ show your processor at 4.7 ghz constantly because it shouldn’t.

I thought if I set my power profile to high perf, it should do that. Yes. Cpuz shows my cpu at 4.7 constantly. Tiny changes here and there but pretty much at 4.7. Why should cpuz show anything less than 4.7 if I have my power profile set to high perf?

I've often noticed this with the Windows 10 task manager as well.....the CPU speeds displayed don't match CPU-Z. As an example here is my relic running Prime95.................
Untitled.jpg

I thought if I set my power profile to high perf, it should do that. Yes. Cpuz shows my cpu at 4.7 constantly. Tiny changes here and there but pretty much at 4.7. Why should cpuz show anything less than 4.7 if I have my power profile set to high perf?

Well I just tested it on my system and I was under the impression it wouldn’t peg at max boost clock without applications running with just high performance enabled but I was wrong. Both CPUZ and task manager are showing 100% boost clocks on my system so something odd is definitely going on with yours.

Yeah. In cpuz I noticed the clock speed drops to 800mhz also for some reason. Really quickly then goes back to 4700 4800mhz.

I looked up online and apparently windows task manager is notoriously bad for reporting the correct speed. Not sure if there is something wrong with my system. But the speed dropping to 800mhz could be power management no? This is a 10700k and Asus 490-A prime board.

Yeah. In cpuz I noticed the clock speed drops to 800mhz also for some reason. Really quickly then goes back to 4700 4800mhz.

I looked up online and apparently windows task manager is notoriously bad for reporting the correct speed. Not sure if there is something wrong with my system. But the speed dropping to 800mhz could be power management no? This is a 10700k and Asus 490-A prime board.
Dropping to 800MHz is just power management on a recent-ish Intel chip unless you turned it off. My old Sandy Bridge E i7-3820 (launched 9 years ago) drops down to 1200.

Just from eyeballing it on my old i7-3820 machine and comparing to Intel XTU it looks like CPU-Z is providing instantaneous readings. I'm not sure what task manager does. It looks like it might be averaging all cores over time. It looks like Intel XTU averages over an interval for each core. None of the three match at idle. XTU reports lower clocks than CPUz. Then if I load up all the cores my 3820 ends up at 3.80 on all cores and stays there with no apparent momentary speed drops. CPU-Z and XTU agree about that. Task manager reports 3.78GHz just to annoy me.

What chips are you running, aside from jarablue's 10700k? Are they overclocked?

I just tried switching between balanced and high performance on a couple of my machines and got very different results. Neither machine is overclocked. On my old i7-3820 setting it to high performance mostly pegs all the cores at around 3.8GHz at idle in CPU-Z but they drop down to idle speed occasionally, about 1200MHz on that chip. On my 10980 setting the Windows power profile to high performance doesn't appear to do anything to clock speeds. It might do something (hard to tell with 18 cores), but most of the cores are still hanging out at well under 3GHz. I also can't set the minimum and maximum processor states in advanced settings on the machine with the newer chip.

Back