1070 vs RX 480 for HTPC?

WetMacula

Gawd
Got an itch to upgrade my 1080P DLP LED TV to a 2016 LG OLED. Requires a new AVR and video card with HDMI 2.0a. I need all three components to support 4K, 4:4:4, 60 Hz, and HDR (both formats). Don't have any experience with AMD cards but the $200 +/- price is tempting compared to $450.

I usually run 1080p rips with DTS HD MA or full BR rips (with the new TV). I believe the only way to get HDR now is with streaming or a disc.

All media is played on Windows 10 LTSB using ZoomPlayer, LAV, and MadVR. Plan on doubling 1080p to 4K in MadVR using nnedi3 vs super-xbr. Don't think nnedi3 is an option with AMD. Realize it's a week or two early but what card would you pick? Will both cards support 4K 4:4:4, 60 Hz, HDR10/DV, DTS-X, atmos, and dts-hd?

There is no way to get HDR from an HTPC right now, or really 4k video in general.

There are stolen rips out on torrent sites, but it's illegal, and i believe the consensus is they are upscaled blu-rays. I wouldn't worry about 4k on an htpc for a while, stick to UHD blurays, they appear to be the only real option for the long foreseeable future. Cracking macs 2.0 will take a very long time.

Still want the hardware to support it. $1000 for an AVR, 200-500 for a GPU, and 3000-6000 for a 2016 OLED. Don't want to do this again in 1-3 years.

touche, i don't know what kind of additional video processing you will do, but aside from gaming a 480 should play vanilla 4k files if they ever exist.

I think a 960 or higher is required for HDMI 2.0a. I have a separate machine for gaming. My HTPC needs a beefy GPU for MadVR video rendering (doubling 1080p in the future). Will be interesting to see which card performs better at this task.

Just discovered HDMI 2.0 only supports 4K 8 bit 4:4:4 at 60 Hz. Sucks. The TV supports 10 bit color.

HDMI :: Manufacturer :: HDMI 2.0 :: FAQ for HDMI 2.0

950/960 GTX will get you HDMI 2.0, but not 2.0a. If I recall, even the new 10xx cards do not support 2.0a (yet at least). I could be wrong.

According to the GeForce page, the 1070 supports DP 1.43, HDMI 2.0b, Dual Link-DVI, and HDCP 2.2. Problem is receivers and TV's are stuck at 2.0a with no DP. Can't run 10 bit color, 4:4:4, at 60 Hz with HDMI 2.0x. Not sure what the exact difference between A and B is. Wish these morons would agree on a standard that provides enough bandwidth for the next 5 years. I'm sure HDCP is the root of the problem.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/
What are the key advanced features enabled by HDMI 2.0b?

• Enables transmission of High Dynamic Range (HDR) video
  • Bandwidth up to 18Gbps
  • 4K@50/60 (2160p), which is 4 times the clarity of 1080p/60 video resolution
  • Up to 32 audio channels for a multi-dimensional immersive audio experience
  • Up to 1536kHz audio sample frequency for the highest audio fidelity
  • Simultaneous delivery of dual video streams to multiple users on the same screen
  • Simultaneous delivery of multi-stream audio to multiple users (Up to 4)
  • Support for the wide angle theatrical 21:9 video aspect ratio
  • Dynamic synchronization of video and audio streams
  • CEC extensions provide more expanded command and control of consumer electronics devices through a single control point
HDMI 2.0b does not define new cables or new connectors. Current High Speed cables (Category 2 cables) are capable of carrying the increased bandwidth.

There is no way to get HDR from an HTPC right now, or really 4k video in general.

There are stolen rips out on torrent sites, but it's illegal, and i believe the consensus is they are upscaled blu-rays. I wouldn't worry about 4k on an htpc for a while, stick to UHD blurays, they appear to be the only real option for the long foreseeable future. Cracking macs 2.0 will take a very long time.

Youtube on PC supports 4k, and those rips you referenced are not upscaled, per se - they are 1:1 copies of 4k source material from Netflix, Amazon, etc and are made by downgrading the newer HDCP through a dongle like the new HDFury or other chinese competitors.

Yes their total bit rate is probably not comprable to true UHDBlu, but they arent upscaled (well, at least not by someone after the original source)

Youtube on PC supports 4k, and those rips you referenced are not upscaled, per se - they are 1:1 copies of 4k source material from Netflix, Amazon, etc and are made by downgrading the newer HDCP through a dongle like the new HDFury or other chinese competitors.

Yes their total bit rate is probably not comprable to true UHDBlu, but they arent upscaled (well, at least not by someone after the original source)

They are hdmi 4K captures of the UHD blurays. The difference is meh when you look at the screenshots.

They are hdmi 4K captures of the UHD blurays. The difference is meh when you look at the screenshots.

Some of them may be, but there are very few UHDs on the market - Most of the stuff in the 2160p listings on the sharing sites are things like Netflix's 4k shows and movies not yet released on UHD, so they prolly came from ripping UltraFlix or other 4k services. I guess the dongle would work with the few UHD players and discs on the market, but I'm not picking up a player or a dongle or anything until later on this year or next ...

Dude streaming material hardly keeps up with a good 1080p bluray. Even Linus from LTT had the same comment when using an OLed.

Blurays average 30MBPS in bitrate video and HD audio added another 6MBPS.

Really you are only looking at upgrading your card should HDR and 4K start being more mainstream. Or look at getting he new panny with a DisplayPort, since that's the only way that will happen in today's tech.

Well, the RX480 is apparently a turkey at madVR. It's no more powerful than a GTX 1060 despite having 50% more FLOPS. It's ~ 20% faster than a GTX 970 in madVR. But so is the GTX 1060. :confused:

Prior generation cards seemed to pretty closely follow FLOPS. Like the GTX 960 was about 10% faster than the R7 260x and it has about 10% more FLOPS.

Got an itch to upgrade my 1080P DLP LED TV to a 2016 LG OLED. Requires a new AVR and video card with HDMI 2.0a. I need all three components to support 4K, 4:4:4, 60 Hz, and HDR (both formats). Don't have any experience with AMD cards but the $200 +/- price is tempting compared to $450.

I usually run 1080p rips with DTS HD MA or full BR rips (with the new TV). I believe the only way to get HDR now is with streaming or a disc.

All media is played on Windows 10 LTSB using ZoomPlayer, LAV, and MadVR. Plan on doubling 1080p to 4K in MadVR using nnedi3 vs super-xbr. Don't think nnedi3 is an option with AMD. Realize it's a week or two early but what card would you pick? Will both cards support 4K 4:4:4, 60 Hz, HDR10/DV, DTS-X, atmos, and dts-hd?

I don't have any experience with madVR but if its just between the RX480 and GTX 1070. If you were planning on doing any serious gaming then I would lean towards the 1070 over the 480. But I'm considering getting an RX460 or 470 for my HTPC since I've been doing less gaming on my HTPC. If the card supports HDMI 2.0b, HDCP 2.2, in theory it should be good to go for HDR @ 10bit color.

At the moment there doesn't seem to be any bluray playback software yet. But I can't see it being not being supported in the near future.

Not yet. Most of my collection is 1080p rips and they look stunning compared to my old DLP.

Back