1070 to Vega64 or 2070?

viivo

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm having second thoughts about the Vega64 that's currently enroute to me and considering returning it unopened. I would love to finally be able to take advantage of freesync, but I wonder just how much better the Vega would be than my 1070, and if it has much of a future.

I guess a Vega 64 would be a little bit better than your 1070 with freesync verses a 2070 that would be a little better than your 1070 without freesync but with raytracing.

Reactions: viivo
like this
Well to put your mind to rest you must ask yourself "why did I purchase the Vega 64 in the first place?" From a performance standpoint, we already know its trading blows with GTX 1080. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower. We know it supports freesync which you wont get on any of the green team cards.

'More of a future' would go to the Vega as it's the only card to support VRR on TVs if that's your jam. 2070 is neck and neck and the RTX is even more useless than the Ti.. which isn't saying much.
Considering how close they are it'd probably come down to games you play and what you want to drive.. personally though I don't feel like rewarding nvidia for their bullshit recently so went V64 in recent sales. My biased 2c..

New Samsung TVs are native 4k but support 1440p/120hz and Freesync with no compromise. Latency is also very low (not in gaming monitor area but <10ms).

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone know of an aftermarket cooling solution* for the 64 that's in stock anywhere? I doubt the EVGA AIO on my 1070 will fit, but damned if I'm not going to try anyway.

* except for the Arctic Accelero products which are apparently worse than the reference HSF.

Yeah, I have an Arctic Accelero for my 290X. Not a fan, TBH.

Have you considered water cooling? You can get water jackets for the Vega64, apparently.

Reactions: viivo
like this
Slightly off-topic, but does anyone know of an aftermarket cooling solution* for the 64 that's in stock anywhere? I doubt the EVGA AIO on my 1070 will fit, but damned if I'm not going to try anyway.

* except for the Arctic Accelero products which are apparently worse than the reference HSF.

Arctic Accelero when installed correctly is better than most AIB coolers (let alone even comparing to the blower for sound/cooling levels when pushing it..), I'm going to put an AC3 on my V64 but getting it onto V64 requires a lot of modding.
Check out the Morpheus, they are supposedly releasing/ed a V64 air cooler or can be more easily modded, two big fans and even better than the Arctic stuff supposedly.

Best/cheapest bang for buck if you don't care about longterm is a Asetex 590LX? LC, whatever the big one is. Tech jesus got one onto a V64, brackets is the main issue.
Or go with a waterblock, pretty sure you got a ref sapphire so should be fine.

The trouble I have with the Accelero V I have is that it has this big meaty heastink that goes on the back of the card that fouls on the RAM slots on most motherboards unless you mount the card in a riser of some sort. Making matters worse, the mounting mechanism relies on this heatsink being there, meaning you can't remove it, even if you didn't mind the loss of cooling it provides, which I suspect may be significant.

Edit: Mayb Accelero IV? I can't remember. It's the one with a bigass heatsink that goes on the back of the card in lieu of a backplate.

I have a morpheus on the way to cool my vega. If you have space, it seems to cool very well according to reviews.

I've been out of the PC upgrade game for a while now. Pretty much in the same boat. Just upgraded to an i7-8700k, but unsure whether I want to upgrade from my current Geforce 1070. I love the Batman games so I deliberately stayed with nVidia a couple of years ago just to take advantage of Physx, but I honestly don't game as much as I used to (not much at all to be honest). Now that you can get the Vega 64 for $400, I'm wondering if it's worth it to just get one now. Somewhat satisfied with the 1070, but I wouldn't mind a boost. My monitor does not support FreeSync or GSync, but it is 1440p native which is the resolution I run everything at. My gut tells me to wait until the 2070ti comes down in price in another year or two, but the new pricetag on the Vega 64 is very attractive.

Just me, but I think maybe I'd wait. Not sure the jump is big enough, you know? AMD has some new boards coming out. They might affect a lot of things, including price of the current Vega boards, or even due to price, you might get one of the new Navi boards (said to be significantly cheaper).

Yeah, I'm sort of leaning in that direction. Seeing the huge price drop is what got me interested, but $400 is still $400 so the incremental gain might not be worth it.

If the latest rumor about the Navi based RX3080 with +15% over Vega 64 for $249 are to be believed, I'd seriously consider waiting.

What? Thats a HUGE performance drop? Did you also drop down in resolution? What res do you run the vega at?
3840x1080. It's not as big a loss as one would think. Practically everything I play is 70fps+ with max settings.
I'm using a Samsung CHG90 49". Also Vega is fun to play with. Running a Red Devil Vega 64 with the LC Bios and a hefty OC.

I also had two 1080 Tis briefly that I sold to wait for Vega 64 Crossfire.

Of course the 1080 Ti is the faster card, but I really wanted to support AMD and Vega 64 CF can handle 4K60 in supported games.

Plus, it let me upgrade to a FreeSync TV, AFAIK there are no G-Sync TVs available so that is an advantage.

3840x1080. It's not as big a loss as one would think. Practically everything I play is 70fps+ with max settings.
I'm using a Samsung CHG90 49". Also Vega is fun to play with. Running a Red Devil Vega 64 with the LC Bios and a hefty OC.
I'm the opposite with amd gpus. I hate all the work that goes into ocing them. Work power tables and all that. I know it's not mandatory but I like it the easy way. But regardless of where your frames are seems like your had to leave a lot of performance on the table no? Your at about 1080 performance now?

As long as your happy. One card is always easier to deal with.

I'd return it. Its 4 weeks until CES, where AMD is expected to announce all of their new cpus and gpus. I would buy nothing until at least then. You'll at least know when availability will be and can decide then.

I'm the opposite with amd gpus. I hate all the work that goes into ocing them. Work power tables and all that. I know it's not mandatory but I like it the easy way. But regardless of where your frames are seems like your had to leave a lot of performance on the table no? Your at about 1080 performance now?

As long as your happy. One card is always easier to deal with.

Yeah, it's about 1080 performance. Which, honestly, is fine. The SLI setup was almost useless as when SLI actually did work most of the time there were texture flashes with shadows, and other games that "Support," SLI actually had degraded performance with lower lows on FPS than single card. Not to mention my 1080Ti setup were founders cards so it was like having two blow dryers running in my office. Selling the two 1080Ti's netted me enough to buy a used Vega 64 cheap and almost pay for my monitor. In the end my gaming experience has been much smoother.

Went to a freesync monitor and ditched my SLI 1080Ti setup for a Vega 64. "No ragrets," freesync is great. Can't believe I went this long with never using it.

Same. Well, from a 980ti not 1080ti's, but I really love the Vega64+Freesync display combo. Handles 3840x1440 with no problems, for the most part, and when it's not enough, freesync more than compensates.

Yeah, it's about 1080 performance. Which, honestly, is fine. The SLI setup was almost useless as when SLI actually did work most of the time there were texture flashes with shadows, and other games that "Support," SLI actually had degraded performance with lower lows on FPS than single card. Not to mention my 1080Ti setup were founders cards so it was like having two blow dryers running in my office. Selling the two 1080Ti's netted me enough to buy a used Vega 64 cheap and almost pay for my monitor. In the end my gaming experience has been much smoother.
Yeah dual cards always end up being a let down, I just got a freesync monitor with a 1080ti, but at 1440p 144hz I am already needing to drop a decent amount of settings in BFV to get around 144.

Super off topic, you in the Marine Core? My daughter is considering joining, is this something you would still recommend after being in? Assuming you are.

I have a Titan XP(aka better 1080ti) in one rig hooked up to a 43" 4k Monitor(not TV), I sold my other 4 titan XPs and kept my Vega64 and bought a Freesync 144hz 1080p Curved Screen ROG Strix monitor....If I play a game, it's on that now, not sure what it is but I find FPS games are far far more enjoyable on that setup.

Glad to hear all the positive FreeSync experiences. I was able to use it only briefly on my 390x before someone snuck in and cracked its core by over-tightening a cooler, the bastard.

Anyway, since I am very sensitive to input lag and especially stutters from frame drops and such, I look forward to testing it out when it arrives in the mail tonight.

Freesync monitor, means buy a freesync gpu... kinda makes sense.

I have a g-sync gpu, so I bought a g-sync monitor...

Keep the Vega 64. It's going to be maybe a year until Navi 10 comes out?

Reactions: N4CR
like this

Let us know how it goes with the freesync support on it.

Let us know how it goes with the freesync support on it.

I think we might be surprised by what AMD does. But who am I?

Received the Vega, loaded a game and system hard locked within a minute, so I know I'm definitely using an ATI/AMD product and look forward to the constant tweaking required to make it run normally. For the real question, are there any issues with FreeSync and a refresh rate lower than that native to the monitor? Noticing some very irritating microstutter.

Received the Vega, loaded a game and system hard locked within a minute, so I know I'm definitely using an ATI/AMD product and look forward to the constant tweaking required to make it run normally. For the real question, are there any issues with FreeSync and a refresh rate lower than that native to the monitor? Noticing some very irritating microstutter.

did you use ddu and clean install the drivers? I would probably do that when switching cards. I haven't had any issues with freesync. Are you using display port or hdmi?

did you use ddu and clean install the drivers? I would probably do that when switching cards. I haven't had any issues with freesync. Are you using display port or hdmi?

Of course. DP. I'm fairly certain it had to do with certain settings, and hasn't crashed since.

I know I'm definitely using an ATI/AMD product and look forward to the constant tweaking required to make it run normally.

I had 2 weeks of Hell getting my Nvidia 2080 Ti cards working. Problems are not limited to AMD products.

For the real question, are there any issues with FreeSync and a refresh rate lower than that native to the monitor? Noticing some very irritating microstutter.

FreeSync has a specific range it works within. This can be different depending on the panel in your monitor. Generally you want to stay around 2 fps below the max to avoid going outside the range. For example, on a 100Hz monitor, set the fps cap to 98. You can do this in RivaTuner, or using the Chill functionality built into the AMD driver. If you are going below the range, you'll just have to adjust game settings so you are getting adequate performance.

I had 2 weeks of Hell getting my Nvidia 2080 Ti cards working. Problems are not limited to AMD products.

FreeSync has a specific range it works within. This can be different depending on the panel in your monitor. Generally you want to stay around 2 fps below the max to avoid going outside the range. For example, on a 100Hz monitor, set the fps cap to 98. You can do this in RivaTuner, or using the Chill functionality built into the AMD driver. If you are going below the range, you'll just have to adjust game settings so you are getting adequate performance.

I'm still waiting for my second rtx 2070 hopefully the second one won't space invaders

that monitor has me drooling!!!!!

Back