1070 to 2070 Super upgrade?

isfn

n00b
Is this a wise upgrade?
Can the 2070S do ray tracing at 1440, 60+ fps?
Is there anything new coming in the near future?

Worth it is an opinion.

It can do RT at 1440p 60Hz in some games but you’ll have to turn down settings. RTX low, ect.

I’d read some reviews if I were you. I don’t think anyone really knows when Ampere will drop.

i upgraded from a 1080 to 2070 super and i run 1440p at 144hz g-sync compatible. I get above 100fps in most games. I can play Control with ray tracing on High with DLSS turned on i get smooth framerate and it looks the same as native to me. Metro Exodus runs good too with ray tracing on at 1440p. I have a 3700X CPU. I would recommend either a 2070 SUPER or find a 2080 for same price.

I have a GTX 1070Ti and was considering the RTX2070S, but in the end I think I'll skip this generation. I have lots of older games I haven't played yet, and I'm not getting any newer games (really tempted with GoW5 but haven't even played GoW4 yet) so I'll keep my card for a while.

I have a GTX1080 and I was seriously considering grabbing a 2070 Super or 2080 but in the end I figured it would be more beneficial for long term performance if I waited the 6 or so months for nVidia's next generation of card launching in the first quarter of 2020. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and get a free copy of Cyberpunk 2077 with it.

I have a GTX 1070Ti and was considering the RTX2070S, but in the end I think I'll skip this generation. I have lots of older games I haven't played yet, and I'm not getting any newer games (really tempted with GoW5 but haven't even played GoW4 yet) so I'll keep my card for a while.

This is exactly the same boat I’m in. My 1080 will carry the load for a while longer. 3080/Ti upgrade next year.

It depends what games you want to play. The only really demanding game i played on my 2070 super was Control. That requires you turn on DLSS if you want full ray tracing effects on at 1440p. The DLSS is good in the game thankfully. I think Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be a similar situation.

I am actually switching from a 1080Ti to a 2070 Super. Felt like a change and wanted to try out RTX, but didn't want to pay the high prices of the 2080 and 2080Ti.

Originally I had planned to wait until the next generation cards from AMD and Nvidia dropped to change, but, I think by the time next generation comes out, the 2070 super will be an easier sell than the 1080Ti. I also think the 1080Ti second hand price will drop a lot more than the 2070 Super price.

So, OP, if I was you, I would upgrade now. Your 1070 will be worth very little by the time the next gen comes out.

Reactions: isfn
like this
1070 is still a good card and RTX technology brings nothing exciting to the table so far in its current iteration - in the games I’ve played anyway. (Quake 2, Metro Exodus, 3d Mark, various ray tracing demos) I’d wait if RTX is the upgrade driver.

~ 2080 owner.

like this
1070 is still a good card and RTX technology brings nothing exciting to the table so far in its current iteration - in the games I’ve played anyway. (Quake 2, Metro Exodus, 3d Mark, various ray tracing demos) I’d wait if RTX is the upgrade driver.

~ 2080 owner.

No RT isn’t a big factor in my decision. So, taking RT out of the equation, do you think it’s a good upgrade path?

No RT isn’t a big factor in my decision. So, taking RT out of the equation, do you think it’s a good upgrade path?

Taking RT out of the equation, I think it's still a good upgrade path. You will get a 60% performance increase in most games at 1440p.

If RT doesn't interest you, maybe consider a custom 5700XT, cheaper and nearly as good performance wise as the 2070 Super.

like this
If you take RTX out of the equation, you are left with a faster 10 series. Obviously that's not a bad thing but if your 1070 is still running everything at 1440p without issue why upgrade now? You're obviously interested in Ray Tracing or you wouldn't have asked about it. Upgrading to a 2070 now because "there are no truly impressive ray tracing games available at the moment" (I disagree) for the non RTX boost is kind of stepping on your own dick here. If you are interested in Ray Tracing at higher resolutions and your 1070 isn't giving you issues then just wait a few months. You'll be happy you did 2 years from now when most games support ray tracing (unless you want to upgrade then). If all you truly want is a frame rate boost and you don't really care too much about RTX features or you plan to upgrade when the 3rd gen of RTX cards hit the market then definitely grab a 2070 Super now.

It really comes down to what you want from a new card today and the upgrade path you want to take over the next 5 years or so. I still personally think that if someone is interested in ray tracing and hasn't already upgraded, their current cards are still performing well and they generally hold on to their cards for 4+ years then waiting for the 2nd generation of RTX cards to hit in a few months is the smartest choice.

like this
Taking RT out of the equation, I think it's still a good upgrade path. You will get a 60% performance increase in most games at 1440p.

If RT doesn't interest you, maybe consider a custom 5700XT, cheaper and nearly as good performance wise as the 2070 Super.

Ya I thought of that but I have a g-sync monitor

If all you truly want is a frame rate boost and you don't really care too much about RTX features or you plan to upgrade when the 3rd gen of RTX cards hit the market then definitely grab a 2070 Super now.

I’m kind of leaning towards this. I’m tired of waiting for the next thing around the corner. I can always upgrade again when RT matures.

If I was able to do that I would be doing something better than stepping on it

I’m kind of leaning towards this. I’m tired of waiting for the next thing around the corner. I can always upgrade again when RT matures.

I got my 2070 Super, an EVGA one, last Friday. I posted earlier in the thread that I was changing from a 1080Ti. It's a really good card. Thought I would regret the purchase, but, I am actually glad I did.

And after playing with it for a few days, I can honestly say that you will be very happy with the jump from a 1070 to a 2070 Super.

Go for it.

I got my 2070 Super, an EVGA one, last Friday. I posted earlier in the thread that I was changing from a 1080Ti. It's a really good card. Thought I would regret the purchase, but, I am actually glad I did.

And after playing with it for a few days, I can honestly say that you will be very happy with the jump from a 1070 to a 2070 Super.

Go for it.
Great. I wouldn't to that kind of jump myself, but if you are happy, its all good.

Great. I wouldn't to that kind of jump myself, but if you are happy, its all good.

Yeah, It's not a change that I thought I would ever make. It was purely to try Ray Tracing without paying too much and without losing performance. The 2070 Super scratched that upgrade itch for me, as I got a decent price for my 1080Ti.

Now, the surprising thing is that overall, it is an improvement over the 1080Ti. Frame times are much improved in any game that I have tried. But, it's in VR that I have felt the biggest change. It's noticeably smoother in VR. There are also some really nice Turing features like Integer scaling.

I am still deciding about Ray Tracing. Have played some Control, Youngblood and Metro Exodus and so far my reaction has been "meh" The effects are either so subtle that they might not have bothered, or so shouty that they don't look natural. But, I am only in the early stages of all 3 games, so my impressions might change.

like this
I went from a 1070 to Asus 2070 Super Advanced because I wanted to game 1440p. Well worth it. I went from arounfd45 fps to 80 fps smaat2x in SOTR. Caan ray-trace medium with smaat2x in same game at 72 fps average.

like this
I picked up a 2070s coming from an ancient 970 so im happy. Next move is a new monitor. If you can hold out for a generation or gen+refresh, then all the better.

like this
Back