1070 problem? Artifacts?

LigTasm

Supreme [H]ardness
Trying to figure out what this might be, I have been having this issue for a few weeks now. My monitor keeps showing flashes of black, it doesn't matter if its in game or not. I can't figure out if its the monitor or if its the card.

The card is an EVGA 1070 SC, monitor is a Dell S2417DG. I am not overclocking it to 165hz, its set at 144hz. I have tried two DP cables.

It looks like this (MS paint skillz), the red areas indicate where I'm seeing them. They flash solid black for such a short fraction of a second I can barely see it.

monitor.jpg

Well after about a month of messing with this the problem is google chrome, for anyone who is interested. I switched to Edge for a week and never saw these come back once, open chrome again and they show up immediately. I am also having problems with chrome freezing during video playback, so I guess I'll have to troubleshoot that. Its a fresh install on a fresh windows 10 with almost nothing else installed, so I'm assuming there was a chrome update that caused the problem.

Sounds like a driver problem, are you on the latest drivers and latest version of Chrome?

Are you using display port? A weak or bad cable (plenty of those out there) will have flashing of black etc. run across your monitor and cause havoc with the drivers.

My LG 4K monitor came with cables, naturally but the Nano or monitor would black in/out. Bought good cable and not once had this problem. Well that same bad cable ended up being used with my 1070 and 3440x1440p monitor and periodically I get corruption, black quick sections and distortions and sometimes the driver would fail which actually looked like your quick painting. Changed to good cable and perfect as can be. This time I threw the junk cable in the garbage can.

Make sure you have good cables going to your monitor is the jest.

Are you using display port? A weak or bad cable (plenty of those out there) will have flashing of black etc. run across your monitor and cause havoc with the drivers.

My LG 4K monitor came with cables, naturally but the Nano or monitor would black in/out. Bought good cable and not once had this problem. Well that same bad cable ended up being used with my 1070 and 3440x1440p monitor and periodically I get corruption, black quick sections and distortions and sometimes the driver would fail which actually looked like your quick painting. Changed to good cable and perfect as can be. This time I threw the junk cable in the garbage can.

I just had a problem with a DP cable that was causing all sorts of weirdness on one of my Asus monitors that cleared up after replacing the cable so I think this is a good call.

Yes I am, that was the first thing I tried. I use a thick monoprice cable but I tried the Dell supplied one and it was the same. I don't think it is the cable, as I said it only happens when Chrome is running.

Sounds like a driver problem, are you on the latest drivers and latest version of Chrome?

I've updated the WHQL drivers twice during this time, the most recent last week to 379.whatever. I'm not sure on the version of chrome, I think it updates itself? If it doesn't then I'll check it.

disable hardware accel maybe?

I have hardware accel disabled all the time in Chrome, it doesn't seem to play well with Gsync if I leave it on, scrolling gets really jittery. I could try turning it back on? Honestly I really want to move away from Chrome as I don't much like Google as a company any more.

cool. one last thing before you do move on, I had an issue with ie doing similar things do to ab/rivatuner. I had to add it to rivatuner and set application detection level to none. that fixed all the probs! try adding chrome.exe if you have ab/rivatuner.

Back