1070 or 980ti?

sfsuphysics

[H]F Junkie
64 dollar question, both cards are roughly the same price although I can get a 980ti for $399 so a bit savings, slim pickings with variety on the 1070 side, some reviews show the 1070 as slightly faster in some things and the 980ti slightly faster in others.

Building a rig for my BIL, I might have a month to wait on it but not much more time than that to wait for prices to stabilize/drop. So assuming brand new and not secondary market cards (since I hear people are going to dump their 980tis) the question about is there any reason the 1070 would be worth $30-50 more than a 980ti?

The 10XX series cards have multiport projection support to improve VR performance and they use less lower and run cooler. That's about it.

Side by side my 980ti and my friends 1070 I am getting better performance due to the fact I can pull a much higher OC, but the 1070 is running cooler and quieter than my 980ti. Depends if you really feel the need to put out the little extra for the 1070. Not to much of a price difference to really worry about the minor differences in performance.

It seems that the 980 Ti is a hair faster in most cases as well as slightly cheaper but I expect both those things to change over time. As a 980 Ti owner I would say get the 1070. Performance should/might even out over time and prices will surely settle down after the initial launch.

If you get a good deal on the 980ti and dont need the VR features of the 1070, get the 980ti.
At the same price, get the 1070.

Or if you want a lower power use, improved DX12 feature support, more VRAM, likely better driver support long term... For $30 saving I don't see why anyone would get the 980Ti.
You would have a point if the difference is only $30 but thats not what I said.

OP said $30 to $50, just following along with that.
If I had to put a figure on it, I'd say nearer $100, $70 minimum difference.
Its hard to quantify. Others might be happy with $50 difference, it depends how much their knuckles are being skinned.

I got 980 ti matrix almost new (2 months old) 110$ cheaper than cheapest AIB 1070 and I thought a lot about it... 980 Ti is hot and loud (even matrix is loud by my standarts) and if its a choise between 980 Ti with "sub par" cooler and pretty much any 1070 (say hello to 100 W less heat to dissipate or pretty much half as much as 980ti when both are overclocked) I'd buy 1070 and would not think about it twice. 1070 is cooler, much more likely to get support (980ti is legacy product now) and is pretty much guaranteed to overclock to at least 2000 Mhz – 980 Ti has to be much, much cheaper to make any sense.

Ok thanks guys, it's not my money but I am trying to build a rig for him on the cheap (ish) and it seems that the power/heat savings might be worth a couple Jacksons and try to save $20 here and there elsewhere, now lets hope I can actually find a 1070.

I recommend 1070. Just a lot more effecient and low power and if you are buying new why buy last gen card thats how I see it. If you can get a 980ti for 300 used then I recommend that.

For me, once you go over $250, you may as well get current gen, unless current gen is marginal at best. In that case you'd be better off for the refresh to see what it brings. The 10 series cards aren't slouches by any means. You can't go wrong with a 1070, even if it's a bit higher than the 980Ti. Then again I say that as a very satisfied owner of a 1070, so I'm very biased in that regard.

My previous card was an HD7850, but even still, If what I'm experiencing is the equivalent of the 980Ti, I'm still happy with my purchase.

For me, once you go over $250, you may as well get current gen, unless current gen is marginal at best. In that case you'd be better off for the refresh to see what it brings. The 10 series cards aren't slouches by any means. You can't go wrong with a 1070, even if it's a bit higher than the 980Ti. Then again I say that as a very satisfied owner of a 1070, so I'm very biased in that regard.

My previous card was an HD7850, but even still, If what I'm experiencing is the equivalent of the 980Ti, I'm still happy with my purchase.

same here. I see people here selling 980ti for almost what they are going for retail now. I expect to save around a 100 on a previous gen card from current retail prices. So for someone to sell me a 980ti it would have to be no more than 300 shipped maxed. Or I will buy a 1070. Just the way it is for me.

Basically if you can get a 980ti and save ~20-25% compared to a 1070 then get that. If you live in a hot country, don't have AC and don't want sweaty balls then go for a 1070.

980ti draws 100w more power at stock, probably 150w more when overclocked to match a 1070

Easily the GTX 1070 and just go with whichever aftermarket model floats your boat or is cheapest. Faster, less power, and runs cooler. I've owned both and also the 1080. 1070 is a great card.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You cant go wrong with either i got a zotac 980 ti amp omega for $399 over 450 for a 1070 and dont regret it one bit

You cant go wrong with either i got a zotac 980 ti amp omega for $399 over 450 for a 1070 and dont regret it one bit

1070s can be had for well under $450 now though. A decision you made weeks ago isnt necessarily a good decision for someone right now.

I picked up a Gigabyte 1070 G1, OC edition with three fans for $429 over a month ago from NewEgg, great performing card being limited by my FX 9590 CPU. Still a great performner and made a significant difference in room heatup or should I say much less a space heater compared to a 290x/290 CFX solution, while performing better in virtually everything. The 1070 really killed the price points for the Fury line, 980Ti and Maxwell Titan X.

If you're not opposed to buying used a 980 Ti could be a better buy. I've seen them go as low as $325.

My MSI Twin Frozr 980ti ended up at $350 new after getting MIR, which is really insane come to think of it. The best price around for a run of the mill GTX 1070 is $410 before tax, $460 after tax, but I've not seen this in Canuckland. It's impossible to get the Twin Frozr version of the 1070 at that price at any rate.

1070. Not to mention the 8GB VRAM.

Always go with the latest technology.

My MSI Twin Frozr 980ti ended up at $350 new after getting MIR, which is really insane come to think of it. The best price around for a run of the mill GTX 1070 is $410 before tax, $460 after tax, but I've not seen this in Canuckland. It's impossible to get the Twin Frozr version of the 1070 at that price at any rate.

Afaik twin frozr wasn't the greatest with 980ti. If you're going to get a 980ti you should go for the SKUs that are known to clock very well, else you won't even outperform a 1070

I can recommend the EVGA 1070 SC.
I replaced a very old ATI 4870 which served me well, but I want to get back into gaming and that old card was not going to cut it.

The first thing I noticed after installing the 1070 was a DRASTIC reduction in heat. The old 4870 was roasting hot just running 2D desktop.
The air coming out of the rear case fans went from hair dryer hot to only mildly warm.

Out of the box Firestrike scores were low, but downloading the EVGA Presicion XOC ultility and adjusting the power/clocks fixed that.

Once you are at $400, just spend the extra $40 for the 1070.

Afaik twin frozr wasn't the greatest with 980ti. If you're going to get a 980ti you should go for the SKUs that are known to clock very well, else you won't even outperform a 1070

I stayed away from the Strix out of the voltage lock. I guess G1 is the better option as well as EVGA?

Maxwell/Pascal, you're not going to see much differences on a typical non-ref cooler.
IMO, this is where thermals and noise-levels reign supreme. ACX has basically been only okay (780, 980Ti), so I'm glad I finally got onto an MSI solution for this round.

Huge difference on noise levels and thermals. Basically I was limited to a max fan speed, due to noise level running the typical eVGA ACX solutions. I don't have that same issue on the MSI. I didn't even bother to set a custom fan curve, cuz the fan noise is a non-issue.

1070, hands down. I've always been a fan of EVGA. Great customer service and warranty. If the 1070 ain't fast enough for you, then use the step-up option for a 1080.

I stayed away from the Strix out of the voltage lock. I guess G1 is the better option as well as EVGA?

EVGA is not a good choice for a 980Ti imo because their ACX cooler is subpar, the G1 is much much better as far as cooling is concerned. There's also the Zotac options which I've heard good things about.

I personally know three people other than myself who have purchased either the G1 or the Xtreme 980Tis and all of them overclock very well. It's also slightly faster than a 1070 when OC in some games, the downside is the heat. This thing dissipates a lot power.

Reactions: Nenu
like this
I sent a Gigabyte G1 980 Ti back because it was jet engine loud and still overclocked poorly. I now run a MSI 980 Ti albeit with an AIO water cooler. The stock cooler was reasonably quiet though. I do feel that pretty much all stock air coolers for the 980 Ti were just barely adequate for the job.

It all comes down to what price you can get a 980 Ti vs a 1070.

EVGA is not a good choice for a 980Ti imo because their ACX cooler is subpar, the G1 is much much better as far as cooling is concerned. There's also the Zotac options which I've heard good things about.

I personally know three people other than myself who have purchased either the G1 or the Xtreme 980Tis and all of them overclock very well. It's also slightly faster than a 1070 when OC in some games, the downside is the heat. This thing dissipates a lot power.

The 980ti that I have now clocks 1458MHz at 1.212v with ram at 4000MHz. (+500MHz vram +116 core). Maybe I am kind of lucky with this MSI card.

1070. Comparable performance... but with more VRAM, less power draw, and less heat output. Not even a contest, at this point.

The 980ti that I have now clocks 1458MHz at 1.212v with ram at 4000MHz. (+500MHz vram +116 core). Maybe I am kind of lucky with this MSI card.

I wasn't saying the MSI cards OC worse, just that the cooler for 980ti wasn't the greatest, I can't remember what issue it had not, maybe it was componentry on the back of the card not being cooler

Also worth checking if you actually need that voltage increase, is it unstable if you drop the voltage?

I wasn't saying the MSI cards OC worse, just that the cooler for 980ti wasn't the greatest, I can't remember what issue it had not, maybe it was componentry on the back of the card not being cooler

Also worth checking if you actually need that voltage increase, is it unstable if you drop the voltage?
I couldn't get it stable at 1500MHz. I think I will dial the voltage down and play with it to see how it goes.

I couldn't get it stable at 1500MHz. I think I will dial the voltage down and play with it to see how it goes.
I fought tooth and nail to get it stable at 1500mhz but it required a voltage bump to 1.218v from 1.193v, made cooling a lot harder, and totally unsustainable in my current ~ 33c ambient :p

Running ~1470mhz @ 1.187v for a few months now and couldn't be happier :)

Some advice; in Maxwell Bios Tweaker there's a tab (clock states I believe) that contains min/max values for four different units; GPC, XBAR, SYS, L2C.

I've found that raising the maximum value of all them to match your OC improves performance and stability

Back