1070 or 980 ti or wait?

Kainzo

Gawd
So basically,
I run a 3, 24inch monitor setup (1080p/60hz for sides, 144 hz primary) with a GTX 680 MSI Lightning

Which card should I grab? or should I wait to see how the new RX 500 series does? I'd rather stay Nvidia

Just wanting opinions!

why are you set specifically between those cards?. price?. I would not look at anything less than a GTX 1080 for gaming with that kind of setup. if gaming isn't your primary concern, then always buy the newer tech, which in this case is the GTX 1070, never play de "waiting game" as always there's something better around the corner that will "worth" the waiting, buy the best you can afford now.

why are you set specifically between those cards?. price?. I would not look at anything less than a GTX 1080 for gaming with that kind of setup. if gaming isn't your primary concern, then always buy the newer tech, which in this case is the GTX 1070, never play de "waiting game" as always there's something better around the corner that will "worth" the waiting, buy the best you can afford now.

I do like to play the waiting game, you're probably right. Though do I really need 8GB 1080 for this setup? its not 4k gaming, (or is it?)
Maybe I'm confused with terminology, The only time I've felt like I couldnt run something was using full screens with For Honor at high settings with my 680 and it angered me cause it was at 10 fps lol.

Your setup is 3/4 of 4k. Close enough to need the vram. I'm running over the 4GB mark now at 1440p, and you have more pixels to push with your setup. Get the most vram you can afford.

Your setup is 3/4 of 4k. Close enough to need the vram. I'm running over the 4GB mark now at 1440p, and you have more pixels to push with your setup. Get the most vram you can afford.
Sigh, I can afford anything, but im just being a miser and wanting to make sure I get the best bang for my bucks.

Thanks for the schooling! I sometimes don't think about these things and its good to have a refresher on vram and desktop space

Reactions: NKD
like this
If you are in no hurry then I would wait for the rx500 and vega. Not because they may be a good buy, but because they may be strong enough cards that may force nvidia to adjust pricing again. Other than that - it depends on what you expect of your setup. I had a 980ti driving a 3440x1440, which is nearly the same pixel count as your setup. The 980ti dealt quite well in most games, but some games (like the newer Tomb Raider) barely kept at 60fps, sometimes dropping to 40-50. I replaced it with a 1080ti and it's all good now :). It depends on what you play and what you expect. If you want to use all 3 monitors and see all 144fps at ultra or very high settings - you will need something better than a 1070 or even a 1080. If you are fine playing on medium/high settings, low AA - the 1070/980ti would probably be enough.
I would look up the game performance on the cards you want to buy at 1440p or 3440x1440 resolutions and take it into consideration.

If you can afford it, get the 1080Ti. Basically 1070SLI without the hassle, and you get the performance now.

Should last you a good 2-3 years if you stick to 60FPS.

If you are in no hurry then I would wait for the rx500 and vega. Not because they may be a good buy, but because they may be strong enough cards that may force nvidia to adjust pricing again. Other than that - it depends on what you expect of your setup. I had a 980ti driving a 3440x1440, which is nearly the same pixel count as your setup. The 980ti dealt quite well in most games, but some games (like the newer Tomb Raider) barely kept at 60fps, sometimes dropping to 40-50. I replaced it with a 1080ti and it's all good now :). It depends on what you play and what you expect. If you want to use all 3 monitors and see all 144fps at ultra or very high settings - you will need something better than a 1070 or even a 1080. If you are fine playing on medium/high settings, low AA - the 1070/980ti would probably be enough.
I would look up the game performance on the cards you want to buy at 1440p or 3440x1440 resolutions and take it into consideration.

triple 1080P screens is harder to handle by almost 1.3M of Pixels.. I have a 980TI with a single 1080P screen and there are lot of modern games that mean troubles for this card.

Are you running all three at the same time for gaming? Doesn't the main one drop to 60 Hz in that situation?

I'd probably just pick a used 980 Ti as it is pretty cheap and performs pretty much like a 1070. Upgrade again when Volta or the one after that comes out.

what frame rates are you currently getting and what games do you mostly play? i'd say definitely wait till RX500 or Vega and then decide from there.

So basically,
I run a 3, 24inch monitor setup (1080p/60hz for sides, 144 hz primary) with a GTX 680 MSI Lightning

Which card should I grab? or should I wait to see how the new RX 500 series does? I'd rather stay Nvidia

Just wanting opinions!

I'd grab one of those $420 1080s from Newegg in their Ebay store. Great bang for the buck if you ask me.

If you're going new and those are your options go with the 1070, lower power consumption, fewer power headers needed, and 980ti like performance. Wins across the board.

If you have some extra bucks spend the additional on a 1080 instead with the price dropping and so many jumping to the 1080ti or now the nvidia blah blah blah xp 1200 dollar card you'll be set.

I think ill bite on the MSI 1080 if I can find something within the $500 range.

I see plenty sub 500 used on ebay. Even one on newegg new sub 500 before shipping and any applicable taxes.

I bought the Gaming Z 1070 for $330 from ebay

Seems to be working great. My only issue is... 1 DVI port... all my monitors are DVI/VGA. They were purchased ~3 years ago too heh

I bought the Gaming Z 1070 for $330 from ebay

Seems to be working great. My only issue is... 1 DVI port... all my monitors are DVI/VGA. They were purchased ~3 years ago too heh

If they are only 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 just get some DP -> DVI adapters.

Run your center monitor (144HZ) off the DL-DVI , the side two off of displayport adapters.

Newegg has sales on 1080s on eBay. Last week or so they had 2 different models for $420 or so. Check to see if that happens again. Give yourself a time window and if sale doenst happen in that time buy what you feel the best deal is. Anything less than 450 for gtx 1080 is a great deal.

Newegg has sales on 1080s on eBay. Last week or so they had 2 different models for $420 or so. Check to see if that happens again. Give yourself a time window and if sale doenst happen in that time buy what you feel the best deal is. Anything less than 450 for gtx 1080 is a great deal.
I went ahead and got a 1070 Gaming Z MSI card.

Back