1070 Equipped Sager Laptop Beats X99 Desktop w/ 980ti

w35t

[H]ard|Gawd
I only had time to run 1 benchmark, was really surprised by the results.

Laptop has 6700hq, 1070, 16gb DDR4, Samsung 500gb 850 SSD, Windows 10 Pro.

Desktop in sig, Windows 7 Pro.

In Far Cry Primal, fully maxed settings and 1080p the laptop averaged 74 fps, the desktop averaged 63 FPS.

I think I've seen nVidia accused of nerfing drivers on older cards, or does this just sound about right?

Windows 10 is significantly faster than Windows 7 while gaming for me. It has much better CPU core management than Windows 8 or 8.1. Windows 8.1 was much better than Windows 7 in regards to CPU core management. With that said I haven't used Windows 7 in over a year. Maybe Microsoft patched some performance tweaks into Win 7 since the Windows Insider Program started for Windows 10.

In short I think you're just seeing the difference in OS potential.

Windows 10 is significantly faster than Windows 7 while gaming for me. It has much better CPU core management than Windows 8 or 8.1. Windows 8.1 was much better than Windows 7 in regards to CPU core management. With that said I haven't used Windows 7 in over a year. Maybe Microsoft patched some performance tweaks into Win 7 since the Windows Insider Program started for Windows 10.

In short I think you're just seeing the difference in OS potential.

I was wondering about this myself.

No nerfed drivers or OS optimizations. The mobile 1070 is using a chip roughly equal to its desktop brother (more shaders but slightly less speed) putting it on par with the desktop version. Benchmarks for the desktop 1070 give it about 7-10 fps over the 980 ti in primal. It's just the cards.

No nerfed drivers or OS optimizations. The mobile 1070 is using a chip roughly equal to its desktop brother (more shaders but slightly less speed) putting it on par with the desktop version. Benchmarks for the desktop 1070 give it about 7-10 fps over the 980 ti in primal. It's just the cards.

A GTX 1070 isn't really faster than a GTX 980ti. Not by very much in benchmarks I've seen. Then take into account that the mobile 1070 is a little slower than it's desktop equivalent. It just doesn't add up.

Yep, I believe this the first time the analogous laptop GPU model has been actually a beefier chip than it's Desktop counterpart: normally they're cut-down chips. The mobile 1070 has 128 more cores, if I recall, than the desktop 1070 -- not a ton, but enough to get it to perform around the same as the Desktop card in most cases. Clock for clock the mobile card will actually be faster.

It's not out of the realm of possibility at all that the mobile 1070 (ugh, why didn't nV just name it 1070m?) performs a tad faster than a desktop 980 ti.

A GTX 1070 isn't really faster than a GTX 980ti. Not by very much in benchmarks I've seen. Then take into account that the mobile 1070 is a little slower than it's desktop equivalent. It just doesn't add up.

Very true that on average they are even, but you know certain benchmarks favor certain cards, and primal is one of them. Also the laptop 1070 is basically as fast as the desktop.

Very true that on average they are even, but you know certain benchmarks favor certain cards, and primal is one of them. Also the laptop 1070 is basically as fast as the desktop.

Yep, I believe this the first time the analogous laptop GPU model has been actually a beefier chip than it's Desktop counterpart: normally they're cut-down chips. The mobile 1070 has 128 more cores, if I recall, than the desktop 1070 -- not a ton, but enough to get it to perform around the same as the Desktop card in most cases. Clock for clock the mobile card will actually be faster.

It's not out of the realm of possibility at all that the mobile 1070 (ugh, why didn't nV just name it 1070m?) performs a tad faster than a desktop 980 ti.

I installed Windows 10 on my desktop and re-ran some benchmarks. The OS upgrade changed nothing, I even have the 980ti OC a bit to ~1450MHz and the 5820k a bit to ~4.2GHz. I haven't touched the clocks on the laptop.

I've ran Gears of War 4 and Far Cry Primal and the 1070 in the laptop beats the 980ti by a significant margin every time. Insane considering the processor difference too.

I'm just blown away by it tbh.

Back