1060 VS 980ti for shadowplay recordings.

Florin22xxl

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,
I have a question regarding nvidia 1060 card.I am interested in recording gameplay at 1440p using shadow play,will my recording be of higher quality/better ingame performance ,compared to 980ti?980ti is a faster card,but in my case ,i care about new technology and if my recordings will be of higher quality.I don't know if the chip used is the same,or its a better version....my curent 780 card gives me plenty of performance,but i can't record at 1440 60 fps,its a card limitation,so i am looking to upgrade.There is around 100$ price difference between the 1060 and 980ti(980 beeing more expensive).
I don't want to pay 100$ more and have 20 fps more,but than get a crappy recording,low frames when recording and such things....
thanks.

Maxwell cards can record 1440p60 just fine, they can also do 4k60 just fine as well, up to 130Mbps bitrate.

Both can do 1440p60 recording but Pascal's VP block for both encode/decode is more advanced.

Flipping over to the video encode side of matters, unique to Pascal is a new video encode block (NVENC). NVENC on Maxwell 2 was one of the first hardware HEVC encoders we saw, supporting hardware HEVC encoding before NVIDIA actually supported full hardware HEVC decoding. That said, Maxwell 2’s HEVC encoder was a bit primitive, lacking support for bi-directional frames (B-frames) and only supporting Main Profile (8bit) encoding.

Pascal in turn boosts NVIDIA’s HEVC encoding capabilities significantly with the newest NVENC block. This latest encoder essentially grants NVENC full HEVC support, resolving Maxwell 2’s limitations while also significantly boosting encoding performance. Pascal can now encode Main10 Profile (10bit) video, and total encode throughput is rated by NVIDIA for 2 4Kp60 streams at once. The later in particular, I suspect, is going to be especially important to NVIDIA once they start building Pascal Tesla cards for virtualization, such as a successor to Tesla M60.

As for Main10 Profile encoding support, this can benefit overall quality, but the most visible purpose is to move NVIDIA’s video encode capabilities in lockstep with their decode capabilities, extending HDR support to video encoding as well. By and large HDR encoding is one of those changes that will prove more important farther down the line – think Twitch with HDR – but in the short term NVIDIA has already put the new encoder to good use.
The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 & GTX 1070 Founders Editions Review: Kicking Off the FinFET Generation

Why not consider the GTX 1070 instead of the 980ti, should also be about $100 more.

Thanks for the replies :) Nice link,the pascal line uses 4th generation chip that is used by shadowplay.The gtx 1060 would give me increased performance over the 780 while having the same chip i need for recording as the 1070 and 1080.I am on a tight buged,980ti was a reach and 1070 is out of my price range :D
thanks a lot!

Back