1060 6GB or 480 8GB?

silk186

[H]ard|Gawd
My 280x 3gb is giving out and I need a replacement.
It seems like the nVidia 11 series could be coming in a months time.
If this is true, are prices in the used market in this range likely to drop soon.
How long would I need to wait?

Between the 1060 6GB and 480 8GB, which is the better option?

I currently game at 1080p on my TV and 1080p 24" monitor.
I plan on upgrading to a 27" 1440p monitor within a year.
I'm not going to pay extra for G-Sync but I could get something with FreeSync

1060 has better performance than 480. Difference between 6GB and 8GB shouldn't be noticeable at 1080p.

Here's a vid.

1060 has better performance than 480. Difference between 6GB and 8GB shouldn't be noticeable at 1080p.

Here's a vid.

So, according to that video, the 1060 is a bit better on power but they trade blows in benchmarks.
Other than G-Sync and FreeSync, does either side have any tech that will work on non-gaming (G-Sync and FreeSync) monitors?

I'm currently looking at some Dell 27" 1440p monitors.

pick a good factory OC'd RX 580 8GB and be done with it. better than RX 480 (can sustain better the clocks and achieve higher clocks too) and enough to reduce the differences with the GTX 1060 6gb and outperform it where it trade blows with the RX 480.

Get the nVidia card, a 1060 6gb card. Get it used off craigslist. I've bought a few recently for $150. They are still way over priced in the store at $300 but that will change soon.

Avoid AMD.

Dollar for dollar, if you are deciding between the RX 480 8 GB and the GTX 1060 6 GB and you aren't dancing on the edge of stability with your PSU, get the 480. Otherwise, get the cheaper card if there's a delta in price.

As far as which card has 'better' non-adaptive sync capabilities with non-Freesync or Gsync monitors, I wouldn't know. I have a 1070 but no Gsync; I prefer not being forced to stay in a particular ecosystem and I won't buy into the adaptive sync market until both vendors work with the same standard.

Some useful advice. I'm in the UK so I have ebay and a local hardware forum. I made an offer on an RX 480 8GB as I decided I don't want to wait.

Freesync at 75Hz and a RX580 card best a 1060 card with no gsync, IMO.

If you aren’t buying a freesync monitor, then go with the 1060, because...NVIDIA has the stronger hardware with the 1060 vs 480 and also has generally more reliable drivers.

If you see a Fury X for a decent price and have freesync that’s a good 1080p or 1440p combo. The Fury X is a good 30% faster than a RX480/RX580.

I have owned both and prefer the 1060. It uses less electricity and makes less heat. AMD cooling solutions are are pretty hit or miss. With a 1060 6GB, they always stay cool. I also like the nivida app (Geforce experience) that automatically sets best game settings. It's as close as you get to a console setup experience. Even if the AMD is 10% faster I think the nvidia 1060 6GB card is a better buy over time.

I have owned both and prefer the 1060. It uses less electricity and makes less heat. AMD cooling solutions are are pretty hit or miss. With a 1060 6GB, they always stay cool. I also like the nivida app (Geforce experience) that automatically sets best game settings. It's as close as you get to a console setup experience. Even if the AMD is 10% faster I think the nvidia 1060 6GB card is a better buy over time.
I managed to find a really good deal on a RX 480 8GB and talked the price down even further. I decided to get something right away. With the deal I got it will cover me at 1080p, and before I upgrade the new nVidia 11-series will be out and I can upgrade to something smaller and more efficient. I haven't gone green in more than a decade, but it is a better choice for when I go SFF.

I managed to find a really good deal on a RX 480 8GB and talked the price down even further. I decided to get something right away. With the deal I got it will cover me at 1080p, and before I upgrade the new nVidia 11-series will be out and I can upgrade to something smaller and more efficient. I haven't gone green in more than a decade, but it is a better choice for when I go SFF.
Good deal then! The best thing with AMD card is to also use it with a freesync monitor.

Back