1055t vs i5-750

Kuromizu

Gawd
I've got a tough choice here.

1055t Setup with 870 motherboard and 4gb ram will cost me around $350.

a i5-750 setup will cost me around $290 after rebate.

I normally just play games on my machine but from time to time I do some video encoding and gimp photo editing .Mostly I play TF2, L4D1/2, Borderlands, FFXIV (beta for now anyways), and a few other random things. Which do you guys think would be better? I'll be upgrading from my sig setup + a 5850.

I posted it here because I'm leaning towards the AMD.

You can't go wrong with either setup really. I like the i5-750 because it's more power efficient, but that's my cup of tea. If you like the 1055T, then go for it :cool:.

The i5 is going to be faster right now for what you mostly do (esp. games since they rarely use more than 3 cores). However, in highly threaded apps the 1055t is going to beat the i5 pretty easily. For this reason, the 1055t is going to be a bit more futureproof in the end. If you're into overclocking, you can usually get the 1055t up to ~4ghz fairly easily with semi-decent cooling.

Basically, for gaming performance right now go with the i5 (you also say it's a bit cheaper). For a more futureproof system that can be OC'd pretty easily go with the 1055t.

Hmm, It looks like I might be able to squeeze an i7-860 into the same price range too. Insanity!

Hmm, It looks like I might be able to squeeze an i7-860 into the same price range too. Insanity!
Yeah, a lot of choices. Like the person said above you, however, the main benefit to the phenom ii x6 is that it will do well in video encoding and other highly-threaded apps. You will get better gaming performance with a 15 750 or i7, but generally it only makes a difference at lower resolutions.

Yeah, you're probably right. I always hate buying things knowing new stuff is right around the corner too. I bet I could survive a little with my current setup, but if I can score the stuff cheaply enough...

if you can get either setup cheap now, go for it, you wont be disappointed.....the 1055T will game nearly identically to the i5 or i7 you mentioned.....yes it may have a 1-5 FPS lower, but you then have a hex core that will mess up both the i5 and the i7 in the video and image editing that you do

if you can wait for BD or Sandy Bridge, do an upgrade at that point

clock for clock the i5 will be better and it will scale to 4ghz... i'd go that route but for simple gaming AMD and intel are pretty close.

I would go for the i5 over the AMD. The AMD might have more cores per dollar, but in almost every real world application, the i5 is going to rip the Phenom apart especially if you intend to overclock.

I would go for the i5 over the AMD. The AMD might have more cores per dollar, but in almost every real world application, the i5 is going to rip the Phenom apart especially if you intend to overclock.

do i need to get any video encoding software and show the X6 beating th snot out of an i5? And yes it is relevant since thats one thing the OP does

Actually, I was just reading anandtech's review of both chips. The i5 is really a substantial improvement over my E6600 even if it isn't quite as fast as the 6 core. It really doesn't seem to be $60 slower anyways.

The OP said he normally plays games and from time to time does video encoding and GIMP photo editting. So I suggested on the basis of games.

Back