1045T @ 4GHz, stable - but ArmA2 crashes?

buzzbomb

Gawd
With my H100i I can get a stable overclock of 4GHz out of my Phenom II x6 1045T - 50% overclock, I'll take it. Reminds me of the 300a days. :D

Only problem I have is that ArmA2 crashes...I play DayZ mod quite a bit and it is more than frustrating to gear up and have my PC crap out on me, and with ArmA2 being so CPU-intensive the 500MHz I have to drop to keep running does have a noticeable effect on FPS. I'm not stressing the RAM or NB/HT, voltages and temps are superb (1.4v, CPU under 55° at load)...any ideas? With the speeds I can get out of this chip, anything but an 8350 is a side-grade at best, plus the engine doesn't take advantage of much over 4 cores...should I start disabling two cores and trying higher clocks?

EDIT: Misspoke right off the bat, it's a 1035T not 1045T.

Last edited:
Sometimes medium-load applications require more stability than high-load applications.

Example: I've had to increase my voltage several ticks past prime95/OCCT etc stable to get it x264 encoding stable, which is generally only about 50% cpu load.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Arma 2 something along the lines of being pretty load intensive on the CPU?

Sometimes medium-load applications require more stability than high-load applications.

Example: I've had to increase my voltage several ticks past prime95/OCCT etc stable to get it x264 encoding stable, which is generally only about 50% cpu load.

Interesting, I'll check that out.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Arma 2 something along the lines of being pretty load intensive on the CPU?

Extremely, and I mentioned that in my post.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113286 FX6300 mine easily does 4.25 on only 1.28V with a stock cooler

Even with the increased L-caches and slightly increased OC that CPU is at best a side-grade, and if I were going to spend the money for a CPU it would be an 83xx at this point.

Technically, if it crashes it isn't a stable OC :p.

Personally, I'd just get a 8350 if you're concerned about the FPS drop because I'm not sure you're going to get it completely stable at 4Ghz. That's really a great OC on a 1045T. I never got much above 3.5Ghz.

Personally, I'd just get a 8350 if you're concerned about the FPS drop because I'm not sure you're going to get it completely stable at 4Ghz. That's really a great OC on a 1045T. I never got much above 3.5Ghz.

I agree, technically not a stable OC..

With my H100i I can get a stable overclock of 4GHz out of my Phenom II x6 1045T - 50% overclock, I'll take it. Reminds me of the 300a days. :D

Only problem I have is that ArmA2 crashes...I play DayZ mod quite a bit and it is more than frustrating to gear up and have my PC crap out on me, and with ArmA2 being so CPU-intensive the 500MHz I have to drop to keep running does have a noticeable effect on FPS. I'm not stressing the RAM or NB/HT, voltages and temps are superb (1.4v, CPU under 55° at load)...any ideas? With the speeds I can get out of this chip, anything but an 8350 is a side-grade at best, plus the engine doesn't take advantage of much over 4 cores...should I start disabling two cores and trying higher clocks?

I had my 1055T @ 4.3Ghz using a Koolance Exos, but I needed 1.45V IIRC..What speed are you running the NB at? If you are running it below 2.4Ghz, crank it up as close to 3Ghz as you can. Add the proper Voltage (Vtt is what it is usually called but I haven't had an AMD board in forever)..Even if you have to back the core clock down a bit, the NB being @ 3Ghz will give you a noticeable performance boost.

Also, have you tested the GPU @ full load when you are stress testing the CPU? If not then you are only stressing 1/2 of the hardware you need to successfully play games, as you are finding out. Loading both requires a lot more out the PSU and places additional strain on the MB as well. I would suggest running a loop of 3DMark/Haven/or even FurMark (although it draws an insane amount of power).

Also, most 8320s will easily do 4.5~4.6Ghz, so it be a pretty good performance boost over the X6. MC just recently had them on sale for $99 if you happen to live near one. I just checked and they are currently $129 (which is a good bit cheaper then e-tailers).

I switched out my 1045 for Fx 6300 and was quite happy. The 1045 never clocked above 3.6 without mass voltage. Plus vishera IMC is better as well.

I agree, technically not a stable OC..

Yeah, one notoriously unstable program crashes to desktop while Windows and everything else runs fine...it's a stable OC. ArmA2 doesn't take full advantage of the 6 cores I have, I'm not going to an 8 core yet.

Anyway - I went back into the BIOS and played with the speeds and voltages a bit and ArmA2 has been running well lately. I didn't play with the NB speed at all, wanted to make sure everything was stable before I messed with any other settings. That's next, for sure.

go to stock and see if it crashes, just for experimental purposes.

It doesn't. I said in my last post that I've tweaked the OC back up to 4GHz and I'm not experiencing the crashes, this was after reworking from stock back up to OC.

Also, all along I've been saying I have a 1045T...it's actually a 1035T so that makes the 4GHz OC a little more impressive (to me anyway).

Back