1030 good enough for movies?

Opus131

Limp Gawd
I'm building a PC for my father with some spare parts i have around (chiefly a Ryzen 2600). Now this is the cheapest GPU i can get in my country (it can be found at around 100 euros. By comparison a 1050 goes from 300 euros and up). All my father does is surf the web and he likes to watch movies with his PC, no gaming. We are talking mostly mkv files, some encoded at H.265.

Last edited:
Yes.

I would say a cpu with built in graphics would be fine for movies.

Hell, I watched movies 20 years ago on absolute garbage.

Yes.

I would say a cpu with built in graphics would be fine for movies.

Hell, I watched movies 20 years ago on absolute garbage.
pretty sure hes asking about a gt 1030 with a ryzen 2600...

yes it will work fine for 1080p/60, not much higher.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work depending on the resolution.

Edit: See above.

Based on responses I'm seeing elsewhere, it sounds like it should do HEVC decoding just fine.

but hes working with a 2600...
I completely get it. The chip doesn't have built in graphics. My point was, based on the OPs post, he seems like video cards are expensive but maybe CPUs aren't. I would upgrade the cpu, skip the video card and carry on

Do two basic build plans. Board, proc and video. One with whatever vid card you can actually source and one with a proc that has integrated graphics. See which one is cheaper and makes more sense. Don't limit it to AMD. Intel will do just fine for video watching. H.265 is hardware accelerated starting on 6th gen Core processors. https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...hics-for-5th-generation-intel-processors.html A reasonably current i3 should tear through that job. I've got an i3-10100 in my little home file server. It was a little over $100 last fall. 4 cores, hyperthreading... it's basically an i7 from just a few years ago.

hes putting together a system with parts he has, he only needs a gpu. thats all he asked about.

A GT 1030 is significantly better than nothing. It has built in HEVC decoding, and in terms of gaming it's pretty much equivalent to a 560 Ti or a 650 Ti. The big advantage of a GT 1030 over an older card like a 560 Ti is lower power consumption, better video decoder, more modern drivers, and support for higher resolutions. So while it's only one or two tiers above integrated graphics for gaming, it's more than enough for watching movies. You could play the majority of games released before 2014 on that card, while with integrated graphics it would be more like anything before 2011 or so.

The one thing to note is that the GT 1030 can't do HEVC encoding, only decoding. That functionality is locked to higher-end models. So if he wants to encode his own movies to HEVC, he'd need a more expensive card unfortunately.

Last edited:
Look up Quadros like a K600? Just need a Displayport to HDMI cable and away you go.

Back