1024 gb SSDs- can you imagine? Any thoughts on when?

iansilv

Limp Gawd
So I hae been looking at some of these monster setups- like Ockie's nuclear powered storage rig, and I was thinking about how cool it would be to have SSD drives that were 1 TB in size instead of platter based drives. Does anyone have any idea when we might see these?

The speed and lower power consumption would be awesome.

1024/32 = 32, so we gotta double 5 times. I would say 5-8 years from now.

Flash capacities are pretty much doubling each year, so yeah. 4-6 years would be my guess.

I doubt they will be cheap at all when they come. Cheap flash is a while off, maybe in 5 years 32gb will be around $40, we may get huge size increases but I don't see the price being all that cheap.

shouldn't be too hard to fit 1TB into a 3.5" enclosure now considering they got 832gb into a 2.5" drive at CES this year. BiTMICRO wants to launch that drive in Q3

That said, it'll still be a while before anyone can afford one

Just a FYI: Usually drive capacities refer to thousands of megs or gigs, not 1024, so a "1TB" drive would be 1000GB. Or does someone know if this is different with flash?

using a 1000 base rather than 1024 is a marketing gimmick; a drive sold as 1TB would really be a ~931GiB drive. current gen SATA SSD's are sold the same way (the 32GB mtron drive has 32 billion and change bytes, which when formatted won't be 32GiB)

Back