100Mbps Broadband May Be Closer Than You Think

HardOCP News

[H] News
100Mbps broadband for $100 a month? It may be closer than you think. Hell, I already pay a hundred dollars a month for 12Mbps. Getting a bump in speed up to 100Mbps (at the same price) would be awesome.

The issue is not whether those speeds can be achieved nor is it whether broadband providers can reach 100 million homes with the service in 10 years. Docsis 3.0, which is the next generation of cable networking technology that allows operators to bond digital channels together, can easily provide 100 Mbps or more. Most major cable companies in the U.S. are well on their way to upgrading to this technology. Meanwhile, Verizon has already passed 12.2 million homes with its fiber service, which it claims can offer up to 400Mbps download speeds.

You pay way too much for your Internet Steve. We all do.

As great as that speed would be, it shouldn't be $100 a month for it. I pay $40 a month for 1.5-2.0 MBPS download and 768kbps upload and I'm lucky I can even get that.

We have a LONG ways to go here in the United States in terms of broadband development at a reasonable price/performance/value ratio IMHO at least.

Won't they have to completely re-do the network infrastructure of the entire US...? The US' infrastructure is horrible from what I can tell. The average download speed in the US now is 1.9mbps. So going from 1.9 to 100 in 10 years. We can only hope.

I'm pretty pleased with the 25Mbps, but if Verizon can deliver 400Mbps, bring it on :D

I pay 120 for 25 down and 5 up

But I'm also paying for a bussniess line :D

I'm pretty pleased with the 25Mbps, but if Verizon can deliver 400Mbps, bring it on :D

Same here, although I'm afraid to think how much Verizon will ask for 400Mbps. I had some sticker shock coming from Japan and paying $60 for a gigabit fiber link with no speed/bandwidth cap.

$100 /month for 100 Mbps? That's insane :eek:

Here in Sweden it's the equivalent of $57, including our 25% VAT (Value Added Tax).

Though I settled with 10Mb for about half that price. Don't download that much anyway.

Discounting the price - this does address that whole idea that "the internet is slow and will remain slow for the next 5-6 years."
Much like anything else, that price will come down. I just like that the speed infrastructure is there.

At this point I really think the providers need to focus more on lower latency networks than on silly speeds.

Yeah sure, most cable companies could update the software in peoples cable modems and or new modems and make substantial increases in peoples available bandwidth for very little money relative to most things you do to upgrade bandwidth but they aren't going to do that. they will upgrade to docsis 3.0, and say go from 10-12mbit a month to 15, then 20 and so forth, and charge for at basically every step of the way.

Much like anything else, that price will come down. I just like that the speed infrastructure is there.

Will it? Cox has been bumping my internet bill by $5 a year. They only improved the speed one of those years.

What is the point of all this speed if we cant use it? The bottlenecks are primarily from the server side and not the client. I never came across a 5 mb/s download.Also when I hosted a server, never got good down and up speeds which makes me question the validity of them saying these rediculusly high speeds.

We'll always be behind in broadband because our country is so big and people are so spread out. In Europe some of the countries have 3 or 4 times the population density ... making investments much more valuable to companies.

Holy hell Steve, who is your provider? :eek:

That price seems insane...are you in the sticks? :p

Insane? I pay $60 a month for 3.5Mbps, I WISH I could pay $100 for 12Mbps. As I am paying over 2 times as much per Mbps.

My cousins had 10mbit down (was advertised as 20mbit) for about $60/mo.

i'd have to build a seriously hardcore storage array to hold all the stuff i'd have if I had a 100 mbps connection . . . hmmmm

I hope it turns out to be true, it's not acceptable that i have a 60+ ping to servers in Chicago while i'm on Suddenlink while my friend has ASDL and gets pings in the 20's and he lives in the boonies!

fail

[RIP]Zeus;1035425696 said:
I pay 120 for 25 down and 5 up

But I'm also paying for a bussniess line :D

we pay about $70 for this in Topeka, KS. But - more is always better and would love to see increases here.

Without providing detail I can tell you that if you think it will be available by the end of the year it's a good bet. Well in a certain region anyway.

Just checked out the swedish ISP bredbandsbolaget site and they offer 100mbit for 320kr / month which is 44,7$ a month...

Insane? I pay $60 a month for 3.5Mbps, I WISH I could pay $100 for 12Mbps. As I am paying over 2 times as much per Mbps.

I'm paying $40 for 16Mbps down and 2Mbps up. Unfortunately I'm on Comcraptic but all in all, its not a bad service for internet. I tend to get 2.5MB/s down consistently, so performance is pretty good. :cool:

Wow, and all this time I thought Comcast was terrible in almost everyway but apparently they are pretty cheap compared to the rest of you guys. Im only paying about $50 for 16Mbps down and like 1.5 up.

Comcast is also offering a 50Mbps for $100 per month and this is here in Jacksonville, FL.

One concept I heard bandied about, and I'm paraphrasing poorly I'm sure, was this idea that once TV had gone all digital that leftover bandwidth could be used for the Internet and be theoretically as easy to "grab" out of the air.

If that's really the case, obviously I expect all the ISPs to fight against that tooth and nail for the same reason we'll never see a la carte per channel programming choices from content providers: They couldn't control it and charge nearly as much for it.

I'm sure some more technical folks can set me straight on any of this if I got it wrong. :)

And Comcast will still have 250GB limit :)

I always thought that was a huge downside to Comcast but I feel like im pretty happy paying half the price as some of you and getting upwards of 10x faster speeds. Im actually pretty curious as to how much of that 250GB limit I use, because I feel like I download a shit ton of movies/music every month. Im also always on hulu watching Lost, The Office, Family Guy, and Cleveland show.

I always thought that was a huge downside to Comcast but I feel like im pretty happy paying half the price as some of you and getting upwards of 10x faster speeds. Im actually pretty curious as to how much of that 250GB limit I use, because I feel like I download a shit ton of movies/music every month. Im also always on hulu watching Lost, The Office, Family Guy, and Cleveland show.

If you're running DD-WRT v24-SP1 or higher you have access to the traffic monitor to verify usage on a monthly basis. Good tool to have for Comcraptic customers.

Just as a heads up, I've gone over the 250GB cap and haven't received so much as an email saying so. Not sure if they care or not. My guess is, they want that card in their back pocket though.

If you're running DD-WRT v24-SP1 or higher you have access to the traffic monitor to verify usage on a monthly basis. Good tool to have for Comcraptic customers.

Just as a heads up, I've gone over the 250GB cap and haven't received so much as an email saying so. Not sure if they care or not. My guess is, they want that card in their back pocket though.

Thanks Pyro, I'll definitely have to check that out when I get out of class.

You can. Its right on their web site. They will show you, your last 3 months of use.

as soon as they get some docsis3 modems in im going to be pulling in 36 meg down....of course they havent had modems in stock in weeks....yay suddenlink....

I had a 100mbps cable for well over a year for
54USD (39.89€), but now I'm in another city and have to resort to using 12mbps ADSL

What a downgrade :)

Sure 100mb is great, with a 250G cap, sure, you can hit your cap in a day or less!

what good is faster internet when these companies want to cap it all, and next it will be metered internet. What bothers me about that is who is going to pay for all that spam you get, all those ad's on websites you don't want to see and so on...

normally the ISP wont notify you if your not constantly hitting that 250G wall.

Back