100hz and screen tearing

Nirk

n00b
Hello,

I am thinking of getting a nice quality 32 LCD tv... The question is if I get a 100hz tv will this reduce screen tearing when usign xbox 360 or PC games?

I plan to use the tv as my PC monitor and was wondering if its worth paying the extra for 100hz for both image smoothness and mainly screen tearing.

Do you mean 120hz? If the TV isn't being advertised as 3D capable, it is safe to assume that it can't take a 120hz input (all those 120, 240, 400hz TVs can only take 60hz input - with the exception of the 3D ready TVs).

Even if the TV can actually take higher than 60hz input, you won't get less tearing with the 360 which can't output more than 60hz anyway (even then most games run at ~30fps).

I dont mean a 3D ready tv as they are too expensive and I want to see if 3D actually takes off or is just a gimmick...

So you think my best bet is to get a good quality 60hz lcd tv as the 100hz ones (as opposed to 120hz etc.) can only actually take 60hz then add frames in or something to make it 100hz (which isnt true 100hz anyway?) Even from a pc source? Ok so xbox 360 can only output 60 hz but what about PC via DVI-HDMI?

Sounds like 100hz lcd tvs will make no difference to screen tearing then and the only option would be to spend a lot more (then I can afford at the moment) on a 120 hz 3d ready tv?

I dont mean a 3D ready tv as they are too expensive and I want to see if 3D actually takes off or is just a gimmick...

So you think my best bet is to get a good quality 60hz lcd tv as the 100hz ones (as opposed to 120hz etc.) can only actually take 60hz then add frames in or something to make it 100hz (which isnt true 100hz anyway?) Even from a pc source? Ok so xbox 360 can only output 60 hz but what about PC via DVI-HDMI?

Sounds like 100hz lcd tvs will make no difference to screen tearing then and the only option would be to spend a lot more (then I can afford at the moment) on a 120 hz 3d ready tv?

That's correct.

To reduce screen tearing you need a 120hz monitor, as it uses dual-link DVI which supplies sufficient bandwidth to get a true 100hz or 120hz signal, so you won't get that bandwidth from HDMI - DVI connector.

Screen tearing would still exist on PS3 or Xbox 360. I have seen it on my 120hz monitor through HDMI, and to be honest, it seemed worse than a 60hz screen. Not sure why.

You can still get a 100/120hz TV, but for PC use and console gaming you'd want to turn off that 100/120hz feature as it adds input lag and can actually make gaming worse.

Thanks for that ... very helpfull :)

I have just been doing a bit of research as its annoying having to choose between having input laggy mouse or screen tearing, I have only tried it on a couple of games so far but I think I have found an answer / compromise.....

If you use VSYNC ON and also triple buffering ON but set max pre rendered frames to either 1 or 0 then it seems to give very minimal input lag whilst still syncing at 60 hz and 0 tearing. :)

Cheers for the advice on the tvs I think I will jsut go for the best quality 32 inch tv using "old" technology (no LED backlight or 100hz) as I have seen a samsung one and a sony one which look pretty good and are only about £400.

DO you know which 32 inch lcds have the best input lag for gaming anyone?

I'm not sure I've ever seen a 100Hz LCD TV for sale. Is that a regional thing?

You get 100Hz televisions in the areas of the world that use the PAL broadcasts as that is 25 fps interlaced. 100 is a multiple of 50. You won't see them in North America.

But not an integer multiple of 24, which is the whole point of 120Hz in the first place...

Here's a link to the input lag thread on AVSForum for TVs. It may give you some good info concerning a prospective TV purchase.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1131464&highlight=input+lag+thread

Thanks for that ... very helpfull :)

I have just been doing a bit of research as its annoying having to choose between having input laggy mouse or screen tearing, I have only tried it on a couple of games so far but I think I have found an answer / compromise.....

If you use VSYNC ON and also triple buffering ON but set max pre rendered frames to either 1 or 0 then it seems to give very minimal input lag whilst still syncing at 60 hz and 0 tearing. :)

Cheers for the advice on the tvs I think I will jsut go for the best quality 32 inch tv using "old" technology (no LED backlight or 100hz) as I have seen a samsung one and a sony one which look pretty good and are only about £400.

DO you know which 32 inch lcds have the best input lag for gaming anyone?

Back