1000w PSU choices for gaming w/ 3080 Ti

Code_Man

n00b
Hardforum Team,

I am trying to learn / research all I can about gaming PSU's in the 1000w range for future expandability and my card of choice is going to be a 3080 Ti. My main choices so far are as follows:

1. Seasonic Prime Titanium TX 1000w​

2. Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 1000w​

3. Thermaltake Toughpower PF1 ARGB 1000w​

Please let me know your Pros' and Con's of said PSU's!

Thanks,

Seasonic is highly rated. Never heard of Super Flower so I can't attest to or against it. Thermaltake's are not bad, but don't waste your money on ARGB for a PSU - especially in the Fractal Torrent, the PSU shroud will hide it and you won't even see the PSU itself.

Seasonic is highly rated. Never heard of Super Flower so I can't attest to or against it. Thermaltake's are not bad, but don't waste your money on ARGB for a PSU - especially in the Fractal Torrent, the PSU shroud will hide it and you won't even see the PSU itself.
Truth... I didn't think about the shroud blocking the RGB viewing. Good call.

What about the Seasonic 1000w fan less model. I'm worried the heat will get to it since the top is covered.
The bottom of the PSU shroud is vented so you can have the fan facing downward to move air. I wouldn't recommend the fanless for a high-wattage PSU like you're thinking of.

i dont trust TT psus after having two fail just out of warranty.
seasonic is great, superflower is a well known oem that others rebrand also really good. cant go wrong with either of those. i also like silverstone psus. you can get the superflower on newegg for $200 after the sale price and promo code. its advantage is the "super connector" just jam your cables into any of the 9pin ports.
fanless just means the fan turns off at minimal loads, itll be fine.

i dont trust TT psus after having two fail just out of warranty.
seasonic is great, superflower is a well known oem that others rebrand also really good. cant go wrong with either of those. i also like silverstone psus. you can get the superflower on newegg for $200 after the sale price and promo code. its advantage is the "super connector" just jam your cables into any of the 9pin ports.
fanless just means the fan turns off at minimal loads, itll be fine.
Gotcha. Yep will now its down to either Seasonic or Superflower. Thanks for the feedback.

Agree with the above. I'd add that the Seasonic focus gold and platinum units are equally good and will save you a fair bit of money compared to the titanium.

Agree with the above. I'd add that the Seasonic focus gold and platinum units are equally good and will save you a fair bit of money compared to the titanium.
Does clean energy really matter that much from GOLD - TITANIUM? Does it soak up a lot of grid power? Will the energy bill go up or is it all a marketing ploy with minimal differences? Cause Gold is much cheaper.

Super flower is good I believe some are used by EVGA (I would look at their PSU too)

Does clean energy really matter that much from GOLD - TITANIUM? Does it soak up a lot of grid power? Will the energy bill go up or is it all a marketing ploy with minimal differences? Cause Gold is much cheaper.
No not at all. The gold, platinum, titanium designations are efficiency ratings for the power supplies (see link). The differences are tiny. The build quality may be slightly different between models but if your buying from a solid manufacturer like Seasonic that builds quality at all three levels g/p/t theres nothing to worry about.
SuperFlower is a really good oem but EVGA uses a lot of different manufacturers, so you have to dig around reviews to find out who builds what. Or, go to their forums and see if you can find a thread about the unit your interested in.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/what-80-plus-levels-mean,36721.html

No not at all. The gold, platinum, titanium designations are efficiency ratings for the power supplies (see link). The differences are tiny. The build quality may be slightly different between models but if your buying from a solid manufacturer like Seasonic that builds quality at all three levels g/p/t theres nothing to worry about.
SuperFlower is a really good oem but EVGA uses a lot of different manufacturers, so you have to dig around reviews to find out who builds what. Or, go to their forums and see if you can find a thread about the unit your interested in.

To add to this, the difference between Bronze and Gold is more significant than from Gold to Platinum, etc. and I can't think of a single PSU I've seen for sale that has a Silver rating. Do pay attention to build quality between brands, but within the same brand as stated there should be minimal quality differences.

Thank you for the information. I will continue to do my research and start looking at GOLD standards and see if it fits the bill price / performance in mind.

Thank you for the information. I will continue to do my research and start looking at GOLD standards and see if it fits the bill price / performance in mind.
EVGA has recently introduced the fully-modular SuperNOVA G7 80 PLUS Gold-certified ATX power supply series with integrated system load indicator LED bars. The power supplies measure only 130 mm deep while featuring a half-bridge LLC Resonant Controller with a DC-DC design and 100% Japanese capacitors. These components are cooled by a 120 mm Fluid Dynamic Bearing fan with all models supporting a silent mode when operating at below 50% power draw. The indicator LED bars display real-time system power draw information as one of five levels in 20% increments. The EVGA SuperNova G7 is now available in four configurations consisting of 650 W (159.99 USD), 750 W (169.99 USD), 850 W (189.99 USD), and 1000 W (239.99 USD) with all models backed by a 10-year warranty.

EVGA has recently introduced the fully-modular SuperNOVA G7 80 PLUS Gold-certified ATX power supply series with integrated system load indicator LED bars. The power supplies measure only 130 mm deep while featuring a half-bridge LLC Resonant Controller with a DC-DC design and 100% Japanese capacitors. These components are cooled by a 120 mm Fluid Dynamic Bearing fan with all models supporting a silent mode when operating at below 50% power draw. The indicator LED bars display real-time system power draw information as one of five levels in 20% increments. The EVGA SuperNova G7 is now available in four configurations consisting of 650 W (159.99 USD), 750 W (169.99 USD), 850 W (189.99 USD), and 1000 W (239.99 USD) with all models backed by a 10-year warranty.
Whoooo buddy. That sounds like a prime choice right there!

Its interesting buuut we don't know who the oem is for certain yet. Some believe its FSP but don't hold them in the highest regard. So try to hold off for a few days to see a review or two before you pull the trigger.

Yes, thanks for the warning. Not close to buying the PSU yet. I'll try to find out who the OEM is first before considering.

EVGA 10 yr warranty is great, I wouldn't worry about OEM too much.
No. Just no. Warranty means nothing if you have keep RMAing a unit for failing.
Always know who the oem is. The difference between superflower and meic, for example is massive. You couldn't pay me to run an meic built psu in even my lowest level rig. SF? I'd happily run any of their units in mine or my clients rigs. The oem is everything.

As a scientist I would look at MTBF for long term reliability decisions, I have never had a PS fail, again I do not go cheap on brands(EVGA, Seasonic branded units only).

Still have time to decide on which PSU to get. Will be going for storage next and/or RAM if G.Skill gets back in stock.

Superflower is very good about on par with Seasonic.

Looking at your first post I would rank the power supplies you are looking to choose in that same order of my recommendation.

Superflower is I'm one of my folding rigs. Picked up a 1300w at black Friday. I run 3 2080 ti's and a 9900kf. No power issues at all. EVGA power supplies that are made by Superflower are top notch.

Yes the 10 year warranty is nice. If I have a psy last that long before a upgrade then I'll be happy but like mentioned what a warranty worth if you have to keep sending them back in.

Its interesting buuut we don't know who the oem is for certain yet. Some believe its FSP but don't hold them in the highest regard. So try to hold off for a few days to see a review or two before you pull the trigger.
I bought this one recently since the price was really good, you have a link to a site that lists OEM's?
EVGA-1600-order.jpg

The G2, P2, and T2 are all from superflower. I have a G2 and P2 myself, they have been bulletproof for me.

I bought this one recently since the price was really good, you have a link to a site that lists OEM's?
View attachment 486139
Yep, like Starfalcon said the 2 series are all SuperFlower built and are probably the psu series that put EVGA on the map. They are as good as it gets.
Unfortunately I don't know of any place that has a list of who builds what anymore. Since Jonnyguru closed up his website and forum, I just wait for reputable reviews mostly.

The Seasonic Fanless units are spectacular PSUs. I have a 600w unit and it's a challenge to get it to feel even vaguely warm. Unfortunately, I don't think you can effectively use one in a Torrent, because you have to be able to vent a fanless upwards for passive cooling. The Torrent doesn't allow for that.

Reactions: xx0xx
like this
I've got the maingear/microcenter 1200 platinum psu in my 3090/11900k build right now and haven't had any issues. They sell them on amazon with coupons for 190-200 all the time which isn't too bad imo.

I got this Corsair HX1000 for my new build. I think Seasonic makes Corsair PSUs... or the other way around.
Those are built by CWT as are almost all of Corsairs top dogs. They are excellent units from what I've seen.

You juuuust missed Corsairs latest release. They came out with their 2022 HX1500i/1000i platinum rated all digital press release yesterday.
$260 at the Corsair website.

https://www.techpowerup.com/296760/corsair-announces-the-2022-hxi-power-supply-series

Those are built by CWT as are almost all of Corsairs top dogs. They are excellent units from what I've seen.

You juuuust missed Corsairs latest release. They came out with their 2022 HX1500i/1000i platinum rated all digital press release yesterday.
$260 at the Corsair website.

https://www.techpowerup.com/296760/corsair-announces-the-2022-hxi-power-supply-series
Nice, but I got my HX1000 for only $160, brand new/sealed, from a Staples sale back in February. ;)

Back