1000W PS Not cutting it on TR4 Setup?

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
I have a seasonic 1kw ps for my main computer and I don't think it will like my new upgrade.

Currently
AMD TR 3960x
64GB RAM
2x 2TB PCIe 4 M.2 drives
3x 3.2TB PCIe Fusion IO Drive
NVIdia a4000 RTX Video Card
Asus Raid Pro Strix Sound Card
AIO Liquid Cooler w/2fans
Sun 2x 10GB NIC
AMD TR4 Mobo

Want to Upgrade to AMD 6950 vid card.

Suggestions?

Are you planning to overclock? See what I have in my sig on my PUP 1kw. CPU is ~350W max and so is the GPU. No problems from the PSU and fully maxed out I got around 900W on the wall side. While the fusions do run better with the 75W mode enabled, they don't actually seem to use much more than the default 25W.

If you're OCing, things might get a little close for comfort, but not like a SS unit is going to release its magic smoke at 1kw+.

No overclocking.

Just wondering with all the accessories and a new AMD 6950 if I will need more juice.

You should be OK, this is my 3960 under full CPU load, all 48 cores.
threadrip_power.jpg

I have a similar TR4 system.

When I max load both my CPU (stock settings) and my GPU (highly overclocked) at the same time, the most I've ever pulled from the wall is about 880w (measured using my Kill-A-Watt)

I also have 24 fans (which use a surprising amount of power) and three D5 pumps contributing to that load.

Unless you are doing something extreme, I think you'll be fine with a 1000W PSU, as long as it is a good one, and it isn't too old, to the point where the capacitors are starting to age and perform worse.

Yeah, you're fine - My max is about 640W with a stupidly overclocked 6800XT and a 3960X. And I've got 128G in there.

OK, you talked me into it. Just bought a AMD 6950XT and it should be here by wed.

Wonder how well Icewind Dale will run now....

Surprised at how cheap they are.

It also depends on how old that Seasonic is and the build quality. I had that happen with Silverstone 1000 watt, it was about 5 years old at the time and couldn't handle the upgraded components because it couldn't match it's original outputs. You'll never know until you try it though. Have a Corsair AX1200i that's 10 years old and has handled every upgrade I've thrown at it in comparison.

OK, you talked me into it. Just bought a AMD 6950XT and it should be here by wed.

Lol. Isn't that game like 20 years old? One would think it would run great on an iGPU in 2022.

I have a similar system but with a RTX 3090 and 6.4 tb fusion IOs and my killawatt showed 918 watts loaded out have a 1300 watt power supply though, have air cooling with noctua and extra fans for the fusion ios.

I just started playing this again, it does run great on my 6900XT.

I have a similar system but with a RTX 3090 and 6.4 tb fusion IOs and my killawatt showed 918 watts loaded out have a 1300 watt power supply though, have air cooling with noctua and extra fans for the fusion ios.
But does it run Icewind Dale?

Is the power bad where you live ?
We have a power event at least once a month. Usually only a couple of minutes if that. But that beeping makes me crazy lol. It also doesn't help that I have almost everything electronic and of value in my house on UPSs.

We have a power event at least once a month. Usually only a couple of minutes if that. But that beeping makes me crazy lol. It also doesn't help that I have almost everything electronic and of value in my house on UPSs.
Oh yeah, sounds a bit rougher than around here. Bumps that beep are rare, I hear the damn things go into battery check (the relays, fan comes on) click a lot more that they beep.

Back