1000Base-SX fiber question

sandmanx

[H]F Junkie
I'm using a fiber link to connect 2 buildings together with 800 ft of multimode fiber. This was running 100Base-FX, but one of the media converters was sitting in a puddle of water after hurricane Ike came though this area a couple of weeks ago, so I figured this is a good time to upgrade the link to gigabit ethernet.

I'm looking at using a Dell PowerConnect 2748 with a SFP Optical Transceiver in the switch and one of these: http://www.lanshack.com/VELOCITY-10...SC-Multimode-Gigabit-Converter-P2262C213.aspx on the other end, which will plug into a Dell PowerConnect 2708.

Does anyone here have any experience with 1000Base-SX and know of any problems with this setup?

Edit: I also realized I could get a Dell PowerConnect 2724 with a SFP Transceiver for about the same price, maybe that would be a better setup?

I'd get another 2724 for the other end also. Super easy to do.

Oh and if you are needing two LC-SC jumpers with couplers, let me know... or anything else, I have tons of them.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I plan on getting a 2724 on the other end now, which will actually make it slightly cheaper than screwing with media converters.

I'd get another 2724 for the other end also. Super easy to do.

Oh and if you are needing two LC-SC jumpers with couplers, let me know... or anything else, I have tons of them.

Actually I'll need LC-ST jumpers/couplers. It doesn't look like I'll be ordering anything for a day or two at least.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I plan on getting a 2724 on the other end now, which will actually make it slightly cheaper than screwing with media converters.

Actually I'll need LC-ST jumpers/couplers. It doesn't look like I'll be ordering anything for a day or two at least.

I don't know where I got it from, I could have sworn it said somewhere you had SC ends... must be too much coffee. I don't have any ST ends, threw them out a long time ago, but they shouldn't be hard to come by, especially on ebay.

I don't know where I got it from, I could have sworn it said somewhere you had SC ends... must be too much coffee. I don't have any ST ends, threw them out a long time ago, but they shouldn't be hard to come by, especially on ebay.

I didn't know anything about end connectors when I got the cable a couple years ago and ended up with the ST ends. I've already found a place to convert from ST to LC though, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the feedback.

One issue might be the distance. SX has a 500 meter range, which is 640 feet, so you might run into some issues with that distance and SX lasers. Plus is you are using mechanical adapters such as the ST to LC converter, that will add additional loss.

500 meters = 1640.42 feet

Back