$100 Paypal Gift to Anyone Who Can Solve This Problem

weuntouchable

[H]ard|Gawd
Background: The business I work at has a server running Windows Small Business Server Essentials 2011 (built on 2008 R2, uses Wizards for most setup). Remote Web Access was working up until about 6 weeks ago when our router died. I switched out the router with an Asus RT-AC68U router and tried turning back on web access. I could not get remote web access to come back on and found numerous threads saying there was a problem with the router UPNP and setting up Remote Web Access on 2008 based offerings (WHS & SBS being the main culprits). So I swapped out the Asus for a Netgear R7000. Somehow the Asus router settings are still showing when I try to setup Remote Web Access using the Netgear router (see image):

2n6fdz9.jpg

When trying to run the Wizard (which is the only way I know of to turn on Remote Web Access) the following occurs:

1) Option to configure the router checkbox can be checked or unchecked and same problem occurs.

2) Wizard quickly goes through configuring website, certificate, and firewall. Hangs on "Setting up the router". Again does not matter if I have the box checked to configure router or not. I have let it run for hours, so it is hanging.

What I have tried:

1) Turned on UPNP on router, turned off UPNP on router.

2) Forwarded ports 80 & 443 to static server IP address, did not forward ports 80 & 443 to static server IP address.

3) Changed LAN address for router and server.

4) Factory reset router and tried running wizard with default factory settings.

5) Rebooted server & router dozens of times each. Both hard and soft reboots.

6) Tried Asus router again with restored factory settings before returning to store.

I get no error messages, it simply hangs with the progress bar cycling. I'm hoping someone knows of a way to completely blow up the remote web access settings so that I can run the wizard with no settings in place. I will pay $100 via gift Paypal to anyone who can get it working (first correctly posted solution gets paid, even if others follow with same solution. If multiple people contribute pieces that solve the problem the prize is split evenly). Reinstalling or upgrading the OS is not a viable solution to the problem! I'm well aware that this option exists and will use it as a last resort

This thread discusses the problem a little more: http://social.microsoft.com/forums/...221-b059-fa323b044ae6/setting-up-router-hangs

Payment will occur immediately after I have a viable solution that is working for 48 hours.

Last edited:
Check the log files in C:\Program Files\Small Business Server (I think).
There is a log for the console and I think there is also one for the wizard that may point you in the right place.

I agree it may be a loop back issue. Also check local DNS to see if it resolves the domain you are using correctly. And I would also consider forwarding the ports manually (TCP 80 and 443 to the IP of the server) rather than enable UPNP.

locally from the server:

turn-off upnp
flush dns
release ip
set different static ip
register dns
disable re-enable network adapter
check to see if it works

also try rebooting with network adapter disabled

I use my remote web access with a RT-N66U so i'd image your router would be similar. The RWA wizard is kinda buggy sometime RWA will work even though the wizard says its off!

Last edited:
Server is probably resolving FQDN to WAN IP which it can't access from LAN.

Easiest way to attempt to fix this is add an entry to resolve FQDN to server LAN IP in hosts file located at 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS' then rerun the Wizard.

disconnect the router, open the sbs wizard, do a connect to internet (it will fail on trying to connect to the router, since it's unplugged) and mention something about configuring manually. connect router, forward ports manually, fix my network from sbs wizard.

eh, reading fail, I missed the essentials part of the text. Might still be the same options, I've only setup essentials once though.

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the replies. I will start attempting the fixes later today once I get caught up on the real work. I will start at the top and keep going with direct replies to every suggestion.

Do a manual config and forward TCP 80, 443,987,65510 and 65515 to your server, according to google that may work.
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/...uter-setup-checkbox-not-working?forum=whs2011
From what I can tell you need to specify a FQDN (external IP) and your router needs to support NAT loopback.
http://superuser.com/questions/731263/nat-loopback-stops-working-after-a-few-days - which it doesn't seem to do...
//Danne

Opening and forwarding above ports does not fix the problem. Thank you for the suggestion.

Is the router responding on the ports that you want the server to respond on, if it is, then move the routers web admin / other stuff to different ports, like say 8080 for web admin.

Worth a shot.

Check the log files in C:\Program Files\Small Business Server (I think).
There is a log for the console and I think there is also one for the wizard that may point you in the right place.

I agree it may be a loop back issue. Also check local DNS to see if it resolves the domain you are using correctly. And I would also consider forwarding the ports manually (TCP 80 and 443 to the IP of the server) rather than enable UPNP.

Checked server logs and I can see the activity, but it doesn't give any insight as to why its stuck or what cfg (or other files) it is attempting to alter.

I have disabled UPNP on the router and manually forwarded the ports. It does not fix the problem.

Thank you for your suggestions.

locally from the server:

turn-off upnp
flush dns
release ip
set different static ip
register dns
disable re-enable network adapter
check to see if it works

also try rebooting with network adapter disabled

I use my remote web access with a RT-N66U so i'd image your router would be similar. The RWA wizard is kinda buggy sometime RWA will work even though the wizard says its off!

Tried all of your suggestions and it does not fix the issue. I'm using a Netgear R7000 in place of the Asus router.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Server is probably resolving FQDN to WAN IP which it can't access from LAN.

Easiest way to attempt to fix this is add an entry to resolve FQDN to server LAN IP in hosts file located at 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS' then rerun the Wizard.

Do I just enter the Server's Lan IP and the remote.xxx.com or do I call it something else?

I tried with the Server Lan IP and remote.xxx.com and it doesn't fix the problem.

Can you open powershell and try the command.

Enable-WssRemoteWebAccess

I get the following error message:

"The term 'Enable-WssRemoteWebAccess' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verifty that the path is correct and try again".

What make and model was the original router that worked?

Can you access the public IP of the server from the LAN? So, from the server itself or another workstation on the same LAN try to bring up the server's public IP https://<public IP address> in browser. If it doesn't work perhaps try a third party firmware that does but since flashing is risky you probably want to do it on a spare router.

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/

try it with router firewall disabled. Also is there any equipment like a modem that might be interfering?

What make and model was the original router that worked?

Can you access the public IP of the server from the LAN? So, from the server itself or another workstation on the same LAN try to bring up the server's public IP https://<public IP address> in browser. If it doesn't work perhaps try a third party firmware that does but since flashing is risky you probably want to do it on a spare router.

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/

The router that worked was a Linksys EA2700. When I originally setup that router I used the Wizard and it setup flawlessly. I can access the public IP from the LAN. I get the "Remote Web Access is Turned Off" message.

Based on getting the Remote Web Access is Turned Off message I think my router settings are good. I believe the problem is Windows Small Business Server having the settings for the Asus router and not being able to get past that and see there is a new router.

try it with router firewall disabled. Also is there any equipment like a modem that might be interfering?

I've tried disabling firewall on router and on server. There is a modem coming in, but it isn't causing any issues since I can get the Remote Web Access is Turned Off error message when trying to remote in.

I have tried bypassing the Netgear router and using just the cable modem w/ built in router>switch>network, but that doesn't change the results. Which further leads me to believe that Windows Server is the culprit.

I'd put the $100 on it being the server (double or quits)

ok, lets check the services, are all the ones that should be running, running

Now lets concentrate on IIS, are the app pools all running (if they aren't can they be started)

I'd put the $100 on it being the server (double or quits)

ok, lets check the services, are all the ones that should be running, running

Now lets concentrate on IIS, are the app pools all running (if they aren't can they be started)

All are started except one called "RemoteAppPool". Starting this pool does not solve the problem. After running the wizard again and getting to the setting up server part hanging this pool stops itself again.

those are the default port it uses. did you change the ports?

For Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials the default ports are 443 and 80. I have those forwarded and can see the server and receive a message that remote web access is turned off.

For Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials the default ports are 443 and 80. I have those forwarded and can see the server and receive a message that remote web access is turned off.

for the web page and secure web page yes. the vpn uses 1723.

"You may need to open port 1723 on your router to allow VPN connections through the router. Also, some routers require that you enable PPTP pass-through for the VPN to function correctly. For instructions about how to open the port, see the documentation from the router manufacturer."

edit: you are only trying to access the server via web page? if you put your external ip into a web browser what happens? off site of course.

can i see a screen shot of your routers port forwarding setup please.

for the web page and secure web page yes. the vpn uses 1723.

"You may need to open port 1723 on your router to allow VPN connections through the router. Also, some routers require that you enable PPTP pass-through for the VPN to function correctly. For instructions about how to open the port, see the documentation from the router manufacturer."

edit: you are only trying to access the server via web page? if you put your external ip into a web browser what happens? off site of course.

can i see a screen shot of your routers port forwarding setup please.

I'm not trying to setup a VPN. I'm only trying to turn on Remote Web Access so that I can easily allow some higher ups in the company to connect remotely to their work computer by going to the website https://remote.xxx.com. I will try and enter my IP offsite. When I type https://remote.xxx.com offsite I get the same "Remote Web Access is turned off Message" that I get when trying to access on a LAN computer. Here is the port forwarding:

25hd5w2.jpg

Last edited:
flush dns

Was going to suggest this; surprised this didn't fix it....usually when something gets 'hung' like this, it's a DNS issue (pointing to a no longer available device) and flushing the DNS fixes it.

GL

disconnect the router, open the sbs wizard, do a connect to internet (it will fail on trying to connect to the router, since it's unplugged) and mention something about configuring manually. connect router, forward ports manually, fix my network from sbs wizard.

eh, reading fail, I missed the essentials part of the text. Might still be the same options, I've only setup essentials once though.

As silly as it sounds (and I can't believe I didn't think of it myself), unplugging the Ethernet cable and running the wizard cleared out the Asus router settings. Small Business Server still thinks the router isn't configured and trying to run the wizard again causes things to hang. But, if I run the router with the Ethernet cable unplugged and let it give me error messages, then reconnect and manually forward the router ports things work. It may not be the ideal fix as SBS doesn't realize its working, but as long as it its still working in 48 hours I owe you $100 Dave99.

Thank you to everyone who offered advice. I have been putzing around with this issue for weeks and was about ready to do a server OS re-install to fix it.

Back