100 Million copies of Windows 8 sold to date?

Its not that bad. We stopped by Office Depot and noticed they were fire selling the Windows 8 non touch PCs. Funny thing was that the wife tried to touch one of the nicer ultrabooks. Hard to resist with the metro up. It was a shame they shipped it non touch. On the plus side those looking for a system to downgrade had a lot of choices.

Holy fuck another Windows 8 thread.

Again OEM sales, and VLK sales as well. SA also covers this. Sold and Deployed is another story.
Sales are sales no matter how many get deployed, It's still money in the bank ;).

The amount sold is really small when you consider the OEMs and 40 dollar discount sales are included.

this is another pointless amount that can be linked with the % of ie users

its all preloaded software since many ppl don't bother to build their own rigs

I've bought three copies for me alone (upgrades) plus 5 copies in stock.

I only bought one copy of 7 for myself.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-more-than-100-million-windows-8-licenses-sold-7000014957/

Maybe the Windows 8 situation isn't as dire as some are saying? I leave it to the reader to determine whether this is good or bad news.
There are still more Vista computers out there and will be more Vista for a long time to come. How sad, Windows 8 is a huge disappointment.

But in another story, the Windows 8 fanbois are now getting worse than the trolls. Maybe we should have them open up "their own" forum, like Apple users get.

But in another story, the Windows 8 fanbois are now getting worse than the trolls. Maybe we should have them open up "their own" forum, like Apple users get.

Well I see fanatics/trolls on both sides.

However, it is changing. Six months ago it was 90/10 against Windows 8. Now its getting more 60/40 against as more people actually try 8 and settle down with it.

Give it another 4-6 months and the againsts will be in the minority (if they aren't already if truth be known as empty vessels make the most noise etc.).

8 and its ilk will be around for the forseeable future, sure some things will change but it's pointless to just rage about something that can be altered/changed for free in about 3 minutes.

You read a lot of the 'against' posts here and elsewhere and its like they have never been able to navigate out of the Metro/Modern start screen. It's embarrassing really.

The rest of us are going "well we get on with it fine, what's the problem?"

MS is telling us all Win8 is selling and doing fabulously...hmmmm nothing wrong here. :rolleyes:

I have bought two licenses, but I haven't installed on any computers. I bought them because they were cheap.

I bought a license for $14, used it for a few weeks and loaded it on my father in laws computer. I hated it but he loves it. I would probably buy another copy if they gave me some more choices with the start menu and metro.

Taking a new computer, wiping windows 8 off it, and putting windows 7 on it instead is one of my most popular jobs right now.

Yet I bet Microsoft considers all of those computers, now running Win7, as happy Windows 8 customers :rolleyes:

Microsoft needs to wise up and give people what they want, or they will simply stop buying PCs.

So lets get this strait ...

Windows 8 release on traditional platforms of both laptops and desktops, as well as the new convertible tablet devices AND tablet devices ...

Plus ...

Microsoft forced OEM's to move to 8 immediately ...

Compared to 7 which did not have the convertable or tablet design and Microsoft allowed selling of Vista or XP until 7 SP1 came out (well over a year after release after 7)... and 8 is barely keeping pace? It sounds like 8 has a enormous advantage and still can't sell faster than 7.

Maybe the Windows 8 situation isn't as dire as some are saying? I leave it to the reader to determine whether this is good or bad news.
It is and isn't, for different segments.

Most consumers seem to accept Windows 8. There may be some effect where Windows 8 is hurting sales, but how much is very debatable. It hasn't seemed to have affected revenues much: last quarter Windows division sales were flat year over year, excluding upgrades, despite a 7% drop in PC sales.

I might have a whole fish skeleton of bones to pick about Windows 8, but I can understand how general consumers wouldn't care about most of my complaints. But that leads to...

It's early in the Win8 release cycle, but it's hard to see why businesses would adopt it at all (besides in actual tablets). This segment represents a large majority (around 2/3) of all PC with Windows sales. Windows 7 is still available in corporate licenses and in many business class systems from most major OEMs. A Windows 8 license may be purchased with a business system, but it likely includes downgrade rights from those other licenses.

**It's very possible that many millions of Windows 8 licenses sold with systems have been downgraded to Windows 7 by the purchasing corporations.**

They got a massive discount before. A lot of my friends brought it as well. I didn't.

I bought 3 copies of Windows 8 for $15. Put a copy on my friends laptop, my laptop and saving the third copy for a future desktop setup. I could never see myself paying $200 for an OS, never have.

*sigh* everyone just use whatever Phone OS they want on their desktop computers and be done with it.

I think adoption will change even more if the rumored patch contains things to make Windows 8 more like Windows 7. Lets face it, MS is looking for widespread adoption thoughout corporations and small business. The consumer market for the OS is a drop in the bucket. The only "stable" versions of the OS that were vanilla enough for the workplace were Windows XP and Windows 7. I don't think any company will adopt Windows 8 voluntarily unless support for Windows 7 is no longer available.

It is and isn't, for different segments.

Most consumers seem to accept Windows 8. There may be some effect where Windows 8 is hurting sales, but how much is very debatable. It hasn't seemed to have affected revenues much: last quarter Windows division sales were flat year over year, excluding upgrades, despite a 7% drop in PC sales.

I might have a whole fish skeleton of bones to pick about Windows 8, but I can understand how general consumers wouldn't care about most of my complaints. But that leads to...

It's early in the Win8 release cycle, but it's hard to see why businesses would adopt it at all (besides in actual tablets). This segment represents a large majority (around 2/3) of all PC with Windows sales. Windows 7 is still available in corporate licenses and in many business class systems from most major OEMs. A Windows 8 license may be purchased with a business system, but it likely includes downgrade rights from those other licenses.

**It's very possible that many millions of Windows 8 licenses sold with systems have been downgraded to Windows 7 by the purchasing corporations.**
But you also have to look at all the 3rd party sales to make win 8 behave like 7.
So Win 8 sales were decent to not good(not sure?), compare that to 3rd party, and it kind of says something about 8.

funny. I think they want people to think that everyone is buying windows 8, so, everyone will buy windows 8?

But you also have to look at all the 3rd party sales to make win 8 behave like 7.
So Win 8 sales were decent to not good(not sure?), compare that to 3rd party, and it kind of says something about 8.
And that would be for those that actually know about the 3rd party tools, plus how many more don't know/or use them and are using Windows 8. I can see tens of millions of people using Windows 8, so this article isn't to far off.

Taking a new computer, wiping windows 8 off it, and putting windows 7 on it instead is one of my most popular jobs right now.

Yet I bet Microsoft considers all of those computers, now running Win7, as happy Windows 8 customers :rolleyes:

Microsoft needs to wise up and give people what they want, or they will simply stop buying PCs.
Sales are sales, no matter if it's being used or not, it's still money in the MS coffers.

I have an old platter hard drive sitting here that came out of a Pre-built PC that got upgraded to an SSD, so does that mean that Seagate shouldn't use that as a sale because it's not in actual use? Nope, It's still a sale no matter what.

Sales are sales, no matter if it's being used or not, it's still money in the MS coffers.

I have an old platter hard drive sitting here that came out of a Pre-built PC that got upgraded to an SSD, so does that mean that Seagate shouldn't use that as a sale because it's not in actual use? Nope, It's still a sale no matter what.

I definitely wasn't referring to "sales" in any way; probably why I never used that word in my post.

I definitely wasn't referring to "sales" in any way; probably why I never used that word in my post.
Your right, but MS sees most Windows 8 customers as being happy as they knew what was on it and still bought it no matter if they rolled back to a previous OS or not.
As long as people keep buying something that many consider shit then they will keep pumping it out. Hell many consider COD shit and yet people keep buying into it and that's why they keep pumping it out year after year.

If people wouldn't buy into Windows 8 then MS would have to rethink things for Windows 9 or whatever they name the next release. But nope, people keep buying it up and giving MS the impression that they are happy customers no mater if they use it or not.

I think adoption will change even more if the rumored patch contains things to make Windows 8 more like Windows 7. Lets face it, MS is looking for widespread adoption thoughout corporations and small business. The consumer market for the OS is a drop in the bucket. The only "stable" versions of the OS that were vanilla enough for the workplace were Windows XP and Windows 7. I don't think any company will adopt Windows 8 voluntarily unless support for Windows 7 is no longer available.

You are flat out wrong. If there's anything they're attempting with Windows 8 and corporations, it's trying to get them to use Windows 8/RT tablets for employees that are on the go instead of using Android or iOS tablets. Corporations, especially the larger ones, are going to stick with Windows 7, or hell, even Windows XP. Small businesses are more likely to upgrade, but they have to look at whether or not the upgrade cost is worth it. For something that would almost be identical to Windows 7, it's really not worth $150+ a license (or whatever the volume cost is). Corporations/businesses will stay on 7 until Windows 9 or 10, or maybe even 11.

You are flat out wrong. If there's anything they're attempting with Windows 8 and corporations, it's trying to get them to use Windows 8/RT tablets for employees that are on the go instead of using Android or iOS tablets. Corporations, especially the larger ones, are going to stick with Windows 7, or hell, even Windows XP. Small businesses are more likely to upgrade, but they have to look at whether or not the upgrade cost is worth it. For something that would almost be identical to Windows 7, it's really not worth $150+ a license (or whatever the volume cost is). Corporations/businesses will stay on 7 until Windows 9 or 10, or maybe even 11.

One thing that I'm finding interesting in the Great Windows 8 Debate is the chasm in how many Windows 8 opponents see the computing market and its future versus proponents. Proponents from my seem to see the computing market in much more clearly defined lines. Business versus consumer. Desktop versus tablet. Keyboard and mouse versus touch. There's definitely a philosophical element to the Windows 8 controversy that is about specialization over generalization.

One thing that I'm finding interesting in the Great Windows 8 Debate is the chasm in how many Windows 8 opponents see the computing market and its future versus proponents. Proponents from my seem to see the computing market in much more clearly defined lines. Business versus consumer. Desktop versus tablet. Keyboard and mouse versus touch. There's definitely a philosophical element to the Windows 8 controversy that is about specialization over generalization.

Business vs. Consumer. There is a huge increase of BYOD in business. Personally, I can't stand it, but it is increasing. Desktop vs. tablet. For many people, the line is shrinking. For us gamers, enthusiasts, etc.., the desktop is still very viable and required as it is the muscle machine.

So, you have this split - the common public that needs a computing device, say 85%. Then, you have us that need the full desktop experience and a portable device - 15%. Who is Microsoft/Apple/Android going to cater to? The 85%, plus get a few of the 15%.

Business vs. Consumer. There is a huge increase of BYOD in business. Personally, I can't stand it, but it is increasing. Desktop vs. tablet. For many people, the line is shrinking. For us gamers, enthusiasts, etc.., the desktop is still very viable and required as it is the muscle machine.

So, you have this split - the common public that needs a computing device, say 85%. Then, you have us that need the full desktop experience and a portable device - 15%. Who is Microsoft/Apple/Android going to cater to? The 85%, plus get a few of the 15%.

And the cool thing about Windows 8 is that is can serve all of these needs. If one can adapt to the new UI, it's all there. I always get a chuckle from those that say that Microsoft if trying to be like Apple or that the new Windows 8 UI is dumbed down yet claim to spend 15 minutes trying to figure out how to power down a laptop or can't figure out how to bring up the desktop Control Panel in two clicks like always or have to boot the desktop to click on a desktop app that can just as easily be launched from the Start Screen.

The list goes on. Windows 8 is new and it really is doing something that most people have never even thought of before the iPad. But if people are as stupid as so many seem to claim around here then what's the point of Microsoft putting resources towards the desktop. Most people are too stupid by many accounts around here to be productive anyway.

And the cool thing about Windows 8 is that is can serve all of these needs. If one can adapt to the new UI, it's all there. I always get a chuckle from those that say that Microsoft if trying to be like Apple or that the new Windows 8 UI is dumbed down yet claim to spend 15 minutes trying to figure out how to power down a laptop or can't figure out how to bring up the desktop Control Panel in two clicks like always or have to boot the desktop to click on a desktop app that can just as easily be launched from the Start Screen.

The list goes on. Windows 8 is new and it really is doing something that most people have never even thought of before the iPad. But if people are as stupid as so many seem to claim around here then what's the point of Microsoft putting resources towards the desktop. Most people are too stupid by many accounts around here to be productive anyway.
Windows 8 isn't hard to figure out, it just has stuff that isn't needed or doesn't even work.
Touch screens suck personally, which is why I have a keyboard on my phone.
Touch is good for touch devices, but most desktops, AFAIK, don't have them.

Windows 8 has good upgrades from 7, but was it really needed to put in metro? No.

OS for desktop/laptop and 1 for touch devices. Best of both worlds IMO.

Back