100 mbit is not enough

dgz

Supreme [H]ardness
You're "gone" for a few days and suddenly everything has to update and it takes forever.

Cant play properly with 50-90 because I want things to download in the background.
These days most significant updates are new build of the entire game with your config and progress (in single player games) saved.

Gigabit should do it but I don't want to pay for it.

Luckily my ISP has this xmas tradition of unlocking the speeds for their fibre customers, unfortunately the router that came with it even struggles to reach 1Gbit :p Seems to have changed to unlocked speeds as of today in my case.

Currently paying 29,90 € for unlimited 100/100Mbit. Could also get 500/100 for a bit more but don't need more download speeds or at least I'd want 250 upload if so.

I'm currently enjoying 300/300 fibre. If I wanted to pay more I could upgrade to 750/750 or 950/750 with my ISP.
I just moved and had 75/30 adsl at my old place so I feel like wanting any more than what I have now is just gluttony.

I have charter 1 gig...on a good day I can hit 700 most days it about 500. So not worth going form 200 down at $54 a month to 550 at 129 a month

I'm very lucky that finally after years later than originally planned Verizon FIOS came to my city. I started off at 150/150 which was the best available at the time (Second best, actually, but at the time 250+ meant a HUGE jump in price. the family also enjoys a pretty hefty cable package, including all the mainline movie/premium channels), which was able to be updated to 300 and then finally to 950/950 as those speeds became available -all without an increase in price! I admit there is some sort of diminishing return once you hit 300/300 where previously each jump (prior to the 150, I was paying a lot more for 100/?? cable, the best available even with my own DOCSIS 3.0 modem at the time) felt a lot larger. However, since I've been above 300 and close to near 1000 for awhile, games and other content have grown larger and larger with more and more updates...so maybe even 300 would feel by comparison quite slower .

I'd still very much prefer public fiber and wish my town would look into it not just for the cost or performance, but for the ethos thereof versus supporting Verizon or other major telecoms. I definitely feel horrid for anyone using slower broadband and especially those with any sort of caps. Lobby your local government to look into public broadband; especially if telecoms nearby are giving horrid service it should be easier to justify a major need in terms of performance, not just cost and other factors.

I don't think my ethernet network goes faster than 100Mbit. Or is it 100MB I get confused lol

I’ve got 1gig with att. Steam can peg out at 50MB/s download and it’s awesome. Origin and epic only give me around 8mbit. It’s stupid. Downloading BFV sucked.

I recently got gigabit and I love it, but the only thing is most servers just can't even get close to maxing it. IMHO if you don't have a lot of people in your household using your connection simultaneously, anything more than about 300mbps is overkill. Steam maxes out at around an occasional burst of up to 65MB/s or about 500mbps, GoG downloader (not galaxy) I couldn't get over 50MB/s or about 400mbps, and other than speed tests which rate my connection at 875mbps down/950mbps up, I don't really see speeds from other sites exceeding about 375 mbps (around 47MB/s). So the real only advantage of gigabit, is if you are downloading a game on steam, you are still only using at most around half your bandwidth, so anyone else using bandwidth won't even notice at all.

I’ve got 1gig with att. Steam can peg out at 50MB/s download and it’s awesome. Origin and epic only give me around 8mbit. It’s stupid. Downloading BFV sucked.

I've had gigabit for 3 years.

For me steam usually maxes out under 10, but I've gone 80 on the Epic launcher and nearly maxed out on Origin a few times. Although it seems like they were faster 3 years ago. Maybe because other people's internet has been getting faster and saturating their servers.

It is really nice being able to torrent at over 10MB/s while streaming 4k hdr and it not effecting my gaming ping or coming close to saturating my connection.

The upload is also really nice, I couldn't stand going back to the pathetic cable speeds after being used to fiber.

25 Mbit is plenty. 4k streaming is really what drives how much bandwidth you need.

I have 1000/1000 available but don't have any need for it. FiOS bumped me to 75/75 last week for free.

25 Mbit is plenty. 4k streaming is really what drives how much bandwidth you need.

I have 1000/1000 available but don't have any need for it. FiOS bumped me to 75/75 last week for free.
25 Mbps is 1080p bandwidth. If 4K was really driving bandwidth then 100 Mbps would be the standard. I mean, unless you enjoy your video content being highly compressed and interpolated.

25 Mbps is 1080p bandwidth. If 4K was really driving bandwidth then 100 Mbps would be the standard. I mean, unless you enjoy your video content being highly compressed and interpolated.
Netflix recommends 25 Mbps for 4k. I have also read that 4k uses about 7 GB per hour which equates to 15.56 Mbps.

high quality 4k HDR in x265 is only 25 Mbps

And that isn't even streaming, that's the highest quality bluray rips with multiple 8 channel audio tracks.

You're "gone" for a few days and suddenly everything has to update and it takes forever.

Cant play properly with 50-90 because I want things to download in the background.
These days most significant updates are new build of the entire game with your config and progress (in single player games) saved.

Gigabit should do it but I don't want to pay for it.

I agree.

I'm very lucky that finally after years later than originally planned Verizon FIOS came to my city. I started off at 150/150 which was the best available at the time (Second best, actually, but at the time 250+ meant a HUGE jump in price. the family also enjoys a pretty hefty cable package, including all the mainline movie/premium channels), which was able to be updated to 300 and then finally to 950/950 as those speeds became available -all without an increase in price! I admit there is some sort of diminishing return once you hit 300/300 where previously each jump (prior to the 150, I was paying a lot more for 100/?? cable, the best available even with my own DOCSIS 3.0 modem at the time) felt a lot larger. However, since I've been above 300 and close to near 1000 for awhile, games and other content have grown larger and larger with more and more updates...so maybe even 300 would feel by comparison quite slower .

I'd still very much prefer public fiber and wish my town would look into it not just for the cost or performance, but for the ethos thereof versus supporting Verizon or other major telecoms. I definitely feel horrid for anyone using slower broadband and especially those with any sort of caps. Lobby your local government to look into public broadband; especially if telecoms nearby are giving horrid service it should be easier to justify a major need in terms of performance, not just cost and other factors.

I disagree 1 Gbps fiber has a huge advantage if you have a big family and everyone is using the internet at the same time.

That doesn't sound right I always get faster speed with Origin.

I've had gigabit for 3 years.

For me steam usually maxes out under 10, but I've gone 80 on the Epic launcher and nearly maxed out on Origin a few times. Although it seems like they were faster 3 years ago. Maybe because other people's internet has been getting faster and saturating their servers.

It is really nice being able to torrent at over 10MB/s while streaming 4k hdr and it not effecting my gaming ping or coming close to saturating my connection.

The upload is also really nice, I couldn't stand going back to the pathetic cable speeds after being used to fiber.

What is it like when you go from your home connection to cellular 4g lte connection ? Does it seem super slow ?

:):):)

Attachments

• IMG_20181129_232349.jpg
    IMG_20181129_232349.jpg
    588.1 KB · Views: 0
What is it like when you go from your home connection to cellular 4g lte connection ? Does it seem super slow ?

On my att fiber everything but origin and epic is insane speeds. Steam is typically hitting 50MB/s. I guess I need to double check that origin / epic isn’t trying to download to one of my spinning drives.

400Mb/s here. It is plenty for me, Steam hits 50MB/s and other servers seem to give what they can, but Steam has been the fastest. Netflix streaming in Dolby Vision/Atmos is great.

high quality 4k HDR in x265 is only 25 Mbps

And that isn't even streaming, that's the highest quality bluray rips with multiple 8 channel audio tracks.
Your standard 50GB UHD Blu-ray has a video bitrate of 40-50 Mbps. A triple layer UHD Blu-ray theoretically supports a maximum video bitrate of 100 Mbps. Add about 25-30 Mbps for the audio. At 100 Mbps that is still a compression ratio of 60:1 at 24 Hz in the best case scenario. Your "high quality" 4K HDR x265 encode is compressed 240:1, or 8 times more than a triple layer UHD Blu-ray, at the same frame rate.

I have FIOS gigabit (or close to it).

I have had exactly ONE outage in the last 5 years I've had it, and even that may have been my routers fault.

The backup battery has been bad for years though :) They want WAY too much money for theirs.

I'll probably just buy a $99 UPS 750 or so and have 4 times the backup capacity.

That doesn't sound right I always get faster speed with Origin.
This might depend on location, he may be further away from an origin data center than Steam. I get about the same speeds for both...then again my cable blows and im getting like 60-80 Mbps and am supposed to be getting 100. Sucks living near a university.

Perfectly happy with 150/10 through Comcast. I wouldn't mind a higher data cap though, currently limited to 1TB/mo.

Just pay for unlimited one month and go crazy!

I've never actually hit the limit, closest I've come is around 850GB, but I don't like the anxiety of worrying about it in the first place.

At my last house I had AT&T UVerse with a 250GB/mo limit. I would routinely go over the limit but thankfully they were not actively enforcing the limit. So glad I don't have to deal with UVerse anymore. I think the best bandwidth they could provide me was something like 18mbit, and I had to use their stupid residential gateway hardware.

I have unlimited data on a 100/10 cable connection. They offer gigabit / 50 but with a 1tb cap :( I use 4tb per month on average now.

How are you measuring how much data you use? I don't think I have come across it on FiOS site when I log in.

Back