100% LHR unlock. Things just got outta hand!

KickAssCop

[H]F Junkie
Nicehash unlocks full LHR on V2 LHR cards better than any other miners before it.

https://www.nicehash.com/blog/post/100-lhr-unlock-at-nicehash-its-here

Went out and bought a card last night to test it out myself and sure enough am getting better efficiency out of my 3080 Ti vs. 3090.

Guessing this is going to screw up the market again? I hope not. I know BTC is in the dump right now but if it ever rebounds, card prices are likely to go back up again.

What do you guys think?

It's probably just my tinfoil hat tingling, but sure seems handy that the LHR is unlocked just as MSRP gets close.

But, I'm thinking it won't be enough to get back to previous demand levels. I think we'll still get back to normal pricing, until the 40-series hits.

I doubt we'll see miners grab a ton of additional cards. Mining profits are really low now. I've been mining with the cards I had on hand (didn't buy any specifically for mining), but shut it down due to the warmer weather. Net profits, after electricity when the A/C is working to remove the heat from the GPUs, are very small.

It's probably just my tinfoil hat tingling, but sure seems handy that the LHR is unlocked just as MSRP gets close.

But, I'm thinking it won't be enough to get back to previous demand levels. I think we'll still get back to normal pricing, until the 40-series hits.

I think the 40-series will ultimately be fairly normal pricing if the current trend holds, unless supply is constrained due to the chip shortage, because by all accounts, demand will not be what it was during the cryptocurrency boom, and the boom is not going to be restored until money printer goes brrrrr again. I could be wrong, but that’s the trend I’m currently seeing. If we have a good supply of raw materials, we might be in good shape. Gamer demand may be high for those of us who waited it out to get a card, but there will be a lot of gamers who overpaid for a 30-series card that won’t be able to resell it for nearly as much, so they may stick it out for a bit.

It could be wishful thinking on my part, but optimism feels good after two years of this crazy BS!

Nicehash unlocks full LHR on V2 LHR cards better than any other miners before it.

https://www.nicehash.com/blog/post/100-lhr-unlock-at-nicehash-its-here

Went out and bought a card last night to test it out myself and sure enough am getting better efficiency out of my 3080 Ti vs. 3090.

Guessing this is going to screw up the market again? I hope not. I know BTC is in the dump right now but if it ever rebounds, card prices are likely to go back up again.

What do you guys think?
Naw. All LHR hurt were gamers mining at night on nicehash to buy Steam games.

The big guns were buying these things by the pallet directly from Nvidia/AIBs. LHR or no, they got their ROI.

I doubt we'll see miners grab a ton of additional cards. Mining profits are really low now. I've been mining with the cards I had on hand (didn't buy any specifically for mining), but shut it down due to the warmer weather. Net profits, after electricity when the A/C is working to remove the heat from the GPUs, are very small.
really? my 5600XTs and 2080 supers are still netting 200% profit a day compared to the cost of running them. and those are not the most efficient cards on the planet. i like when crypto 'crashes' so i can mine more of it in a shorter time because everyone else stops mining.

Night and day difference in rates on a 3080ti.
What are you getting. Am stuck at 103-104 MH/s. But I only pushed memory by 550 MHz and am using manual tweaking to keep the noise down. Hate the 100% fan speed in default NH profiles.

I been very happy with my Zotac RTX 3070 AMP Holo LHR in just light gaming, I have no plans to mine, but when I resell it someday, it should be very easy to show it's still locked, and the buyer is not getting a mining card.

I been very happy with my Zotac RTX 3070 AMP Holo LHR in just light gaming, I have no plans to mine, but when I resell it someday, it should be very easy to show it's still locked, and the buyer is not getting a mining card.

Locked in what way? LHR? I'm not aware of any way to actually unlock it permanently.

Just for people who are wondering about hash rates on a 3080 Ti. I recently had a Suprim X that was barely doing 102-104 MH/s. It was noisy and vram was hitting 106 C and sometimes even 110 C.

I sold it and bought a Palit Gamerock 3080 Ti and instantly this card is a beauty. Hits 114 MH/s and VRAM never moves above 96 C. Also fan noise doesn’t exist.

This gen I tried Palit, Gigabyte, EVGA, ASUS, Zotac and MSI. Only ASUS TUF and Palit were truly silent cards. Gigabyte also did well with their gaming OC cards that I tried. However, VRAM has only been decent on Palit for GDDRX memory. All other cards routinely hit 102-110 C VRAM when mining. Most would hit 100% fan speed if you didn’t set fan speed manually. Palit even without a manual curve never hits 100%.

Models I tried are:

EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra - VRAM 104 C
Asus TUF 3080 - VRAM 110 C
EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra - VRAM 104 C
EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra Hybrid Kit - VRAM 110 C
Gigabyte 3070 Gaming OC
ASUS 3070 Dual KO
Palit Gamerock 3070
Gigabyte Eagle 3080 Ti - VRAM 100 C
MSI Suprim X 3080 Ti - VRAM 106 C
Zotac 3080 12 GB - VRAM 94 C
Palit Gamerock 3080 Ti - VRAM 96 C
Palit 3070
Incoming is EVGA 3090 Ti FTW3 - TBD

Fan noise was worst in Zotac. Second would be MSI. Third EVGA.

Palit gamerock cards have been dope af. Next time I am only ever buying these.

Last edited:
When I tried the unlock on my 3080ti FTW3, I managed to get 121-122mh/s. But it's in a waterblock. Max mem temp was 64C.

I don't see this having any effect on card availability at all. You can pretty much buy whatever you want at this point.

But then again, availability was never really about mining...it was just a convenient scapegoat for the uninformed (see also the fact that you can't buy a PS5 readily that never could mine anything).

I don't see this having any effect on card availability at all. You can pretty much buy whatever you want at this point.

But then again, availability was never really about mining...it was just a convenient scapegoat for the uninformed (see also the fact that you can't buy a PS5 readily that never could mine anything).
Yep. Angry gamers who were uninformed as usual and following the media lemmings bandwagon of clickbait hype.

What are you getting. Am stuck at 103-104 MH/s. But I only pushed memory by 550 MHz and am using manual tweaking to keep the noise down. Hate the 100% fan speed in default NH profiles.
110-115MH/s with the occasional miss. No tweaking.

110-115MH/s with the occasional miss. No tweaking.
That's about what I get with a small memory OC. Nothing drastic as it runs hot in the summer.

The newest T-rex and NBMiner have an unlock also. You don't have to use the NH quickminer. Although T-rex forces a reboot every now and then for some reason (haven't tried the most recent version). NBMiner has no issues using the latest release.

Is it still profitable to mine as an individual user? I'm asking I honestly wouldn't know.

Depends on how you do it, and how powerful of a card you have. Historically, you could make the cost of the card back within 6 months or less. Not so much now unless you get a good deal on a card.

I can't imagine that the miners who were buying 30X0 series GPUs directly from the manufacturer by the pallet for their mining operations were helping much with supply issues last year.

That said, buying more GPUs for mining seems like a bad idea right now. Ethereum is supposed to switch to Proof Of Stake in a few months, and the other PoW cryptocurrencies aren't really worth mining once you factor in electricity costs.

Is it still profitable to mine as an individual user? I'm asking I honestly wouldn't know.
Depends on a number of factors:
  • Cost of electricity
  • Hash rate
  • Price you sell any coins at or when and how much?
  • Cost of the equipment, time spent, software bought (you don't have to spend any $ there)
  • Cost of cooling if you have to cool and expend power to do that
  • Time of year, where you live (cold climate or virtually always hot) or if you can use your mining cards as little heaters vice using other means to heat house or business
    • Virtually all the energy of a computer is converted into heat
    • Burning gas, coal (not so common now), electric to heat and associated costs does not have any $ potential in itself
    • mining can heat with the same amount of energy expenditure and yet gives you a $ reward therefore would always be profitable in that context
      • Now if you buy extra cards, huge expense and not get that value back -> not profitable
In other words the answer can be yes and no, you have to understand the factors involved, if you can do it, want to etc. for it to be profitable. I made way more money from ASICs than video cards which is another option as well but that is purely a dedicated purpose, specific limited algorithm use case.

Tested out the Gigabyte 3080 Ti, TRex was getting 112mh/s while keeping the memory less than 95c. Updated the driver to most recent and it could not unlock the LHR, either with NBminer or TRex. I wonder if Nvidia is fighting back to preserve their investment in their mining card line with updated drivers?

Tested out the Gigabyte 3080 Ti, TRex was getting 112mh/s while keeping the memory less than 95c. Updated the driver to most recent and it could not unlock the LHR, either with NBminer or TRex. I wonder if Nvidia is fighting back to preserve their investment in their mining card line with updated drivers?
You have to roll back your driver's. Newer ones have put the locks back on. Not sure if they have found a way to bypass newer driver locks.

Reactions: noko
like this
You have to roll back your driver's. Newer ones have put the locks back on. Not sure if they have found a way to bypass newer driver locks.
May be awhile before another unlock is found. Apparently the nvidia leak several months ago was key to getting the LHR unlock.

Back