100% GPU Usage at Idle!

Astralogic

Gawd
Hi, I'm running Windows 10 x64 on an i7 4770 and a gtx 980.

My GPU usage (as shown in Afterburner) is at 100% all the time all of a sudden, I just tried to rest my PC but it had no effect.

I used process lasso but it says nothing is using my GPU. It is being used though because I can hear my PSU fan spinning.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
My power profile is set to balanced. I ran autoruns but I can't see anything suspicious starting up :(

I ran a virus scan and it found nothing, I'm gonna give malware-bytes and spybot a go.

I actually had that once, the malware miner. And it was hidden in something where it wouldn't show in the process list. I just formatted and it never came back. It was a while ago.

Whatever it was mysteriously stopped, Malware-bytes and spybot have not yet finished their scan. Could it have been Windows doing something? It lasted for two to three hours in total.

Whatever it was mysteriously stopped, Malware-bytes and spybot have not yet finished their scan. Could it have been Windows doing something? It lasted for two to three hours in total.

That's how it works. It stops when it senses resources being used so you don't spot it, then when you go away it starts up again.

What are the best scanners to use to find this thing? Adaware antivirus didn't find it, malware-bytes and spybot are still running. I'll give super antispyware a go too.

Run a process list and dig through it. Also reboot your computer.

ctrl-alt-del -> look at startup programs

Most of the popular miners these days will get caught by WIn10. Its a pain sometime mining on Win10 with Defender running...... Do you have Defender disabled?

?

That's not a good sign. Maybe remove your alternate AV and then restart and enable Defender. Or, sometimes malware disables defender.

That's how it works. It stops when it senses resources being used so you don't spot it, then when you go away it starts up again.

Any idea how much network traffic is generated by the malware miners?
I assume looking at network traffic may also help to prove it is happening and actually that.

Just throwing out another one to consider, didn't some Pascal cards have 100% fan related bugs but I cannot remember if they came back to firmware/drivers/OS/combo of those.
Thanks

Any idea how much network traffic is generated by the malware miners?
I assume looking at network traffic may also help to prove it is happening and actually that.

Just throwing out another one to consider, didn't some Pascal cards have 100% fan related bugs but I cannot remember if they came back to firmware/drivers/OS/combo of those.
Thanks
Yes, but the OP says his GPU usage is pegged at 100% and he's also using a Maxwell card.

Yes, but the OP says his GPU usage is pegged at 100% and he's also using a Maxwell card.
Ah my bad,
I looked at his profile and says 1080 while now looking back his OP says 980 doh.
But I know others had 100% fan speed with Pascal outside of mining malware albeit in early days of Pascal.
Cheers

Back